|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
2. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
3. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
4. What is Tom's voice like?
5. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How does the farm work as a setting in "Winesburg, Ohio"? Discuss the use of the farm as a setting, including the emotions connected with farms, family obligation, events tied to farms and the symbolic language used to describe farms.
Essay Topic 2Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 3Select two stories that feature the same character (other than George Willard). How is the character represented in each story? What is the character's role? Is there any growth in the character? What accounts for these differences? What does this character mean to the novel overall?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)