|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
2. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
3. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
4. What does Ed do when George interrupts his marriage proposal to Belle?
5. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two stories that feature the same character (other than George Willard). How is the character represented in each story? What is the character's role? Is there any growth in the character? What accounts for these differences? What does this character mean to the novel overall?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how three or four characters failed to use their natural talents to better themselves. Describe the talent, including how you are made aware of it. Use evidence from the text to prove the talent and the characters failure to realize it. What happens to these characters as a result? What happens to the people around them? What does this failure mean to the book as a whole?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)