|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gary finally get his first real sleep?
(a) In a cabin.
(b) On his sled.
(c) Next to the fire.
(d) In a lodge.
2. In "An End", where is Gary's bandage?
(a) On his finger.
(b) On his chest.
(c) On his arm.
(d) On his leg.
3. What type of terrain do the teams encounter between Shaktolik and Koyuk?
4. Where is Rainy Pass Lodge?
(a) At the summit of Rainy Pass.
(b) On a mountain peak.
(c) In a depression.
(d) In a mountain valley.
5. What does Gary know about Happy Canyon when he leaves the Finger Lake checkpoint?
(a) It is between Finger Lake and Rainy Pass.
(b) It goes down a cliff.
(c) It is a near-vertical drop.
(d) It is soon after Finger Lake.
6. What is Gary's diagnosis at the end of the book?
(a) Coronary heart disease.
(b) Old age.
(d) Multiple Sclerosis.
7. What is the maximum speed of a team in The Interior?
(a) Three miles per hour.
(b) Six miles per hour.
(c) Ten miles per hour.
(d) Five miles per hour.
8. What are the buffalo doing in The Burn?
(b) Trying to cross the river.
9. What is the Doughnut man's punishment?
(a) He is attacked by his other dogs.
(b) He has to pay a huge fine.
(c) Gary shoots him in the leg.
(d) He is disqualified and barred from the Iditarod for life.
10. What happens to Gary at the Rohn River checkpoint?
(a) He gets stitches for his wounds.
(b) He has a hot meal at a cafe.
(c) He starts to think about quitting.
(d) He finally gets some sleep.
11. Why doesn't Gary stop at Kaltag?
(a) He isn't tired.
(b) There aren't any restaurants.
(c) The drunk villagers are bothering him.
(d) He is anxious to finish the race.
12. How many meals does Gary eat at the cafe in Nikolai?
13. What does the reporter ask Gary at the finish line?
(a) "How long do you think you were out there?"
(b) "What have you got to say?"
(c) "Did you ever think of quitting?"
(d) "What advice do you have for future racers?"
14. What does Gary say to the other musher in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) "I'm thinking about quitting."
(b) "Tough race, isn't it?"
(c) "Where am I?"
(d) "I've got them."
15. How does Cookie run on the frozen stream bed?
(a) She won't go onto the frozen stream bed.
(b) She slides on her belly most of the time.
(c) She plays "crack the whip".
(d) She has a hard time getting her footing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gary lying down in Dalzell Gorge?
2. For whom is the ham radio operator looking?
3. What is Gary thinking about when he first sees the lights of Nome?
4. How does Gary describe the terrain of The Interior?
5. How many full teams are in the basin?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)