|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To open a saloon.
(b) To find love.
(c) To stop drinking.
(d) To teach his life story.
2. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he misses Brooklyn.
(c) That he is broke.
(d) That he hates women.
3. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
(a) Save the hotel.
(b) Buy a car.
(c) Kill his father.
(d) Make a change in his life.
4. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to get beaten down by life.
(b) Not to marry Nell.
(c) Not to quit his job.
(d) Not to worry.
5. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(b) She runs out of the room.
(c) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(d) They kiss.
6. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The saloon.
(b) The fair grounds.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) Helen's house.
7. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Everything and nothing.
(b) The best home goods.
(c) Things that are too expensive.
(d) Not enough stuff.
8. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
9. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(b) His wife.
10. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) She is home from college.
(b) She has to move back home.
(c) Her father is ill.
(d) She still lives there.
11. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
12. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
(a) Someone who lives in Winesburg.
(b) Someone who is rich.
(c) Someone who talks a lot.
(d) Someone who is shy.
13. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
(a) George Willard.
(b) Her father.
(c) The drunken stranger.
(d) Her mother.
14. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Ice skate.
(b) Build a snowman.
(c) Talk to Helen.
(d) Go sledding.
15. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
(a) Ed Handby.
(b) George Willard.
(c) Art Wilson.
(d) Belle Carpenter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
2. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
3. What is Wash's job?
4. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
5. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)