Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
2. Why does Jesse place blame on his dead brothers?
3. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
4. Who says they are "too greedy for glory"?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
2. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
3. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
4. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
5. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
6. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
7. Even though Seth is called the "deep one", how is this untrue?
8. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
9. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two doctors featured in "Winesburg, Ohio". How are Dr. Parcival and Dr. Reefy alike? Different? What roles do they play in the lives of other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does death affect the characters of this novel? Who fears death and why? Who talks about death and why? What does death mean to some of these characters? Most importantly, what does it represent?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)