|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the grandmother's death, what does Yellow Calf reveal to the narrator?
(a) That he truly owned Lame Bull's land.
(b) That the grandmother owed him money.
(c) That he knew the narrator's grandmother.
(d) That the grandmother was not Blackfeet.
2. After returning from Havre, what does the narrator immediately remember about his past ?
(a) Hunting with his brother.
(b) A school trip.
(c) How he has always been unhappy.
(d) A day away from the reservation.
3. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
(a) She is making it up.
(b) She is upset.
(c) The water.
(d) The heat.
4. After his horse falls, what does the narrator wonder about his brother and father?
(a) If they are cold.
(b) If they are comfortable.
(c) If he is about to join them.
(d) If they feared death.
5. After the grandmother's death, what does Lame Bull bring home to commemorate her life?
(c) A new horse.
(d) A pipe.
6. After returning home from Havre, what does the narrator notice is different about his home?
(a) The house has been painted.
(b) His grandmother is gone.
(c) The truck is missing.
(d) His horse is not in the corral.
7. While the narrator's mother is preparing for the funeral, what does the narrator believe is making his horse nervous?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A glimpse of a snake.
(c) Old age.
(d) The coming storm.
8. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
(a) He gives her his address.
(b) He rolls her off the bed.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He ignores her.
9. When the narrator visits Yellow Calf, how does the old man react to the news of the old woman's death?
(a) He speaks of memories.
(b) He seems unaffected.
(c) He cries.
(d) He becomes angry.
10. After his second conversation with Yellow Calf, what does the narrator realize about the old man?
(a) He caused his brother's death.
(b) He is his uncle.
(c) He is his grandfather.
(d) He isn't really blind.
11. Upon Ferdinand Horn's second visit, what does the narrator tell him that surprises him?
(a) That their cattle have recently been branded.
(b) That Yellow Calf is still alive.
(c) That they have more than 12 acres.
(d) That Lame Bull is the same age as Teresa.
12. While the narrator and Mose are herding cattle, which type of cow goes first?
(a) They were all together.
(b) The bulls.
(c) The calves.
(d) The heifers.
13. While herding cattle, where do the narrator and Mose decide to take them?
(a) Away from the valley.
(b) To a neighboring ranch.
(c) Into another pasture.
(d) Across the highway.
14. After the old woman dies, what does Ferdinand Horn's wife want to know?
(a) If they can come in.
(b) How long the narrator has been gone.
(c) If the narrator found his girlfriend.
(d) If Teresa is home.
15. After several hard days in Havre, who does the narrator decide he has had enough of?
(a) White men.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his horse falls, what does the narrator see in the corner of his eye?
2. After giving money to the woman in Havre, what does the narrator watch her children do as he waits?
3. How old is Mose when he dies?
4. How many years are between Yellow Calf and the old woman?
5. What goes wrong at the grandmother's funeral?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)