|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
2. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
3. What does Elmer believe the town thinks about him and his father?
4. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
5. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The format of "Winesburg, Ohio" is unique. How does this format help Anderson convey his message about the people of Winesburg? Is this an effective device? How does the format help or hurt the stories of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two parent-child relationships in "Winesburg, Ohio". Consider the openness of the relationship, the love that is expressed, the feelings embraced and the overall effect of the relationship on all parties involved.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)