|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gary write is the most important fact about skunks when running dogs?
(a) They are nocturnal.
(b) They stink.
(c) They may carry rabies.
(d) They scare dogs.
2. Why doesn't Gary feel pain when the snow hook pierces his boot?
(a) The snow hook was pulled right back out.
(b) The point landed between two of his toes.
(c) The point was dull.
(d) The point didn't go in very deep.
3. What does Gary say he had when he started training for his first Iditarod?
4. When does the Prelude take place?
(a) During Gary's second Iditarod race.
(b) Before Gary's second Iditarod race.
(c) Before Gary's first Iditarod race.
(d) During Gary's first Iditarod race.
5. How far does Gary and his team get before leaving the trail from Anchorage?
(a) Two blocks.
(b) A mile.
(c) Less than fifty yards.
(d) Ten miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during Gary's second night in the kennel?
2. What does it mean when a musher comes from "Down Below"?
3. According to Gary, what is "the be-all and end-all of running dogs on the Iditarod"?
4. The Canadian dogs remind Ruth of what?
5. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrifies Gary during his run in the first snow?
2. Why do you think the chapter is called "An End"?
3. How does Cookie warn Gary about thin ice in Norton Sound?
4. Describe the moose encounter at The Burn.
5. What is Gary's appearance when he enters the cafe at Nikolai?
6. What "absolute fundamental knowledge" scares Gary at the end of the Prelude?
7. Why does Gary stop trapping, killing, and hunting animals?
8. Describe how Gary and his team descend into Dalzell Gorge.
9. At the end of the book, what does Gary ask his friend to do? Why?
10. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)