|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesse turn to as an explanation for everything?
2. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
3. When does George visit Dr. Parcival?
4. What does Elizabeth do when she goes in George's room and sits by his desk?
5. What does Louise do for John Hardy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Parcival describe his mother and brother?
2. What happens to Wing's teaching career?
3. How do the Hardy girls respond to Louise when she comes to stay with them?
4. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
5. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
6. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
7. How does Elmer feel about his family?
8. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
9. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
10. What are the paper pills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two parent-child relationships in "Winesburg, Ohio". Consider the openness of the relationship, the love that is expressed, the feelings embraced and the overall effect of the relationship on all parties involved.
Essay Topic 2
How does the farm work as a setting in "Winesburg, Ohio"? Discuss the use of the farm as a setting, including the emotions connected with farms, family obligation, events tied to farms and the symbolic language used to describe farms.
Essay Topic 3
George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)