|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other mushers unofficially vote Gary to be?
(a) Least likely to get out of Anchorage.
(b) Most likely to be the last to cross the finish line.
(c) Least likely to ask for help.
(d) Most likely to get trapped in the Burn.
2. What does Ruth say to Gary after his skunk encounter in "Major Wrecks"?
(a) "What happened to you?"
(b) "What's that smell?"
(c) "You need a shower."
(d) "Why don't you change your clothes?"
3. How many other teams follow Gary onto the trapping trail?
4. What is one mistake that Gary makes right before the race starts?
(a) He forgets to bring his hat.
(b) He gets in the wrong line order.
(c) He forgets to tie up the dogs.
(d) He changes his lead dog.
5. About how many dogs are in downtown Anchorage for the start of the race?
(a) Fourteen hundred.
(b) Six hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Two thousand.
6. Which of these is NOT a mistake Gary makes when he starts training?
(a) He uses too many dogs.
(b) He doesn't use enough dogs.
(c) He doesn't feed the dogs meat.
(d) He loads his rig with gear.
7. How long is the trail that the team runs in "First Snow"?
(a) About one hundred miles.
(b) About seventy miles.
(c) About ten miles.
(d) About twenty miles.
8. When does Gary start thinking like a dog?
(a) When he is bitten by one of his dogs.
(b) When he sleeps with them in the kennel.
(c) When he harnesses himself to the team.
(d) When he spends the day on his hands and knees.
9. In the opening story of the book, where does Gary end up after he is blown sideways?
(a) Against a rocky outcropping.
(b) On top of one of the dogs.
(c) Under an avalanche of snow.
(d) At the bottom of a canyon.
10. What does Ruth think will be Gary's biggest problem in the race?
(a) Having enough supplies.
(b) Finishing it.
(c) Getting the dogs to stop at Nome.
(d) Getting enough rest.
11. Gary discovers that this spice helps dogs eat when they're not hungry.
12. At the end of "Alaska", how does Gary feel about the start of the race?
(a) He doesn't think he will make it out of Anchorage.
(b) He is worried that he doesn't have enough supplies.
(c) He is worried that he doesn't have enough dogs.
(d) He feels that he and the dogs are ready.
13. What does Gary NOT do when he reaches the Finger Lake checkpoint?
(a) Rub the dogs' shoulders.
(b) Mend harnesses.
(d) Check the dogs' toes.
14. What becomes Gary's mantra?
(a) If one person can do it, another person can do it.
(b) Be true to yourself and to your dogs.
(c) Slow and steady wins the race.
(d) It's not about winning, it's about how you play the game.
15. How many dogs does Gary take to Alaska?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Gary worried when he doesn't see any other teams on the trail after he leaves Anchorage?
2. When does the Iditarod race start?
3. What does the command "Haw" mean?
4. Why do the dogs run towards the beaver on the frozen lake while Gary is training for his first race?
5. After Devil falls in "First Snow", why isn't he run over by the sled?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)