|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is the ham radio operator looking?
(a) A lost dog.
(b) A fellow musher.
(c) The person in charge of the race.
(d) One of the checkers.
2. What is touted as the worst part of the race?
(a) The run to Shageluk.
(b) The Burn.
(c) The run up the Yukon River.
(d) Happy Canyon.
3. Nikolai is about what temperature in degrees Fahrenheit?
(a) Twenty below zero.
(b) Fifty below zero.
4. How many Iditarod teams receive prize money?
(a) The first ten.
(b) First, second, and third.
(c) The first twenty.
(d) All teams that cross the finish line.
5. Where is the other musher in The Burn?
(b) On a ridge.
(c) Lying on the ground.
(d) In a river.
6. Out of seventy teams, where is Gary and his team running when they reach Nikolai?
(a) In the sixties.
(b) In the twenties.
(c) In the forties
(d) In the thirties.
7. Which of these mountains must be crossed between Koyuk and Nome?
8. How cold do the natives say it gets in The Yukon?
(a) Cold enough that you can't piss.
(b) Cold enough to freeze your nose hairs.
(c) Cold enough to spit and have it bounce.
(d) Cold enough that your eyes freeze shut.
9. What does Devil do to another dog in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) Bite his toe off.
(b) Scratch his eye out.
(c) Bite his ear off.
(d) Claw a hole in his side.
10. How does Gary describe the terrain of The Interior?
(a) A winter wonderland.
(b) Heavily forested.
(c) Alien barrenness.
11. What is the distance between Shaktolik and Koyuk?
(a) One hundred five miles.
(b) Eighty-five miles.
(c) Seventy-five miles.
(d) Fifty-five miles.
12. Where is Shageluk?
(a) Near the Yukon River.
(b) At Norton Sound.
(c) On the coast of the Bering Sea.
(d) In the mountains.
13. Why doesn't Gary stop at Kaltag?
(a) The drunk villagers are bothering him.
(b) He isn't tired.
(c) He is anxious to finish the race.
(d) There aren't any restaurants.
14. When does "An End" take place?
(a) Right after "Nome."
(b) Between the events in "Nome" and "Prelude."
(c) After the events in "Prelude."
(d) After Gary wins a dog race.
15. At the end of the book, who does the doctor see right before he sees Gary?
(a) A gunshot victim.
(b) A child.
(c) Gary's son.
(d) Gary's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary NOT think when the doctor gives him his diagnosis in "An End"?
2. How many teams stop at Don's Cabin, including Gary's team?
3. What is the distance between Iditarod and Shageluk?
4. What type of terrain do the teams encounter between Shaktolik and Koyuk?
5. Why does it seem like Rainy Pass should be difficult to run?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)