|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what goes wrong?
2. After rescuing the cow, what does the narrator realize about his male relatives as he lays on the ground?
3. While the narrator is losing consciousness after Old Bird falls, what does he hear?
4. While hitching a ride home from Havre, what is between the narrator and the little girl in the back seat?
5. After giving money to the woman in Havre, what does the narrator watch her children do as he waits?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the old woman's death, the narrator walks out on the plains alone to think. What significant event occurs while he is out there?
2. Based on the behavior of the white traveling man, what may have happened if the narrator had driven him over the border?
3. Why does First Raise take the narrator to visit Yellow Calf and why is that significant?
4. When the narrator nearly dies in Chapter 42, what does he suddenly understand about dying?
5. How is the narrator treated by the people who give him a ride home from Havre, and how is that typical of his experiences with outsiders?
6. When the narrator returns home from Havre, what does he think about while he is alone?
7. After the narrator sleeps with Marlene, what is different about him?
8. Why does the narrator treat Marlene badly?
9. After spending several days in Havre, how does the narrator go about returning home, and why?
10. While the narrator is riding home from Havre, what does he notice about the little girl in the car and how is that significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the city that makes the narrator ultimately want to leave? How is this significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
During the story, the narrator is drunk, robbed, beaten, and nearly arrested. How much of the narrator's background contributes to his misfortune? How much is the result of his own choices?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel the narrator interacts with a number of different people. What do his experiences with other people say about his character?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)