|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
2. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
3. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
4. Where does Enoch move after he gets married?
5. What does George borrow from Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)