|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesse want to use his land for?
2. What color does the Big Four paint its stations?
3. What war is the carpenter part of?
4. When Ned can't find work in Cleveland, where does he go?
5. What does Alice do the night that it rains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hardy girls respond to Louise when she comes to stay with them?
2. In the story "Drink", how does Tom feel about women?
3. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
4. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
5. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
6. What does Kate tell George about writing in "The Teacher"?
7. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
8. What makes it difficult for the carpenter to finish his job in "The Book of the Grotesque" and why?
9. Why does George go to Belle's house?
10. At the end of "Departure", what does George think about Winesburg?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two parent-child relationships in "Winesburg, Ohio". Consider the openness of the relationship, the love that is expressed, the feelings embraced and the overall effect of the relationship on all parties involved.
Essay Topic 2
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
Essay Topic 3
Lack of communication is a recurring theme in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe three characters that have a difficult time communicating. Explain each character's situation and problem with communication. Then, explain what the lack of communication represents or symbolizes in the novel.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)