|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe is the narrator's girlfriend from?
(c) Gros Ventre.
2. While in Havre, who does the white traveler plan to send his "sentimental gift" to?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) A prostitute in the hotel.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His daughter.
3. On the drive to Harlem, what memory do the narrator and his mother discuss?
(b) A duck.
(c) A childhood fight.
(d) A lightning storm.
4. When the narrator visits the old man, what problem of age does the old man have?
(a) He is diabetic.
(b) He has ulcers.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He cannot walk.
5. After hitching a ride to Havre with a woman, what stops the narrator from raping her the next morning?
(a) A noise outside.
(b) Her attitude.
(c) His conscience.
(d) A child in the kitchen.
6. In Chapter 10, what member of Long Knife's family contributes to his reputation as a good worker?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
7. What kind of dwelling did Lame Bull live in before?
(a) A cave.
(b) A trailer house.
(c) A mud hut.
(d) A cabin.
8. What does Lame Bull start wearing as the new proprietor of a large ranch?
(a) A bolo tie.
(b) A constant grin.
(c) A big hat.
(d) A large belt buckle.
9. What animal is killed in the story that the narrator reads while sitting with his grandmother?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A wildcat.
10. How do the ducks that First Raise wins at the fair end up dying?
(a) They drowned.
(b) They were eaten by a coyote.
(c) They became overheated.
(d) They were crushed.
11. What does the woman who helps the narrator outside the bar in Havre look like?
(a) She has a scarred face.
(b) She is slight and blond.
(c) She is overweight with blackened teeth.
(d) She is young but plain.
12. While talking to the woman in the Harlem bar, where does the narrator find out she went to find work?
13. In Havre, who does the white traveler say is following him?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) The Mafia.
(c) His daughter.
(d) The F.B.I.
14. Before the narrator heads for Malta, what memories are brought back by the bar in Dodson?
(a) Memories of visits from the white men.
(b) Memories of drunken beatings.
(c) Memories of his father.
(d) Memories of school encounters.
15. What weapon does the white traveler buy while the narrator is with him?
(a) A winchester rifle.
(b) A colt pistol.
(c) Brass knuckles.
(d) A hunting knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator returns home from Malta, he goes to visit an old man. What is his name?
2. What does the narrator take with him when he travels to Malta to find his girlfriend?
3. In Chapter 11, how does Lame Bull react after his encounter with Long Knife?
4. What is the name of the narrator's father?
5. How much is Long Knife paid for his work on Lame Bull's ranch?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)