|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George borrow from Kate?
(a) A pencil.
(b) Her telephone.
(c) A book.
(d) A car.
2. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) Her father is ill.
(b) She still lives there.
(c) She has to move back home.
(d) She is home from college.
3. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(c) Telegraph operator.
4. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
5. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(b) Wake up.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Understand Kate.
6. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She yells at George.
(d) She cries.
7. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(b) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks they are all lies.
8. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) The hotel's debt.
(b) Money in a box.
(c) The family curse.
(d) The leaking roof.
9. How old is Tandy?
10. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He boards it up.
(b) He shatters the glass.
(c) He makes a small hole in it.
(d) He gets new curtains.
11. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He dies of a disease.
(b) He leaves home when Seth is young.
(c) He moves to Europe.
(d) He is killed.
12. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
13. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(b) They kiss.
(c) She runs out of the room.
(d) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
14. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To Winesburg.
(b) To her father's.
(c) To her lover's.
(d) To her mother's.
15. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A sailor.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A farmhand.
(d) A musician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wash's job?
2. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
3. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
4. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
5. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)