|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to do while attending his grandmother's funeral?
(a) Buy a new horse.
(b) Visit Yellow Calf more often.
(c) Ask his girlfriend to marry him.
(d) Get a job in the city.
2. While laying on the ground after his horse falls, what does the narrator find is unexpected?
(a) The peace he feels.
(b) His sorrow at the death of his horse.
(c) The numbness in his legs.
(d) The pain in his leg.
3. While Mose and the narrator are herding cattle, what goes wrong?
(a) A calf became stuck in a coulee.
(b) The weather spooked the cattle.
(c) The narrator became lost.
(d) The spinster wouldn't go through the gate.
4. After sleeping with Marlene, what does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Find his girlfriend once and for all.
(b) Check on her children.
(c) Leave Havre.
(d) Rob a drunk.
5. When the narrator goes to visit Yellow Calf for the second time, what has changed about him?
(a) He has cut his hand.
(b) He is unhappy.
(c) He has sunk into dementia.
(d) He wears shoes.
6. How does Teresa act at the funeral?
(a) She doesn't make a sound.
(b) She wails.
(c) She falls on her knees.
(d) She leaves.
7. What is the first thing the narrator does after arriving at the Palace Bar in Havre?
(a) He searches for the woman who took his money.
(b) He plays the quarter machine.
(c) He orders a drink.
(d) He washes his bloody face.
8. After several hard days in Havre, what does the narrator wish would happen to him?
(a) That he would find his girlfriend.
(b) That he would find a fortune.
(c) That he would be arrested and get it over with.
(d) That he would be erased.
9. After the death of the narrator's grandmother, he finds out the priest will be sent away. Where is he going?
(a) To Idaho.
(b) To Wyoming.
(c) To Rome.
(d) To Lewistown.
10. Where does the family decide to bury the narrator's grandmother?
(a) On a designated burial ground.
(b) On their own land.
(c) Beside her first home.
(d) In the cemetery in town.
11. How does Teresa react to the death of her mother?
(a) She disappears into her bedroom.
(b) She becomes drunk.
(c) She begins working too hard.
(d) She becomes angry.
12. After his night with Marlene, where does the narrator walk out to?
(a) To another bar.
(b) To the old buffalo jump.
(c) Toward Chinook.
(d) Away from Havre.
13. What goes wrong at the grandmother's funeral?
(a) Teresa forgets the grave marker.
(b) Lame Bull doesn't attend.
(c) The coffin doesn't fit.
(d) The wind blows the coffin over.
14. After sleeping with Marlene, what about her makes it hard for the narrator to look at her?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her tears.
(c) Her facial expression.
(d) Her weight.
15. While traveling home from Havre, what do the parents of the little girl in the car say has caused her illness?
(a) The water.
(b) The heat.
(c) She is upset.
(d) She is making it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ultimately do to Marlene?
2. After the old woman dies, what reason do Ferdinand Horn and his wife give for stopping at the house?
3. After several hard days in Havre, who does the narrator decide he has had enough of?
4. As a child visiting Yellow Calf, what did the narrator and his escort take with them?
5. While the narrator and Mose are herding cattle, which type of cow goes first?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)