|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
(c) Sarah's father.
(d) Dr. Parcival.
2. Who does Alice Hindman live with?
(a) Her stepsisters.
(b) Her mother and stepfather.
(c) She lives alone at a boarding house.
(d) Her father and stepmother.
3. What is the danger of the writer's subject matter?
(a) He doesn't fully understand it.
(b) He becomes grotesque himself.
(c) He runs out of things to write.
(d) No one wants to read it.
4. What does Dr. Parcival say happens to Dr. Cronin?
(a) Dr. Cronin is robbed.
(b) Dr. Cronin is murdered.
(c) Dr. Cronin moves to Iowa.
(d) Dr. Cronin is arrested.
5. Why does a carpenter come to the writer's house?
(a) To build a shelf.
(b) To install a new floor.
(c) To raise his bed.
(d) To fix his window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
2. When does George visit Dr. Parcival?
3. Where does George walk after leaving work one night?
4. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
5. How does Tom describe Elizabeth's figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Paper Pills", how are the tall, dark girl's suitors different?
2. How does Enoch want to explain his art to his artist friends in New York City?
3. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
4. Why does Jesse leave his family's farm as a young man?
5. What does Dr. Parcival tell George about his book?
6. How does Enoch's life change when he is twenty-one?
7. What happens one summer evening in George and Helen's past that George reflects upon?
8. In the fourth part of "Godliness", what does Jesse purchase and why?
9. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
10. Why is George careful when he counts his money on the train?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)