|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
2. What is Tom's voice like?
3. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
4. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
5. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Religion appears throughout "Winesburg, Ohio". How is religion described and used in the novel? How are religious people set apart from the non-religious? Analyze the use of religion in this novel to discern what Anderson's message about religion may be.
Essay Topic 3
How does death affect the characters of this novel? Who fears death and why? Who talks about death and why? What does death mean to some of these characters? Most importantly, what does it represent?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)