|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe envy?
2. What does Jesse want to use his land for?
3. What does Joe do for a living?
4. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
5. Why does a carpenter come to the writer's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Seth is called the "deep one", how is this untrue?
2. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
3. In the fourth part of "Godliness", what does Jesse purchase and why?
4. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
5. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
6. What does Wash's wife's mother do to her when Wash comes to visit?
7. As revealed in the story "Death", why does Elizabeth marry Tom?
8. What makes Jesse believe that the other farmers are enemies of God?
9. What are the paper pills?
10. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Book of the Grotesques" set up the rest of the book? What are "grotesques"? Choose three characters and analyze them according to this description of grotesque.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Winesburg, Ohio" move to Winesburg. Compare and contrast the reasons why some of these characters move to Winesburg, as well as what the move and Winesburg means to them. How are these characters used in the novel, especially compared to the Winesburg natives?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)