|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a stroke in 1952, how did Churchill bring himself back to good health?
2. What country was first to fall to Hitler's military advances?
3. Who said, "I think we can generally say today that Hitler's dictatorship is gradually breaking down" before the beginning of WWII?
4. Who replaced Asquith as Prime Minister?
5. Who was President of the United States of America during WWII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What countries were first affected by Hitler's call for a "Greater Germany"?
2. What happened to Churchill's Liberal party?
3. What happened at the Yalta Conference regarding territorial discussions between Britain and Russia?
4. What were Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and his cabinet focusing on improving during this time when Hitler was being appeased in Germany?
5. What were Churchill's policies when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer?
6. What was credited with reviving Churchill physically and mentally? What was the status of Roosevelt as the end of the war nears?
7. What did Hitler do between 1934 and 1936 that violated the Versailles treaty?
8. During his appointment as the Secretary of State for war and air, which two important events did Churchill preside over?
9. What was Churchill's stance on Communism?
10. Why did Hitler have to put Operation Sea Lion on hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The specter of poverty hung over Britain after the stock market crash. What government measures enhanced the problems associated with the crash? Compare these measures with those taken by the government of the United Sates of America in today's economic downturn.
Essay Topic 2
Churchill was a profound writer and orator. What was it about his speeches in written word and delivery that inspired his fellow countrymen?
Essay Topic 3
Churchill was involved in a terrorist episode with leader Peter the Painter. Discuss what happened with these Russian anarchists in this particular episode. Also discuss what Peter the Painter represented during this time.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)