|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
2. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
3. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
4. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
5. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how three or four characters failed to use their natural talents to better themselves. Describe the talent, including how you are made aware of it. Use evidence from the text to prove the talent and the characters failure to realize it. What happens to these characters as a result? What happens to the people around them? What does this failure mean to the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Some readers describe "Winesburg, Ohio" as being amoral. What supports the lack of morality in this novel? Do you agree with this description? Why/why not?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)