|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Parcival move from?
2. Why does the tall, dark girl originally come see Dr. Reefy?
3. What does Wing do for a living?
4. How does the writer describe the "truths" he writes about?
5. Where does Louise tell George to wait?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
2. What does Elizabeth and George watch happen in the alley?
3. How does Enoch want to explain his art to his artist friends in New York City?
4. In the fourth part of "Godliness", what does Jesse purchase and why?
5. What does the idea of death do to the writer in "The Book of the Grotesque"?
6. What does the drunken stranger say about women and love to Tom and Tandy?
7. What does George tell his mother he wants to do at the end of "Mother"?
8. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
9. How does Elmer feel about his family?
10. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A variety of occupations are represented in this novel. Choose four occupations and describe the characters that hold these jobs. What is symbolic about these careers and what do they represent in "Winesburg, Ohio"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two doctors featured in "Winesburg, Ohio". How are Dr. Parcival and Dr. Reefy alike? Different? What roles do they play in the lives of other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)