|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
2. Why does Jesse place blame on his dead brothers?
3. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
4. Who says they are "too greedy for glory"?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
2. According to the writer, what makes people grotesque?
3. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
4. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
5. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
6. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
7. Even though Seth is called the "deep one", how is this untrue?
8. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
9. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Essay Topic 1
There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how three or four characters failed to use their natural talents to better themselves. Describe the talent, including how you are made aware of it. Use evidence from the text to prove the talent and the characters failure to realize it. What happens to these characters as a result? What happens to the people around them? What does this failure mean to the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)