|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gary doing when he almost runs into another sled and team outside Shageluk?
(a) Cleaning his boots.
(b) Looking for a candy bar.
(c) Replacing the batteries in his headlamp.
(d) Adjusting the tug line.
2. What is one way that Cookie does NOT alert Gary to danger in Norton Sound?
(a) She raises her tail straight up.
(b) She comes to a dead stop.
(c) She slows her pace.
(d) She gets up on her tiptoes.
3. How does Gary spend most of his time in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) On his back.
(b) On his sled.
(c) On his face.
(d) On his butt.
4. At the end of the book, who does the doctor see right before he sees Gary?
(a) A gunshot victim.
(b) Gary's wife.
(c) A child.
(d) Gary's son.
5. How many teams stop at Don's Cabin, including Gary's team?
6. What does Devil do to another dog in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) Bite his toe off.
(b) Claw a hole in his side.
(c) Scratch his eye out.
(d) Bite his ear off.
7. Which of these mountains must be crossed between Koyuk and Nome?
8. What is touted as the worst part of the race?
(a) The run up the Yukon River.
(b) Happy Canyon.
(c) The Burn.
(d) The run to Shageluk.
9. What does Gary think as he lies in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) "Is the race over?"
(b) "Where are my dogs?"
(c) "Why am I lying down?"
(d) "Where am I?"
10. What does Gary know about Happy Canyon when he leaves the Finger Lake checkpoint?
(a) It is a near-vertical drop.
(b) It is between Finger Lake and Rainy Pass.
(c) It goes down a cliff.
(d) It is soon after Finger Lake.
11. To what does Gary compare the intensity of his hunger in Nikolai?
(a) Being in love.
(b) Not sleeping for a week.
(c) Being freezing cold.
(d) Having bruised ribs.
12. What is the distance between Shaktolik and Koyuk?
(a) One hundred five miles.
(b) Eighty-five miles.
(c) Fifty-five miles.
(d) Seventy-five miles.
13. According to Gary, what is "that which is cold"?
(a) The Alaska Range.
(b) The Yukon River.
(d) The Iditarod.
14. Where is Don's Cabin?
(a) Between Ray's Lodge and Ophir.
(b) Between Ophir and Iditarod.
(c) Between Iditarod and Shageluk.
(d) Between Iditarod and Rainy Pass.
15. What happens when Gary steps off his sled while in the basin?
(a) A moose appears.
(b) He realizes it is nighttime.
(c) He realizes he has been hallucinating.
(d) A man's head appears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gary lying down in Dalzell Gorge?
2. In the last chapter, where is Gary when he first sees the doctor?
3. How far is it from Koyuk to Nome?
4. What is the distance between Iditarod and Shageluk?
5. What does Gary say to the other musher in Dalzell Gorge?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)