|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gary spend most of his time in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) On his butt.
(b) On his back.
(c) On his sled.
(d) On his face.
2. Out of seventy teams, where is Gary and his team running when they reach Nikolai?
(a) In the thirties.
(b) In the sixties.
(c) In the twenties.
(d) In the forties
3. What is the Doughnut man's punishment?
(a) Gary shoots him in the leg.
(b) He is attacked by his other dogs.
(c) He is disqualified and barred from the Iditarod for life.
(d) He has to pay a huge fine.
4. For whom is the ham radio operator looking?
(a) One of the checkers.
(b) A lost dog.
(c) A fellow musher.
(d) The person in charge of the race.
5. How many other mushers are in the house in Shaktolik?
6. In "An End", where is Gary's bandage?
(a) On his finger.
(b) On his leg.
(c) On his chest.
(d) On his arm.
7. What is Gary thinking about when he first sees the lights of Nome?
(a) The old man who had asked him to live on the coast.
(b) The possibility that he will lose his toes to frostbite.
(c) How he wants to keep going past Nome.
(d) His wife and son.
8. What does the old man in Unalakleet offer Gary?
(a) His bed for the night.
(b) A warm fire.
(c) A place for him and his family after the race.
(d) A bowl of moose chili.
9. What is the first thing the doctor in "An End" says to Gary?
(a) "You need surgery right away."
(b) "The tests are positive."
(c) "You are fit as a fiddle."
(d) "Your wife should be here."
10. What does Gary NOT think when the doctor gives him his diagnosis in "An End"?
(a) "But my son hasn't graduated from college yet."
(b) "But I haven't learned how to release the bowstring."
(c) "But I've just become successful."
(d) "But I haven't climbed Mt. Everest yet."
11. In the last chapter, where is Gary when he first sees the doctor?
(a) In a bed.
(b) On an exam table.
(c) Standing in the doorway.
(d) In a chair.
12. What is Gary's diagnosis at the end of the book?
(b) Multiple Sclerosis.
(c) Coronary heart disease.
(d) Old age.
13. Where does Gary finally get his first real sleep?
(a) In a cabin.
(b) Next to the fire.
(c) In a lodge.
(d) On his sled.
14. How does the doctor in "An End" look when Gary first sees him?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is laughing.
(c) He is frowning.
(d) He is crying.
15. Why does it seem like Rainy Pass should be difficult to run?
(a) The snow is so deep.
(b) It is sheer ice.
(c) The wind is so strong.
(d) The teams have to cross the Alaska Range.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary do when he starts to get really cold in The Yukon?
2. At Don's Cabin, why is the Doughnut man so angry?
3. About how many miles is The Interior portion of the race?
4. In "An End", what is the doctor wearing?
5. What does Gary tell the checker about going up Rainy Pass?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)