|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
2. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
3. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
4. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
5. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
Essay Topic 1
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Book of the Grotesques" set up the rest of the book? What are "grotesques"? Choose three characters and analyze them according to this description of grotesque.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two doctors featured in "Winesburg, Ohio". How are Dr. Parcival and Dr. Reefy alike? Different? What roles do they play in the lives of other characters?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)