|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part does Wing use to help him talk?
2. What does Dr. Parcival say happens to Dr. Cronin?
3. According to the author, the story of Wing is the story of what?
4. What does Dr. Parcival always wear?
5. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesse feel David's coming means?
2. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
3. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
4. How does Dr. Parcival describe his mother and brother?
5. How do the Hardy girls respond to Louise when she comes to stay with them?
6. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
7. What do the stories Dr. Parcival tell mean to George?
8. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
9. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
10. What makes Jesse believe that the other farmers are enemies of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
Essay Topic 2
Religion appears throughout "Winesburg, Ohio". How is religion described and used in the novel? How are religious people set apart from the non-religious? Analyze the use of religion in this novel to discern what Anderson's message about religion may be.
Essay Topic 3
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)