|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's father dream about, but never does?
(a) Buying a horse.
(b) Securing a job in Havre.
(c) Taking an Elk in Glacier Park.
(d) Traveling to the coast.
2. While the narrator is out on the range with his brother, what animal do they let lead the herd?
(a) A young bull.
(b) An old spinster.
(c) A pair of calves.
(d) A pair of heifers.
3. In Chapter 5, what does the narrator find that he thinks will help him with fishing?
(a) A charm.
(b) A broken watch.
(c) A cheap ring.
(d) A coupon.
4. Besides the white traveler, who else does the narrator meet in the hotel bar in Malta?
(a) A police officer.
(b) An insurance salesman.
(c) A college student.
(d) A friendly barmaid.
5. Who does the narrator's grandmother stay with after 25 years as a widow?
(a) A fed.
(b) A man on the tribal counsel.
(c) A rancher.
(d) A half-white drifter.
6. What is the name of the narrator's brother?
7. In the bar in Malta, why does the narrator lie to the bartender about knowing Lame Bull?
(a) Because he wants to forget he is married to his mother.
(b) Because Lame Bull caused trouble there.
(c) Because he wants to pretend he is someone else.
(d) Because he dislikes his stepfather.
8. What does the narrator find in his father's toolbox that he takes fishing with him?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A long string.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A wrench.
9. Where does the white traveler go to meet the narrator after their conversation in the Havre cafe?
(a) The Legion Club.
(b) Minough's bar.
(c) The Hotel bar.
(d) Another cafe.
10. When the narrator meets a woman in the bar in Harlem, what initials are tattooed on her ring finger?
11. What does the narrator dream about while staying in Malta?
(a) A boy on a horse.
(b) A chugging tractor.
(c) A crashing plane.
(d) A bloody river.
12. Where does the narrator work when he goes outside the reservation?
13. In Chapter 11, how does Lame Bull react after his encounter with Long Knife?
(a) He buys him a drink and brings him back.
(b) He refuses to hire anyone else.
(c) He stops grinning so much.
(d) He doesn't change at all.
14. In Malta, what does the narrator do with the keys to the car after he spots the white traveler talking to someone?
(a) He throws them in the gutter.
(b) He gives them back to the white traveler.
(c) He gives them to his girlfriend.
(d) He throws them in the trash.
15. After meeting the white traveler in Havre, where does the narrator suggest the man take him?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day the narrator and his brother are on the range, what do they decide has happened to their missing cow?
2. After the narrator returns home from Malta, he goes to visit an old man. What is his name?
3. What animal is killed in the story that the narrator reads while sitting with his grandmother?
4. What does the white traveler offer to do for the narrator if he will help him?
5. What do the local people think caused the river to turn milky white?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)