|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The mushers need to be in Anchorage how long before the start of the race?
(a) Two days.
(b) The night.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A week.
2. What does Gary do when he finds a snared doe while training for his first race?
(a) He cuts off the noose.
(b) He curses then moves his team along.
(c) He watches the doe struggle and finally die.
(d) He watches the doe free herself.
3. What happens to Gary's food at Finger Lake?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) It is rotten and must be thrown away.
(c) He gives it to his dogs.
(d) It mixes with the dogs' food.
4. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
(a) "Take only seven dogs."
(b) "Take the light sled."
(c) "Wait until tomorrow."
(d) "Bring plenty of supplies."
5. What does Gary write is the most important fact about skunks when running dogs?
(a) They are nocturnal.
(b) They stink.
(c) They may carry rabies.
(d) They scare dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary say when Ruth asks if he had a rough night after looking for the dogs and bike?
2. What becomes Gary's mantra?
3. Where does the trapping trail outside of Anchorage end?
4. Why is Ruth crying when Gary and the team leave Knik?
5. What becomes strikingly clear when Gary gets to Alaska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
2. Describe the incident in "Major Wrecks" when Gary and his team encounter the skunks.
3. What is "the Burn?"
4. What is Gary's dilemma about helping the other team at the beginning of the race? What does he decide to do?
5. Describe Gary's experience with the campfire outside of Kaltag?
6. How does the snow accumulate in northern Minnesota?
7. When Gary hears his diagnosis at the end of the book, what does he think about? Be specific.
8. Gary writes in the Prologue, "Everything had been done wrong." What does he think he did wrong?
9. What paradox of the race does Gary write about in "Alaska"?
10. At the end of the book, what does Gary ask his friend to do? Why?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)