|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the tall, dark girl think she marries?
2. How is Wing's power as a teacher described?
3. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
4. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
5. How are the doctor's knuckles described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice realize when she gets home after the night she runs naked in the rain?
2. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
3. What does Kate tell George about writing in "The Teacher"?
4. What does Wash's wife's mother do to her when Wash comes to visit?
5. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
6. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
7. When Ned first plans to move to Cleveland, what does Alice tell him?
8. What do the stories Dr. Parcival tell mean to George?
9. What does the drunken stranger say about women and love to Tom and Tandy?
10. What happens one summer evening in George and Helen's past that George reflects upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this novel are lonely. Analyze three characters in terms of their loneliness. Why do they feel alienated? What do they do in response to this alienation? How is loneliness a theme in the novel and what is it representative of?
Essay Topic 3
There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)