|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Ferdinand Horn's second visit, what does the narrator tell him that surprises him?
(a) That they have more than 12 acres.
(b) That Yellow Calf is still alive.
(c) That Lame Bull is the same age as Teresa.
(d) That their cattle have recently been branded.
2. Where does the narrator stay with Marlene?
(a) At her house.
(b) At a friend's abandoned trailer.
(c) In the back of her car.
(d) At his hotel room.
3. After giving money to the woman in Havre, what does the narrator watch her children do as he waits?
(a) Make faces at him from the window.
(b) Try to drive the car.
(c) Play with the steering wheel and cry.
(d) Leave the car and go into a store.
4. When the grandmother dies, why can't the family bury her immediately?
(a) Because Teresa has to raise some money.
(b) Because the coroner went fishing.
(c) Because it is customary to wait.
(d) Because the grave has filled with water.
5. After returning from Havre, what does the narrator immediately remember about his past ?
(a) Hunting with his brother.
(b) A day away from the reservation.
(c) A school trip.
(d) How he has always been unhappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. While laying on the ground after his horse falls, what does the narrator find is unexpected?
2. After rescuing the cow, what does the narrator realize about his male relatives as he lays on the ground?
3. While speaking with Ferdinand Horn's wife for the second time, what does the narrator realize?
4. What does the narrator do on his way to visit Yellow Calf, after his grandmother's death?
5. Before his grandmother's funeral, what does the narrator decide to take on his visit to Yellow Calf?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the old woman's death, the narrator walks out on the plains alone to think. What significant event occurs while he is out there?
2. While the narrator is digging his grandmother's grave, what does he remember about his father?
3. In Chapter 36, before Mose dies, what is the mood of the story?
4. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what contributes to Mose's death?
5. What kind of a relationship do the old woman and Yellow Calf have throughout the years before Teresa's birth?
6. After the narrator digs his grandmother's grave, what does he begin to think about, and what effect do his thoughts have on him?
7. Why does the narrator treat Marlene badly?
8. When the narrator returns home from Havre, what does he think about while he is alone?
9. When the narrator walks out on the plains after his grandmother's death, what does he tell Old Bird?
10. When Lame Bull gives the eulogy for the old woman, what is it like?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)