|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
2. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
3. Who does Elmer open up to about his feelings for his family?
4. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
5. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
Essay Topic 2
A variety of occupations are represented in this novel. Choose four occupations and describe the characters that hold these jobs. What is symbolic about these careers and what do they represent in "Winesburg, Ohio"?
Essay Topic 3
There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)