|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Reefy ride when he goes house to house?
2. What does the doctor read to the girl in the winter?
3. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
4. How does George feel at the end of the story when he is at the drug store?
5. What does George say he has set forth upon when he goes to find Louise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Parcival do with his brother's money?
2. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
3. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
4. What do the stories Dr. Parcival tell mean to George?
5. What are the paper pills?
6. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
7. At the end of "Departure", what does George think about Winesburg?
8. Why does Hal get arrested in "The Untold Lie"?
9. Why is George careful when he counts his money on the train?
10. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the farm work as a setting in "Winesburg, Ohio"? Discuss the use of the farm as a setting, including the emotions connected with farms, family obligation, events tied to farms and the symbolic language used to describe farms.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters that you feel have power in Winesburg. Defend your choices and discuss what characteristics are needed to be powerful in Winesburg. How do these characters use their power? What does having power in Winesburg mean? How is power a theme, or not a theme, in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does death affect the characters of this novel? Who fears death and why? Who talks about death and why? What does death mean to some of these characters? Most importantly, what does it represent?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)