|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During race training, how long does Marge stay with Gary and his team?
(a) One week.
(b) One night.
(c) One night and the next morning.
(d) Three days.
2. Why do the dogs run towards the beaver on the frozen lake while Gary is training for his first race?
(a) To scare it away.
(b) To see what it is.
(c) To kill it because it is a threat.
(d) To kill it for food.
3. Why does Gary carry a gun?
(a) To hunt.
(b) To shoot feral dogs.
(c) To protect himself against other mushers.
(d) To protect himself from his dogs.
4. What does it mean when a musher comes from "Down Below"?
(a) When racing, he or she comes from behind to win the race.
(b) He or she is a native of Alaska.
(c) He or she comes from a place with below-zero temperatures.
(d) He or she is from the lower forty-eight states.
5. What does Gary do when he first gets home after he encounters the snared doe?
(a) He makes a fire.
(b) He quietly enters the house and gets into bed.
(c) He sits on top of Cookie's house.
(d) He goes to the kitchen to get food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first official race checkpoint?
2. Why does Gary attend the pre-race banquet?
3. How many other teams follow Gary onto the trapping trail?
4. How often should a dog's feet be examined while running the Iditarod?
5. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the musher who leaves Shaktolik just before Gary does?
2. In "Alaska," what does Gary mean when he writes, "Sleep died early"?
3. What is "the Burn?"
4. What things are discussed during the musher meetings?
5. Why is Gary elated when he reaches the checkpoint at Rainy Pass Lodge?
6. What is Gary's dilemma about helping the other team at the beginning of the race? What does he decide to do?
7. What is Gary's appearance when he enters the cafe at Nikolai?
8. Describe Gary's run in The Yukon.
9. What happens when Gary asks the doctor, "Is there a time?"
10. How does the snow accumulate in northern Minnesota?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)