|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jesse take David to pray?
(a) By the river.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In the forest.
(d) Behind the farmhouse.
2. When does Dr. Parcival say he prays all night?
(a) When his father dies.
(b) When he is about to move.
(c) When his mother is ill.
(d) When his brother steals.
3. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
(a) The laugh and hope he loses money.
(b) They are fearful of what he builds.
(c) They ignore him for taking up so much space.
(d) They are grateful to help him improve it.
4. What happens to the writer's book?
(a) It gets published.
(b) He decides to re-write it.
(c) It is not published.
(d) He looses the only copy.
5. What happens when Wing forgets about his hands?
(a) He leaves his front porch.
(b) He puts them on George's shoulder.
(c) He forgets how to talk.
(d) He paints a picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the tall, dark girl think she marries?
2. What does the author say makes it difficult for people to understand Jesse?
3. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he is afraid of?
4. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
5. Why does Jesse place blame on his dead brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom fear about his life in the story "Mother"?
2. How is Wing different around George?
3. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
4. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
5. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
6. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
7. How does Enoch's life change when he is twenty-one?
8. When Ned first plans to move to Cleveland, what does Alice tell him?
9. Why does the woman in the doctor's office have blood on her in "Paper Pills"?
10. The day that Kate is not in her room in "The Strength of God", what is the Reverend's sermon about?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)