|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Ferdinand Horn's second visit, what does the narrator tell him that surprises him?
(a) That their cattle have recently been branded.
(b) That Lame Bull is the same age as Teresa.
(c) That Yellow Calf is still alive.
(d) That they have more than 12 acres.
2. While digging his grandmother's grave, what memory does the narrator recall?
(a) Digging a well.
(b) His brother's laugh.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His girlfriend's face.
3. After sleeping with Marlene, what emotion does her appearance elicit in the narrator?
(d) He doesn't feel any emotion.
4. How does Teresa act at the funeral?
(a) She leaves.
(b) She wails.
(c) She doesn't make a sound.
(d) She falls on her knees.
5. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
(a) She is upset.
(b) The heat.
(c) She is making it up.
(d) The water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last question the man in the car asks the narrator after giving him a ride home from Havre?
2. After the death of the narrator's grandmother, he finds out the priest will be sent away. Where is he going?
3. While hitching a ride home from Havre, what kind of plant does the family stop their car next to for the girl to run behind?
4. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what goes wrong?
5. After returning from Havre and bathing, who does the narrator find is still on the ranch with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator goes out to visit Yellow Calf the second time, what does he learn about his grandmother?
2. What does the narrator think about while struggling to rescue the cow at the end of the book?
3. What complicates the narrator's attempt to save the cow at the end of the book?
4. Why does the narrator treat Marlene badly?
5. After the narrator's grandmother dies, what is the mood of her family?
6. When the narrator sees the white man arrested, how is he treated by the other bar patrons?
7. While the narrator is riding home from Havre, what does he notice about the little girl in the car and how is that significant?
8. In Chapter 42, while the narrator begins to lose consciousness after his horse slips, what does he realize?
9. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what contributes to Mose's death?
10. After the narrator sleeps with Marlene, what is different about him?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)