Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
2. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
3. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
4. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
5. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters that you feel have power in Winesburg. Defend your choices and discuss what characteristics are needed to be powerful in Winesburg. How do these characters use their power? What does having power in Winesburg mean? How is power a theme, or not a theme, in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Some readers describe "Winesburg, Ohio" as being amoral. What supports the lack of morality in this novel? Do you agree with this description? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 3
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)