|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning from Havre and bathing, where does the narrator go?
(a) To the corral.
(b) To the living room.
(c) To the local bar.
(d) To the tree his brother loved.
2. While the narrator is losing consciousness after Old Bird falls, what does he hear?
(b) The calf calling for its mother.
(c) A truck motor.
(d) A bird calling.
3. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
(a) He gives her his address.
(b) He rolls her off the bed.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He slaps her.
4. After returning home from Havre, the narrator decides to take a bath. What is the primary reason, besides cleaning up?
(a) He smells like vomit.
(b) He wants to remember his childhood.
(c) He wants to wash off Marlene.
(d) He has been to town.
5. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
(a) She is upset.
(b) The water.
(c) The heat.
(d) She is making it up.
6. What goes wrong at the grandmother's funeral?
(a) Teresa forgets the grave marker.
(b) Lame Bull doesn't attend.
(c) The coffin doesn't fit.
(d) The wind blows the coffin over.
7. After the old woman dies, what preoccupies Ferdinand Horn during his conversation with the narrator?
(a) The narrator's appearance.
(b) His wife's attitude.
(c) The number of bales in the field.
(d) HIs new rings.
8. What does the narrator do on his way to visit Yellow Calf, after his grandmother's death?
(a) He becomes lost.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sits alone under a tree.
(d) He breaks the fence.
9. Before his grandmother's funeral, what does the narrator decide to take on his visit to Yellow Calf?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) His grandmother's pipe.
(c) A bundle of tobacco.
(d) An axe.
10. After the grandmother's death, what does Yellow Calf reveal to the narrator?
(a) That the grandmother owed him money.
(b) That he knew the narrator's grandmother.
(c) That he truly owned Lame Bull's land.
(d) That the grandmother was not Blackfeet.
11. As a child visiting Yellow Calf, what did the narrator and his escort take with them?
(b) Rubber boots.
(d) A bag of deer meat.
12. How many years did the old woman and Yellow Calf live near one another without living together?
13. While hitching a ride home from Havre, what kind of plant does the family stop their car next to for the girl to run behind?
(a) Scrub bushes.
(b) A wild cherry tree.
(c) A stand of pines.
(d) A chokecherry bush.
14. After digging his grandmother's grave, what does the coming storm make the narrator ponder?
(a) "The hole is going to be filled."
(b) "It rains too much here."
(c) "We shouldn't have run them."
(d) "Death always comes with a storm."
15. After the death of the narrator's grandmother, he finds out the priest will be sent away. Where is he going?
(a) To Rome.
(b) To Wyoming.
(c) To Lewistown.
(d) To Idaho.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning from Havre and bathing, who does the narrator find is still on the ranch with him?
2. Who first takes the narrator to see his grandfather?
3. After returning from Havre, where does Teresa say they have taken her mother's body?
4. Upon Ferdinand Horn's second visit, what does the narrator tell him that surprises him?
5. While hitching a ride home from Havre, what is between the narrator and the little girl in the back seat?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)