|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
(a) They are grateful to help him improve it.
(b) They are fearful of what he builds.
(c) The laugh and hope he loses money.
(d) They ignore him for taking up so much space.
2. What happens when Wing forgets about his hands?
(a) He puts them on George's shoulder.
(b) He paints a picture.
(c) He forgets how to talk.
(d) He leaves his front porch.
3. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
(a) He is driven out of town.
(b) He meets a woman.
(c) He gets a new job.
(d) He is bored of his life there.
4. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
(a) Above the shoe repair shop.
(b) Next to the baker.
(c) Above the saloon.
(d) Below the book bookstore.
5. What does Tom's conversation with George about being successful make Elizabeth want to do?
(a) Talk to George herself.
(b) Send George to college.
(c) Kill Tom.
(d) Move out of the hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice do the night that it rains?
2. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
3. What is the danger of the writer's subject matter?
4. Where does George find Louise when he decides to answer her letter?
5. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joe planting grass seed?
2. What does Jesse feel David's coming means?
3. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
4. What makes it difficult for the carpenter to finish his job in "The Book of the Grotesque" and why?
5. What does Dr. Parcival do with his brother's money?
6. What does George tell his mother he wants to do at the end of "Mother"?
7. What annoys George as he waits for Louise in the story "Nobody Knows"?
8. How does the author compare Dr. Reefy to the twisted apples of Winesburg?
9. As revealed in the story "Death", why does Elizabeth marry Tom?
10. Why is George careful when he counts his money on the train?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)