|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
2. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
3. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
4. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
5. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the farm work as a setting in "Winesburg, Ohio"? Discuss the use of the farm as a setting, including the emotions connected with farms, family obligation, events tied to farms and the symbolic language used to describe farms.
Essay Topic 2
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)