|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Reefy write on the scraps of paper he keeps in his pockets?
2. Why does John marry Louise?
3. What happens to the tall, dark girl in one of her dreams?
4. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
5. How does Tom describe Elizabeth's figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
2. How does Tom relate to his daughter, Tandy?
3. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
4. What makes Wash say that "all women are dead, even when they are alive"?
5. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
6. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
7. What does the drunken stranger say about women and love to Tom and Tandy?
8. In the story "Drink", how does Tom feel about women?
9. What makes Jesse believe that the other farmers are enemies of God?
10. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two stories that feature the same character (other than George Willard). How is the character represented in each story? What is the character's role? Is there any growth in the character? What accounts for these differences? What does this character mean to the novel overall?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two parent-child relationships in "Winesburg, Ohio". Consider the openness of the relationship, the love that is expressed, the feelings embraced and the overall effect of the relationship on all parties involved.
Essay Topic 3
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)