|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the town feel about Joe and Sarah?
(a) They try to break them up.
(b) They are indifferent to it.
(c) They are repelled by it.
(d) They are in awe of it.
2. What does Louise do to a farmhand at her family's farm one weekend?
(a) Takes the farmhand's buggy.
(b) Gets the farmhand fired.
(c) Steals the farmhand's money.
(d) Hits the farmhand in anger.
3. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
(a) She has a bad dream.
(b) George does not visit her for several days.
(c) She hears noises come out of his room.
(d) She knows Tom is trying to get him a job.
4. What does Jesse turn to as an explanation for everything?
(a) Farming magazines.
(b) The opinions of his wife.
(c) The opinions of his father.
(d) The hand of God.
5. What does the doctor read to the girl in the winter?
(a) What he writes on scraps of paper.
(b) The daily newspaper.
(c) His medical texts.
(d) All the novels in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say makes it difficult for people to understand Jesse?
2. Why is Tom and Elizabeth's hotel losing guests?
3. Why does Alice save her money?
4. Where does Jesse take David to pray?
5. What does Dr. Reefy ask the tall, dark girl after her first visit with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
2. Why does Jesse leave his family's farm as a young man?
3. Why is George careful when he counts his money on the train?
4. How does Elmer feel about his family?
5. What is the relationship between Helen and the instructor in "Sophistication"?
6. Why does the woman in the doctor's office have blood on her in "Paper Pills"?
7. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
8. The day that Kate is not in her room in "The Strength of God", what is the Reverend's sermon about?
9. What do Seth and Helen talk about on their walk?
10. Why does George go to Belle's house?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)