|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator dream about while staying in Malta?
2. In Malta, what subject does the narrator argue with the other hotel bar patrons about?
3. After losing Dougie in Malta, the narrator walks through a movie theater. Who does he see on the screen?
4. After the narrator returns home from Malta, he goes to visit an old man. What is his name?
5. While in Havre, the narrator remembers a day with his brother. Where were he and his brother going?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator goes fishing in Chapter Three, what is significant about the color of the river?
2. What does the narrator dislike about the relationship between the priest and his mother?
3. When Lame Bull and Teresa return from Malta in Chapter Six, what is different about them and how does this change the direction of the plot?
4. Based on the information the author has given us up to Chapter Sixteen, how is the narrator's financial situation?
5. In Chapter Fourteen, what impression does the girlfriend's brother give the narrator about her?
6. When the narrator left the reservation and went to Tacoma, why did he leave his job there and how does this fit into the narrator's backward feelings about his heritage?
7. After being beaten by Dougie, why doesn't the narrator retaliate?
8. Other than his family members, how does the narrator interact with women?
9. After meeting with his girlfriend and being beaten, why does the narrator agree to drink with another woman?
10. What attitude do the narrator's people have toward the Cree people, and how is this shown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the narrator fall in with the traveling white man? What is it about the man that attracts the narrator? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel the narrator interacts with a number of different people. What do his experiences with other people say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator initially go after his girlfriend? How does he seem to feel about her? Does this change later in the novel, and if so, why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)