|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
2. Where does George walk after leaving work one night?
3. What does Dr. Parcival say his objective of coming to Winesburg is?
4. What does Louise do to a farmhand at her family's farm one weekend?
5. Why does John marry Louise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enoch want to explain his art to his artist friends in New York City?
2. What does Alice realize when she gets home after the night she runs naked in the rain?
3. What does Dr. Parcival do with his brother's money?
4. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
5. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
6. What happens to Wing's teaching career?
7. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
8. Why does George go to Belle's house?
9. Why is Reverend Curtis' sermon different after the first time he sees Kate?
10. What makes it difficult for the carpenter to finish his job in "The Book of the Grotesque" and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two doctors featured in "Winesburg, Ohio". How are Dr. Parcival and Dr. Reefy alike? Different? What roles do they play in the lives of other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Sherwood Anderson is considered to be one of the fathers of Realism. Define the literary movement of Realism and explain how "Winesburg, Ohio" fits this definition.
Essay Topic 3
There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)