|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wing do before he cries in front of George?
2. When David and Jesse are in the forest, what makes David run?
3. Why is Jesse interested in the lamb born out of season?
4. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
5. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he is afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George tell his mother he wants to do at the end of "Mother"?
2. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
3. What happens to Wing's teaching career?
4. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
5. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
6. How does Tom relate to his daughter, Tandy?
7. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
8. At the end of "Departure", what does George think about Winesburg?
9. What do Seth and Helen talk about on their walk?
10. What does Jesse feel David's coming means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A variety of occupations are represented in this novel. Choose four occupations and describe the characters that hold these jobs. What is symbolic about these careers and what do they represent in "Winesburg, Ohio"?
Essay Topic 2
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two doctors featured in "Winesburg, Ohio". How are Dr. Parcival and Dr. Reefy alike? Different? What roles do they play in the lives of other characters?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)