|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth take out of a cloth bag that hangs on the wall by a nail?
2. What does Elizabeth do when she goes in George's room and sits by his desk?
3. What happens to the writer's book?
4. What is one of George's habits?
5. What is the name of Tom and Elizabeth's hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Reverend Curtis' sermon different after the first time he sees Kate?
2. How is Wing different around George?
3. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
4. What makes Jesse believe that the other farmers are enemies of God?
5. In "Paper Pills", how are the tall, dark girl's suitors different?
6. How does Elmer feel about his family?
7. What does George tell his mother he wants to do at the end of "Mother"?
8. When Ned first plans to move to Cleveland, what does Alice tell him?
9. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
10. What happens to Wing's teaching career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion appears throughout "Winesburg, Ohio". How is religion described and used in the novel? How are religious people set apart from the non-religious? Analyze the use of religion in this novel to discern what Anderson's message about religion may be.
Essay Topic 2
Select two stories that feature the same character (other than George Willard). How is the character represented in each story? What is the character's role? Is there any growth in the character? What accounts for these differences? What does this character mean to the novel overall?
Essay Topic 3
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)