|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the theme of British foreign policy from before Churchill's birth until his early maturity?
2. Churchill's common dress was:
3. What lineage does Churchill's family descend from?
4. In the beginning, the author views Churchill as:
5. Which house defeated the budget introduced by David Lloyd George?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jan Smuts and his "bitterenders" introduce the Western world to?
2. What kind of student was Churchill?
3. What was the author John Keegan's initial opinion of Churchill?
4. What event hurt Churchill politically and forced his retirement?
5. What country challenged Britain for dominance on the high seas?
6. Whom did Churchill marry and why?
7. What happened to Churchill during the Boer War?
8. What happened as a result of the British being obligated by treaty to defend Belgium?
9. What did Churchill do after leaving the Army?
10. Churchill became president of the Board of Trade where he became familiar with those resisting British rule throughout the world. What groups did he admire and which groups did he despise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What state was Europe in when Churchill became Prime Minister? How did Churchill react to these conditions?
Essay Topic 2
Churchill experienced three heavy blows between the late 1920s and early 1930s. Name and discuss these three events.
Essay Topic 3
Churchill warned that "a European war cannot be anything but a cruel, heartrending struggle, which, if we are ever to enjoy the fruits of victory, must demand, perhaps for several years, the whole manhood of the nation, the entire suspension of peaceful industries, and the concentration to one end of every vital energy of the community." Discuss how you feel this quote applies to us and the current war on terror we are involved in today.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)