|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Teresa act at the funeral?
2. Outside the Palace Bar, who questions the narrator while he is standing in the crowd?
3. What is the first thing the narrator does after arriving at the Palace Bar in Havre?
4. In Havre, what does the narrator do when the woman doesn't return with his money?
5. After going to the Palace Bar in Havre to meet the traveling white man, what does the narrator see out the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the narrator is digging his grandmother's grave, what does he remember about his father?
2. When the narrator goes out to visit Yellow Calf the second time, how is his visit significant to the story?
3. In Chapter 42, while the narrator begins to lose consciousness after his horse slips, what does he realize?
4. After the narrator spends several days in Havre, what does he finally want to do, and why?
5. Why does the narrator treat Marlene badly?
6. When the narrator returns home from Havre, what does he think about while he is alone?
7. What complicates the narrator's attempt to save the cow at the end of the book?
8. What does the narrator think about while struggling to rescue the cow at the end of the book?
9. What kind of a relationship do the old woman and Yellow Calf have throughout the years before Teresa's birth?
10. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator determine to do and how is this different from the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Numerous times throughout the story, the narrator has to remind different characters of his age. How does this necessity contribute to the main character's difficulties? Why does he sometimes have to remind himself that he is thirty-two-years-old?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, the narrator attempts to rescue a cow and ends up nearly dying. How does this affect his outlook on life? Does that ordeal change him or does he remain unfeeling like he did at the beginning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, the narrator loses his electric razor and his rifle to a woman he claims to care nothing about. How is this symbolic?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)