|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Malta, what does Dougie convince the narrator to do?
(a) Buy him a beer.
(b) Give him some cash.
(c) Break into a car.
(d) Help him rob a drunk.
2. Where does the white traveler go to meet the narrator after their conversation in the Havre cafe?
(a) Minough's bar.
(b) The Hotel bar.
(c) The Legion Club.
(d) Another cafe.
3. What does the narrator's mother reveal when he returns home from the bar?
(a) That the police have come by.
(b) That his girlfriend has left.
(c) That she is kicking him out.
(d) That his dog has died.
4. What do the local people think caused the river to turn milky white?
(a) A streak of bad luck.
(b) Contamination from a mine.
(c) The Chinook flood.
(d) The sugar beet factory.
5. In the bar in Malta, why does the narrator lie to the bartender about knowing Lame Bull?
(a) Because Lame Bull caused trouble there.
(b) Because he wants to pretend he is someone else.
(c) Because he dislikes his stepfather.
(d) Because he wants to forget he is married to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and his family get their water?
2. While thinking about a day with his brother, the narrator remembers that his brother said they shouldn't leave their work until the next day. What is the reason?
3. Besides the white traveler, who else does the narrator meet in the hotel bar in Malta?
4. What does the white traveler offer to do for the narrator if he will help him?
5. In Chapter 11, in what sport does Lame Bull's friend say that Long Knife was a champion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yellow Calf, the old man, like?
2. After being beaten by Dougie, why doesn't the narrator retaliate?
3. After meeting the traveling white man for the second time, what does the narrator think about him?
4. While herding cattle, what do Mose and the narrator decide to do that foreshadows a negative event?
5. At the beginning of the book, how does the grandmother feel about the girl the narrator has brought home, and why?
6. What are the narrator's memories of his brother usually like?
7. Why does the narrator think Lame Bull has married his mother, and how does he feel about it?
8. When Lame Bull and Teresa return from Malta in Chapter Six, what is different about them and how does this change the direction of the plot?
9. While herding cattle, what do Mose and the narrator discuss?
10. When the narrator goes fishing in Chapter Three, what is significant about the color of the river?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)