|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
2. Why does Jesse place blame on his dead brothers?
3. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
4. Who says they are "too greedy for glory"?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
2. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
3. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
4. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
5. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
6. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
7. Even though Seth is called the "deep one", how is this untrue?
8. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
9. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Essay Topic 1
There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Religion appears throughout "Winesburg, Ohio". How is religion described and used in the novel? How are religious people set apart from the non-religious? Analyze the use of religion in this novel to discern what Anderson's message about religion may be.
Essay Topic 3
A variety of occupations are represented in this novel. Choose four occupations and describe the characters that hold these jobs. What is symbolic about these careers and what do they represent in "Winesburg, Ohio"?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)