|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
2. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
3. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
4. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
5. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)