|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After giving money to the woman in Havre, what does the narrator watch her children do as he waits?
2. How many years are between Yellow Calf and the old woman?
3. What is the last question the man in the car asks the narrator after giving him a ride home from Havre?
4. After his night with Marlene, where does the narrator walk out to?
5. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what goes wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator walks out on the plains after his grandmother's death, what does he tell Old Bird?
2. When the narrator sees the white man arrested, how is he treated by the other bar patrons?
3. When the narrator goes out to visit Yellow Calf the second time, how is his visit significant to the story?
4. While the narrator is riding home from Havre, what does he notice about the little girl in the car and how is that significant?
5. Why does First Raise take the narrator to visit Yellow Calf and why is that significant?
6. After the narrator digs his grandmother's grave, what does he begin to think about, and what effect do his thoughts have on him?
7. When Ferdinand Horn offers his condolences, is he truly sorry?
8. When the narrator returns home from Havre, how does he feel?
9. What kind of a relationship do the old woman and Yellow Calf have throughout the years before Teresa's birth?
10. How is the narrator treated by the people who give him a ride home from Havre, and how is that typical of his experiences with outsiders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the narrator have to defend the memory of his father to Lame Bull? How does their first interaction affect their relationship for the remainder of the story?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, the family dresses up and attends the funeral of the grandmother. What is ironic about the situation?
Essay Topic 3
What differences can be pinpointed in the narrator before his brother's death, and after? Besides his age, what has changed in the behavior of the narrator since he was twelve-years-old?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)