|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
(a) The people he knows.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) His shopping list.
(d) A way to quit smoking.
2. What does Louise do for John Hardy?
(a) She scares his enemies away.
(b) She bakes him a cake.
(c) She paints him a picture.
(d) She writes him a note.
3. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he is afraid of?
(a) Sick people.
(c) Being killed.
(d) Losing his mind.
4. What is the name of Tom and Elizabeth's hotel?
(a) Elizabeth's Rose.
(b) New Willard House.
(c) Old Willard Place.
(d) The Willard.
5. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
(a) The both have white mustaches.
(b) They both lose a brother.
(c) They both ride bikes.
(d) The both are in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "half-witted boy" of Wing's school do at night?
2. How does George feel at the end of the story when he is at the drug store?
3. What does Alice sometimes do with her blanket?
4. What does Jesse turn to as an explanation for everything?
5. What happens when Wing forgets about his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the woman in the doctor's office have blood on her in "Paper Pills"?
2. What happens to Wing's teaching career?
3. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
4. What does Dr. Parcival do with his brother's money?
5. In the story "Mother", what are Elizabeth's hopes and dreams for George?
6. Why does Ed Handby want to get married?
7. In "Paper Pills", how are the tall, dark girl's suitors different?
8. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
9. In the story "Drink", how does Tom feel about women?
10. What does Elizabeth and George watch happen in the alley?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)