|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe the "truths" he writes about?
2. What does Wing do for a living?
3. Where does George work?
4. Who says "I have a desire to make you admire me"?
5. What does Alice sometimes do with her blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
2. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
3. How do the Hardy girls respond to Louise when she comes to stay with them?
4. What do Seth and Helen talk about on their walk?
5. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
6. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
7. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
8. What does the drunken stranger say about women and love to Tom and Tandy?
9. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 2
The format of "Winesburg, Ohio" is unique. How does this format help Anderson convey his message about the people of Winesburg? Is this an effective device? How does the format help or hurt the stories of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how three or four characters failed to use their natural talents to better themselves. Describe the talent, including how you are made aware of it. Use evidence from the text to prove the talent and the characters failure to realize it. What happens to these characters as a result? What happens to the people around them? What does this failure mean to the book as a whole?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)