Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
2. Why does Jesse place blame on his dead brothers?
3. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
4. Who says they are "too greedy for glory"?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
2. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
3. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
4. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
5. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
6. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
7. Even though Seth is called the "deep one", how is this untrue?
8. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
9. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)