|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Davenport meet with John Mueller?
2. What household appliance was used to start the fire?
3. What domestic chore is the wife doing during the conversation?
4. What is the surname of the local priest?
5. What is the character obsessed with at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Iceman realizes that he cannot get away on the sled?
2. What does the yellow-haired girl suspect about the Iceman? What is the Iceman's reply?
3. How is the Iceman introduced in Chapter1? What is the man doing?
4. What happened with the Schoeneckers? Did they confess?
5. What happens when Claudia goes out to the garage to stoke the wood stove? How does Claudia react?
6. What is the opinion of the other people on the case regarding Bergen's death?
7. What happens to Weather on the way home from work?
8. What is so tragic about Climpt's past?
9. What happens when Davenport discovers that the publisher does not have the photo?
10. What item does the Iceman want in exchange for the girl? What does he do with the item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your own murder mystery based on "Winter Prey." Use Davenport as the lead character. Also include Weather and the sheriff. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Lucas and Weather. What is the common ground for their relationship? How do their professional lives often interfere with their personal relationship? How does one know when a boundary has been crossed? Do they respect each other? How has their relationship evolved? Where might it go from here? Do you think the relationship will ever change drastically?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Sandford uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Sanford's mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)