|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Gary start thinking like a dog?
(a) When he is bitten by one of his dogs.
(b) When he spends the day on his hands and knees.
(c) When he harnesses himself to the team.
(d) When he sleeps with them in the kennel.
2. How many dogs does Gary take to Alaska?
3. Why does Gary attend the pre-race banquet?
(a) It is mandatory.
(b) He wants to meet other mushers.
(c) He isn't tired.
(d) He has completed his last-minute preparations.
4. About how long does Gary and his team stop at the Finger Lake checkpoint?
(a) All night.
(b) Four hours.
(c) A day.
(d) One hour.
5. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
(a) "Take only seven dogs."
(b) "Wait until tomorrow."
(c) "Take the light sled."
(d) "Bring plenty of supplies."
6. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
(a) They chase her away.
(b) They fight with her.
(c) They wag their tails and nuzzle her.
(d) They bark at her.
7. What does the checker at Finger lake offer to Gary's team?
(c) Fresh meat.
(d) Straw beds.
8. Where does Gary get the old bike he uses for dog running?
(a) It was his childhood bike.
(b) At an auction.
(c) From a neighbor.
(d) He found it in the barn.
9. What is Gary's number for the race?
10. What does Ruth say to Gary after his skunk encounter in "Major Wrecks"?
(a) "What's that smell?"
(b) "What happened to you?"
(c) "You need a shower."
(d) "Why don't you change your clothes?"
11. In "First Snow", how much snow is on the ground?
(a) None--it melted right away.
(b) A foot.
(c) A dusting.
(d) Four or five inches.
12. Why doesn't Gary feel pain when the snow hook pierces his boot?
(a) The point was dull.
(b) The point didn't go in very deep.
(c) The snow hook was pulled right back out.
(d) The point landed between two of his toes.
13. What becomes Gary's mantra?
(a) If one person can do it, another person can do it.
(b) Slow and steady wins the race.
(c) It's not about winning, it's about how you play the game.
(d) Be true to yourself and to your dogs.
14. What is the setting at the beginning of the book?
(a) In the Colorado mountains.
(b) On the Iditarod trail.
(c) Near the Alaska Range.
(d) In the northern woods of Minnesota.
15. What is the "presence" that Gary feels in the Prelude?
(a) A mountain of snow.
(b) His sled.
(c) One of his dogs.
(d) Another musher.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gary, what is the most important tenet of running dogs?
2. What happens when the team gets to the end of the driveway to run in the first snow of the season?
3. What does it mean when a musher comes from "Down Below"?
4. When does the Iditarod race start?
5. At the end of "Alaska", how does Gary feel about the start of the race?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)