|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does the narrator give to the woman who talks to him after he has been beaten in Havre?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
2. After the narrator returns home from Malta, he goes to visit an old man. What is his name?
(a) Yellow Calf.
(c) White Bear.
(d) Long Knife.
3. In Chapter 11, in what sport does Lame Bull's friend say that Long Knife was a champion?
(b) Saddle bronc riding.
(d) Demolition Derby.
4. What animal was killed because it attacked the narrator as a child?
(a) A horse.
(b) A turkey.
(c) A mule.
(d) A dog.
5. What is the name of the narrator's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day the narrator and his brother are on the range, what do they decide has happened to their missing cow?
2. In the hotel bar in Malta, the narrator meets a white man. Where is he from?
3. In Harlem, what occupation have many of the Native Americans adopted for the summer season?
4. What does the narrator's mother reveal when he returns home from the bar?
5. In Havre, the narrator meets the white traveling man again. Why does the white man leave so quickly?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator goes fishing in Chapter Three, what is significant about the color of the river?
2. What are the narrator's memories of his brother usually like?
3. Why does the narrator agree to help the white traveling man?
4. At the beginning of the book, how does the grandmother feel about the girl the narrator has brought home, and why?
5. After meeting the traveling white man for the second time, what does the narrator think about him?
6. At the beginning of the book, how does the narrator feel about his life?
7. What does the narrator dislike about the relationship between the priest and his mother?
8. When the narrator left the reservation and went to Tacoma, why did he leave his job there and how does this fit into the narrator's backward feelings about his heritage?
9. After Lame Bull becomes a proprietor, what characteristic does he adopt and what effect does it have?
10. After being beaten by Dougie, why doesn't the narrator retaliate?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)