|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator's grandmother stay with after 25 years as a widow?
2. While out on the range, what does Mose tell the narrator he will do with the ammo he is going to buy?
3. In Chapter 5, what does the narrator find that he thinks will help him with fishing?
4. What animal was killed because it attacked the narrator as a child?
5. What is the name of the woman the narrator meets outside the bar in Havre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think Lame Bull has married his mother, and how does he feel about it?
2. While herding cattle, what do Mose and the narrator decide to do that foreshadows a negative event?
3. At the beginning of the book, how does the narrator feel about his life?
4. In Chapter Eight, when the narrator argues with his mother about the turkey, what is significant about their differing memories?
5. When the narrator goes fishing in Chapter Three, what is significant about the color of the river?
6. When Lame Bull and Teresa return from Malta in Chapter Six, what is different about them and how does this change the direction of the plot?
7. What is Yellow Calf, the old man, like?
8. Based on his reactions so far, does the narrator seem to be a compassionate person? Why or why not?
9. Based on the information the author has given us up to Chapter Sixteen, how is the narrator's financial situation?
10. Why does the narrator agree to help the white traveling man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the narrator's realization that Yellow Calf is his grandfather? How does this affect him and his story? How does this fit in with the overall theme of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What differences can be pinpointed in the narrator before his brother's death, and after? Besides his age, what has changed in the behavior of the narrator since he was twelve-years-old?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)