|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war is the carpenter part of?
2. What does George say he has set forth upon when he goes to find Louise?
3. According to the author, the story of Wing is the story of what?
4. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
5. What are Tom's political aspirations?
Short Essay Questions
1. As revealed in the story "Death", why does Elizabeth marry Tom?
2. In the story "Mother", what are Elizabeth's hopes and dreams for George?
3. How does Enoch want to explain his art to his artist friends in New York City?
4. What does Kate tell George about writing in "The Teacher"?
5. What makes Jesse believe that the other farmers are enemies of God?
6. What does Alice realize when she gets home after the night she runs naked in the rain?
7. What does Elizabeth and George watch happen in the alley?
8. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
9. How is Wing different around George?
10. What does Dr. Parcival do with his brother's money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers describe "Winesburg, Ohio" as being amoral. What supports the lack of morality in this novel? Do you agree with this description? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does death affect the characters of this novel? Who fears death and why? Who talks about death and why? What does death mean to some of these characters? Most importantly, what does it represent?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two parent-child relationships in "Winesburg, Ohio". Consider the openness of the relationship, the love that is expressed, the feelings embraced and the overall effect of the relationship on all parties involved.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)