|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning from Havre and bathing, who does the narrator find is still on the ranch with him?
2. While digging his grandmother's grave, what memory does the narrator recall?
3. While hitching a ride home from Havre, what kind of plant does the family stop their car next to for the girl to run behind?
4. While herding cattle, where do the narrator and Mose decide to take them?
5. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator walks out on the plains after his grandmother's death, what does he tell Old Bird?
2. When Lame Bull gives the eulogy for the old woman, what is it like?
3. After spending several days in Havre, how does the narrator go about returning home, and why?
4. When the narrator sees the white man arrested, how is he treated by the other bar patrons?
5. When the narrator returns home from Havre, how does he feel?
6. How is the narrator treated by the people who give him a ride home from Havre, and how is that typical of his experiences with outsiders?
7. After the narrator sleeps with Marlene, what is different about him?
8. How does Lame Bull react to the death of the grandmother?
9. After the narrator spends several days in Havre, what does he finally want to do, and why?
10. While the narrator is digging his grandmother's grave, what does he remember about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though First Raise is already dead when the story begins, what role does he play? How do his actions and example affect the narrator, both in life and in death?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, the narrator attempts to rescue a cow and ends up nearly dying. How does this affect his outlook on life? Does that ordeal change him or does he remain unfeeling like he did at the beginning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Teresa's memory and attitudes towards his father affect the narrator? Is her influence on him positive or negative? Why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)