|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jesse come to the family farm?
2. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
3. As time passes, what happens to John and Louise?
4. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he is afraid of?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
2. What are the paper pills?
3. What does Jesse feel David's coming means?
4. What does George decide to do after his mother's death in the story "Death"?
5. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
6. What does Wash's wife's mother do to her when Wash comes to visit?
7. The day that Kate is not in her room in "The Strength of God", what is the Reverend's sermon about?
8. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
9. What makes it difficult for the carpenter to finish his job in "The Book of the Grotesque" and why?
10. How is Wing different around George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in this novel are lonely. Analyze three characters in terms of their loneliness. Why do they feel alienated? What do they do in response to this alienation? How is loneliness a theme in the novel and what is it representative of?
Essay Topic 2
Select four women in Winesburg and describe them in terms of their relationships to other characters, their connection to the theme of communication and what they represent to the town and/or George Willard. How does Anderson use female characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Thinking about the episodes of violence in "Winesburg, Ohio", describe what the violence represents to the novel/characters. Analyze the symbolism of any weapons involved. How does Anderson use violence? What message is conveyed? How does violence develop the stories/characters?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)