|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Devil falls in "First Snow", why isn't he run over by the sled?
(a) The sled stopped just in time.
(b) The sled swerved away from Devil.
(c) Murphy pulled Devil up by his harness.
(d) Devil rolled out of the way.
2. What time does the banquet end?
(a) Three in the morning.
(b) An hour before the start of the race.
(d) Six in the morning.
3. What is the setting at the beginning of the book?
(a) In the northern woods of Minnesota.
(b) On the Iditarod trail.
(c) Near the Alaska Range.
(d) In the Colorado mountains.
4. When does the Prelude take place?
(a) During Gary's second Iditarod race.
(b) During Gary's first Iditarod race.
(c) Before Gary's second Iditarod race.
(d) Before Gary's first Iditarod race.
5. How does Crackers seem when Gary works ointment into the dog's feet at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gary discovers that this spice helps dogs eat when they're not hungry.
2. At the end of "Alaska", how does Gary feel about the start of the race?
3. About how many dogs are in downtown Anchorage for the start of the race?
4. What does Gary do when he finds a snared doe while training for his first race?
5. What does Gary see right after he unzips his sleeping bag and stands up at the end of the Prelude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gary's fear when he learns his diagnosis in "An End."
2. At the Rohn River checkpoint, how does Gary rationalize the idea of quitting the race?
3. Describe Gary's run in The Yukon.
4. What is Gary's dilemma about helping the other team at the beginning of the race? What does he decide to do?
5. How do the people in Alaska help Gary?
6. What things are discussed during the musher meetings?
7. Gary writes in the Prologue, "Everything had been done wrong." What does he think he did wrong?
8. Why is Gary elated when he reaches the checkpoint at Rainy Pass Lodge?
9. What is Gary's appearance when he enters the cafe at Nikolai?
10. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)