|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
2. How does Mose die?
3. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
4. Where does the family decide to bury the narrator's grandmother?
5. After the grandmother's death, what does Yellow Calf reveal to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator goes out to visit Yellow Calf the second time, how is his visit significant to the story?
2. After the old woman's death, the narrator walks out on the plains alone to think. What significant event occurs while he is out there?
3. When Ferdinand Horn offers his condolences, is he truly sorry?
4. What does the narrator think about while struggling to rescue the cow at the end of the book?
5. In Chapter 42, while the narrator begins to lose consciousness after his horse slips, what does he realize?
6. After spending several days in Havre, how does the narrator go about returning home, and why?
7. When Ferdinand Horn and his wife come to offer condolences, why does the wife seem so interested in the narrator's girlfriend and how does the narrator react?
8. When the narrator returns home from Havre, how does he feel?
9. After the narrator digs his grandmother's grave, what does he begin to think about, and what effect do his thoughts have on him?
10. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator determine to do and how is this different from the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though First Raise is already dead when the story begins, what role does he play? How do his actions and example affect the narrator, both in life and in death?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the narrator initially go after his girlfriend? How does he seem to feel about her? Does this change later in the novel, and if so, why?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, the narrator loses his electric razor and his rifle to a woman he claims to care nothing about. How is this symbolic?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)