|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice Hindman live with?
2. Who is Wing's only friend?
3. Who says "I have a desire to make you admire me"?
4. Why does Jesse's brothers and father stay silent on the farm?
5. How does George feel at the end of the story when he is at the drug store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
2. Why does Hal get arrested in "The Untold Lie"?
3. In "Paper Pills", how are the tall, dark girl's suitors different?
4. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
5. In the story "Mother", what are Elizabeth's hopes and dreams for George?
6. How does Elmer feel about his family?
7. Why does George decide to not ask Wing about his hands?
8. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
9. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
10. What does Kate tell George about writing in "The Teacher"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this novel are lonely. Analyze three characters in terms of their loneliness. Why do they feel alienated? What do they do in response to this alienation? How is loneliness a theme in the novel and what is it representative of?
Essay Topic 3
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)