|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth crying when Gary and the team leave Knik?
(a) She wants to go home.
(b) She wants to run in the race, too.
(c) She is very tired.
(d) She heard that the trail was very dangerous.
2. How does Crackers seem when Gary works ointment into the dog's feet at the beginning of the book?
3. How long is the trail that the team runs in "First Snow"?
(a) About seventy miles.
(b) About one hundred miles.
(c) About twenty miles.
(d) About ten miles.
4. About how many teams entered the race?
(a) One hundred fifty.
(b) Two hundred.
5. When does the Iditarod race start?
(a) Late January.
(b) Early January.
(c) Early April.
(d) Early March.
6. What is the setting at the beginning of the book?
(a) In the northern woods of Minnesota.
(b) Near the Alaska Range.
(c) On the Iditarod trail.
(d) In the Colorado mountains.
7. Where does the trapping trail outside of Anchorage end?
(a) At the edge of a canyon.
(b) At a vertical rock face.
(c) At a river.
(d) At a cabin.
8. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
(a) "Wait until tomorrow."
(b) "Take only seven dogs."
(c) "Take the light sled."
(d) "Bring plenty of supplies."
9. In the Prelude Gary writes, "The difficulty came because of ____________."
(a) The snow.
(b) The terrain.
(c) The "problem" dogs.
(d) A headache.
10. What does Gary see Marge hunt?
11. What awakens Gary while he is training for his second Iditarod?
(a) One of the dogs.
(c) The extreme cold.
(d) A loud noise.
12. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
(a) They chase her away.
(b) They wag their tails and nuzzle her.
(c) They fight with her.
(d) They bark at her.
13. While training for his first race, why doesn't Gary sleep well?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) The dogs are whining.
(c) The scenery is too beautiful.
(d) A moose comes too close.
14. About how many dog booties would be needed for one team for the entire race?
(a) Eleven hundred.
(b) Two thousand.
(c) Six hundred.
(d) Four pairs a day for each dog.
15. Why does Gary carry a gun?
(a) To shoot feral dogs.
(b) To protect himself against other mushers.
(c) To hunt.
(d) To protect himself from his dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Gary and the dogs arrive in Alaska?
2. About how long does Gary and his team stop at the Finger Lake checkpoint?
3. What does Gary say he had when he started training for his first Iditarod?
4. What does the command "Haw" mean?
5. What does it mean when a musher comes from "Down Below"?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)