|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
(a) She has a bad dream.
(b) George does not visit her for several days.
(c) She knows Tom is trying to get him a job.
(d) She hears noises come out of his room.
2. How does Tom describe Elizabeth's figure?
3. What happens to the writer's book?
(a) It is not published.
(b) He looses the only copy.
(c) He decides to re-write it.
(d) It gets published.
4. How does the author describe Joe Welling's fits?
(a) They are meaningless.
(b) They are only physical.
(c) They are quick and powerful.
(d) They are of ideas and thoughts.
5. What does Dr. Reefy ride when he goes house to house?
(a) A white horse.
(b) A chariot.
(c) A small donkey.
(d) A white car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice join the Winesburg Methodist Church?
2. Why is Jesse interested in the lamb born out of season?
3. What does Jesse want to use his land for?
4. According to the author, the story of Wing is the story of what?
5. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
2. What makes Wash say that "all women are dead, even when they are alive"?
3. Why does Hal get arrested in "The Untold Lie"?
4. How do the Hardy girls respond to Louise when she comes to stay with them?
5. What does David do when Jesse pulls out a knife in the forest?
6. At the end of "Departure", what does George think about Winesburg?
7. Why does Tom and his grandmother move to Winesburg?
8. What happens to Ray and his emotions when he is out buying groceries?
9. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
10. What does the idea of death do to the writer in "The Book of the Grotesque"?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)