|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
(a) A way to quit smoking.
(b) The people he knows.
(c) His shopping list.
(d) Having a baby.
2. What does Dr. Parcival say his objective of coming to Winesburg is?
(a) To open his medical practice.
(b) To meet a woman.
(c) To write a book.
(d) To live cheaply.
3. What are Tom's political aspirations?
(a) To become mayor.
(b) To become president.
(c) To become governor.
(d) To become chief of police.
4. According to the author, the story of Wing is the story of what?
(b) Small towns.
5. What changes at the farm once David arrives?
(a) It becomes too crowded.
(b) It becomes happier.
(c) It becomes lonely.
(d) It becomes quieter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
2. What does Henry Bradford do to Wing one afternoon at the schoolhouse?
3. What does Jesse want to use his land for?
4. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
5. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. As revealed in the story "Death", why does Elizabeth marry Tom?
2. What does Alice realize when she gets home after the night she runs naked in the rain?
3. Why is Reverend Curtis' sermon different after the first time he sees Kate?
4. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
5. In the fourth part of "Godliness", what does Jesse purchase and why?
6. Why does George decide to not ask Wing about his hands?
7. In "Paper Pills", how are the tall, dark girl's suitors different?
8. How does the writer come up with "The Book of the Grotesque"?
9. How is Wing different around George?
10. What does the idea of death do to the writer in "The Book of the Grotesque"?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)