|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it Jesse's fault his wife dies?
(a) She is too delicate to live on a farm.
(b) He poisons her.
(c) She has a broken heart.
(d) He has been hitting her.
2. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) A way to quit smoking.
(c) The people he knows.
(d) His shopping list.
3. Where does George walk after leaving work one night?
(a) Down the center of the street.
(b) In the alleyway.
(c) Up and down everyone's walkways.
(d) Along the curb.
4. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
(a) Next to the baker.
(b) Below the book bookstore.
(c) Above the shoe repair shop.
(d) Above the saloon.
5. Why does Alice join the Winesburg Methodist Church?
(a) Because she is lonely.
(b) Because she wants to find God.
(c) Because she has a crush on Will.
(d) Because she thinks she sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David make that he always carries with him?
2. How does Louise act toward her education?
3. What does Dr. Reefy ask the tall, dark girl after her first visit with him?
4. What makes Elizabeth use the "feeble flame of life that remains in her body" to get out of bed and creep toward George's bedroom one July evening?
5. What happens when Wing forgets about his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wing feel about the town where he lives?
2. Why does Jesse leave his family's farm as a young man?
3. As revealed in the story "Death", why does Elizabeth marry Tom?
4. How does Tom relate to his daughter, Tandy?
5. On the night of the storm, what happens between Kate and George?
6. Why is George careful when he counts his money on the train?
7. In the story "Mother", what are Elizabeth's hopes and dreams for George?
8. What does Joe tell George about decay in "A Man of Ideas"?
9. What does Kate tell George about writing in "The Teacher"?
10. What does the idea of death do to the writer in "The Book of the Grotesque"?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)