|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes at the farm once David arrives?
2. Why is it Jesse's fault his wife dies?
3. Why does the writer get out of bed and start writing?
4. How does the town feel about Joe and Sarah?
5. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesse leave his family's farm as a young man?
2. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
3. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
4. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
5. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
6. What does the idea of death do to the writer in "The Book of the Grotesque"?
7. In the fourth part of "Godliness", what does Jesse purchase and why?
8. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
9. Why does Hal get arrested in "The Untold Lie"?
10. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How does "The Book of the Grotesques" set up the rest of the book? What are "grotesques"? Choose three characters and analyze them according to this description of grotesque.
Essay Topic 2There are several marriages presented in "Winesburg, Ohio". Describe and compare these marriages. What is Anderson trying to say about marriage?
Essay Topic 3George Willard is present in most of the stories in this book. Who is George? How do you describe him? What role does George play in the book and for the other characters of Winesburg?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)