|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator give to his grandmother after Teresa and Lame Bull leave the house?
2. After being beaten in the Havre bar, who helps the narrator?
3. On the day the narrator and his brother are on the range, what do they decide has happened to their missing cow?
4. While thinking about a day with his brother, the narrator remembers that his brother said they shouldn't leave their work until the next day. What is the reason?
5. What does the narrator's father dream about, but never does?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than his family members, how does the narrator interact with women?
2. Based on his reactions so far, does the narrator seem to be a compassionate person? Why or why not?
3. What attitude do the narrator's people have toward the Cree people, and how is this shown?
4. How does Lame Bull treat the narrator and how does it affect him?
5. How does the narrator react to people who are not from the reservation?
6. What is Yellow Calf, the old man, like?
7. In Chapter 25, what are Mose and the narrator doing out on the range?
8. Why does the narrator think Lame Bull has married his mother, and how does he feel about it?
9. After meeting the traveling white man for the second time, what does the narrator think about him?
10. While the narrator is fishing with Lame Bull in Chapter Four, what do they argue about, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What differences can be pinpointed in the narrator before his brother's death, and after? Besides his age, what has changed in the behavior of the narrator since he was twelve-years-old?
Essay Topic 2
During the story, the narrator is drunk, robbed, beaten, and nearly arrested. How much of the narrator's background contributes to his misfortune? How much is the result of his own choices?
Essay Topic 3
What is the goal of the main character? Toward the end of the novel, does the narrator accomplish his goal? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)