|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far does Gary and his team get before leaving the trail from Anchorage?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Two blocks.
(c) Less than fifty yards.
(d) A mile.
2. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
(a) They fight with her.
(b) They bark at her.
(c) They chase her away.
(d) They wag their tails and nuzzle her.
3. When do Gary and the dogs arrive in Alaska?
(a) Early February.
(b) Late January.
(c) Late December.
(d) Late November.
4. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
(a) "Take only seven dogs."
(b) "Bring plenty of supplies."
(c) "Take the light sled."
(d) "Wait until tomorrow."
5. According to Gary, what is the race primarily about?
(b) Being knowledgeable.
(d) Caring for the dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth say to Gary when she brings him soup in "Beginnings"?
2. Where does the trapping trail outside of Anchorage end?
3. In the opening story of the book, where does Gary end up after he is blown sideways?
4. What happens to Gary's food at Finger Lake?
5. What does Gary say he had when he started training for his first Iditarod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "absolute fundamental knowledge" scares Gary at the end of the Prelude?
2. What is Gary's appearance when he enters the cafe at Nikolai?
3. Describe Gary's fear when he learns his diagnosis in "An End."
4. What goes wrong for Gary between the start of the race and the time he rejoins the trail?
5. In the first chapter, what amazes Gary about Marge and the grouse?
6. How does the snow accumulate in northern Minnesota?
7. How does the red-bearded musher in "Alaska" react when his lead dog bites Gary?
8. What happens when Gary asks the doctor, "Is there a time?"
9. In "Skwentna," describe the encounter with the moose on the way back to the true trail.
10. Describe Gary's experience with the campfire outside of Kaltag?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)