|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Race: The Yukon; Unalakleet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gary get through the bitterly cold nights in The Yukon?
(a) He runs in spurts.
(b) He drinks hot tea.
(c) He makes a fire.
(d) He snuggles into his sleeping bag.
2. How cold do the natives say it gets in The Yukon?
(a) Cold enough to freeze your nose hairs.
(b) Cold enough that your eyes freeze shut.
(c) Cold enough that you can't piss.
(d) Cold enough to spit and have it bounce.
3. What does Gary do when he starts to get really cold in The Yukon?
(a) He stops and puts on warmer clothes.
(b) He stops to rest for the night.
(c) He puts sweaters on the dogs.
(d) He ignores the cold, hoping it is only temporary.
4. How long is the run in Dalzell Gorge?
(a) Thirty miles.
(b) Fifty miles.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Forty miles.
5. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
(a) "Bring plenty of supplies."
(b) "Take the light sled."
(c) "Wait until tomorrow."
(d) "Take only seven dogs."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary tell the checker about going up Rainy Pass?
2. What happens when the team gets to the end of the driveway to run in the first snow of the season?
3. Why does Gary stop before reaching Unalakleet?
4. According to Gary, what is "that which is cold"?
5. Along the Yukon River, what does Gary estimate the temperature to be in degrees Fahrenheit?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)