|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Churchill attend military school?
2. Churchill was committed to what idea?
3. In the century since Trafalgar, who had been the unchallenged Mistress of the Seas?
4. What did Keegan first find fascinating about Churchill?
5. Churchill believed in his country's what above others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event hurt Churchill politically and forced his retirement?
2. What kinds of things tainted the line of the Duke of Marlborough for generations? Who restored it's good name?
3. Churchill became president of the Board of Trade where he became familiar with those resisting British rule throughout the world. What groups did he admire and which groups did he despise?
4. What happened to Churchill during the Boer War?
5. How did Churchill's mother spend the time during her marriage to Lord Randolph Churchill?
6. What first caught John Keegan's attention about Churchill?
7. During the time of increased German and American economic power, what did Churchill support, despite it becoming less popular with his party?
8. While in the Army in India, what was Churchill's focus and passion?
9. What was Churchill's social life like?
10. What things excluded Lord Randolph Churchill from political office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Churchill had a gut sympathy for fighters? What specific instances give proof of this sympathy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the United States of America was taken from passive participant in WWII to actively fighting in the war. What specifically did the United States do as a passive participant and what spurred them to take an active role in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Churchill and George Washington had many similarities in the ways they looked at the wars they were commanding. What were some similarities between the Revolutionary War and World War II? Discuss some of the challenges each faced respectively and how they each chose to handle them.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)