|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his horse falls, what does the narrator wonder about his brother and father?
(a) If they are comfortable.
(b) If he is about to join them.
(c) If they are cold.
(d) If they feared death.
2. After the old woman dies, what does Ferdinand Horn's wife want to know?
(a) How long the narrator has been gone.
(b) If they can come in.
(c) If the narrator found his girlfriend.
(d) If Teresa is home.
3. After his escapades in Havre, who does the narrator ride with on his way home?
(a) A professor and his family.
(b) A businessman and his family.
(c) A rancher and his family.
(d) A hutterite family.
4. After his night with Marlene, where does the narrator walk out to?
(a) To another bar.
(b) Toward Chinook.
(c) Away from Havre.
(d) To the old buffalo jump.
5. What reason does Yellow Calf give for the grandmother being abandoned by her tribe?
(a) Her attitude.
(b) Her lowly position.
(c) She was bad luck.
(d) She was beautifuul.
6. Before his grandmother's funeral, while he is out on the plains alone, what emotion does the narrator realize?
7. After his second conversation with Yellow Calf, what does the narrator realize about the old man?
(a) He caused his brother's death.
(b) He is his grandfather.
(c) He isn't really blind.
(d) He is his uncle.
8. After giving money to the woman in Havre, what does the narrator watch her children do as he waits?
(a) Leave the car and go into a store.
(b) Play with the steering wheel and cry.
(c) Make faces at him from the window.
(d) Try to drive the car.
9. After the white traveler is taken away from Havre, who does the narrator wish he could find?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) The barmaid.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His father's friend.
10. After returning from Havre and bathing, who does the narrator find is still on the ranch with him?
(a) His stepfather.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His dog.
(d) The animals.
11. What is the name of the bartender in the Palace Bar in Havre?
12. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
(a) He gives her his address.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He rolls her off the bed.
13. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
(a) She is upset.
(b) The water.
(c) She is making it up.
(d) The heat.
14. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what goes wrong?
(a) The narrator became lost.
(b) The spinster wouldn't go through the gate.
(c) A calf became stuck in a coulee.
(d) The weather spooked the cattle.
15. After his return from Havre, what does Lame Bull tell the narrator they must do the following day?
(a) Round up the cows.
(b) Dig a grave.
(c) Go see the priest.
(d) Repair the fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning from Havre, what does the narrator immediately remember about his past ?
2. After the grandmother's death, what question does the narrator continually ask Yellow Calf?
3. What is the first thing the narrator does after arriving at the Palace Bar in Havre?
4. Where does the narrator stay with Marlene?
5. How does Teresa act at the funeral?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)