|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the writer describe the "truths" he writes about?
2. Why does Alice join the Winesburg Methodist Church?
(a) Because she is lonely.
(b) Because she has a crush on Will.
(c) Because she thinks she sins.
(d) Because she wants to find God.
3. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
(a) He is driven out of town.
(b) He gets a new job.
(c) He is bored of his life there.
(d) He meets a woman.
4. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
(a) They both lose a brother.
(b) The both have white mustaches.
(c) The both are in prison.
(d) They both ride bikes.
5. What does Jesse turn to as an explanation for everything?
(a) The opinions of his wife.
(b) The hand of God.
(c) Farming magazines.
(d) The opinions of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesse take David to pray?
2. What is the danger of the writer's subject matter?
3. Where does Wing live during his youth?
4. Who is Wing's only friend?
5. What does Elizabeth take out of a cloth bag that hangs on the wall by a nail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George go to the drug store after leaving Louise?
2. What does Louise say about the gender of her baby?
3. What happens to make David fear Jesse?
4. Why is Reverend Curtis' sermon different after the first time he sees Kate?
5. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
6. Why does Jesse leave his family's farm as a young man?
7. What happens the second time Elmer tries to talk to George?
8. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
9. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
10. Why does the woman in the doctor's office have blood on her in "Paper Pills"?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)