|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
2. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
3. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
4. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
5. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The format of "Winesburg, Ohio" is unique. How does this format help Anderson convey his message about the people of Winesburg? Is this an effective device? How does the format help or hurt the stories of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in this novel are lonely. Analyze three characters in terms of their loneliness. Why do they feel alienated? What do they do in response to this alienation? How is loneliness a theme in the novel and what is it representative of?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)