|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After sleeping with Marlene, what does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Find his girlfriend once and for all.
(b) Rob a drunk.
(c) Check on her children.
(d) Leave Havre.
2. After returning from Havre, where does Teresa say they have taken her mother's body?
(a) To the burial ground.
(b) To the barn.
(c) To the church.
(d) To Harlem.
3. After the old woman became a widow, what does the text say Yellow Calf did for her?
(b) Made fires.
(c) Built a teepee.
(d) Kept others away.
4. When the narrator finds the cow trapped in the mud, what is his first reaction?
(a) He opens the gate to ride away.
(b) He jumps down immediately to help her.
(c) He feels sorry for her.
(d) He wants to let her drown.
5. As a child visiting Yellow Calf, what did the narrator and his escort take with them?
(b) Rubber boots.
(c) A bag of deer meat.
6. After his night with Marlene, where does the narrator walk out to?
(a) To the old buffalo jump.
(b) Away from Havre.
(c) To another bar.
(d) Toward Chinook.
7. After returning from Havre and bathing, where does the narrator go?
(a) To the tree his brother loved.
(b) To the living room.
(c) To the local bar.
(d) To the corral.
8. Where does the family decide to bury the narrator's grandmother?
(a) Beside her first home.
(b) In the cemetery in town.
(c) On a designated burial ground.
(d) On their own land.
9. After several hard days in Havre, who does the narrator decide he has had enough of?
(b) White men.
10. While speaking with Ferdinand Horn's wife for the second time, what does the narrator realize?
(a) He is about to be sick.
(b) He misses his girlfriend.
(c) He has left the horse out on the pasture.
(d) Mrs. Horn is a relative.
11. After returning from Havre and bathing, who does the narrator find is still on the ranch with him?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) The animals.
(c) His dog.
(d) His stepfather.
12. While laying on the ground after his horse falls, what does the narrator find is unexpected?
(a) The pain in his leg.
(b) His sorrow at the death of his horse.
(c) The peace he feels.
(d) The numbness in his legs.
13. When the narrator goes to visit Yellow Calf for the second time, what has changed about him?
(a) He has sunk into dementia.
(b) He is unhappy.
(c) He wears shoes.
(d) He has cut his hand.
14. While pulling the cow out of the mud, what does the narrator realize about his feelings toward Lame Bull?
(a) He doesn't believe he will come back.
(b) He married Teresa for her money.
(c) He may have killed his father.
(d) He is better than his father.
15. After the grandmother's death, what does Lame Bull bring home to commemorate her life?
(a) A new horse.
(c) A pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Havre, what does the narrator do when the woman doesn't return with his money?
2. After sleeping with Marlene, what about her makes it hard for the narrator to look at her?
3. What is the first thing the narrator does after arriving at the Palace Bar in Havre?
4. After the grandmother's death, what does Yellow Calf reveal to the narrator?
5. After his grandmother's death, what does the narrator finally remember?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)