|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
2. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
(a) He says he'll do it again tomorrow.
(b) He says it is fun.
(c) He says it is a mistake.
(d) He says he's sorry.
3. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She yells at George.
(d) She locks herself in her room.
4. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) A truly passionate person.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A distraction.
(d) An old maid.
5. What makes Hal different from Ray?
(a) Hal is married.
(b) Hal is older than Ray.
(c) Hal is always getting into trouble.
(d) Hal hates people.
6. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To run away.
(b) To pay off George.
(c) To help Mook.
(d) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
7. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Deep and quiet.
(b) High pitched and squeeky.
(c) Loud and abrasive.
(d) Soft and gentle.
8. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(b) For her to give him his money back.
(c) For her to touch him.
(d) For her to cry.
9. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That his mother is too small.
(b) That it is not his mother.
(c) That he is fine.
(d) That this is just the beginning.
10. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
(a) Sends it back.
(b) Tears it up.
(c) Puts it in a box.
(d) Burns it.
11. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Build a snowman.
(b) Go sledding.
(c) Talk to Helen.
(d) Ice skate.
12. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
13. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
(a) Makes extra coffee.
(b) Pay too much for the salesman's goods.
(c) Let Ebenezer make all the decisions.
(d) Points a gun at the salesman.
14. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(b) Wake up.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Understand Kate.
15. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) Helen's house.
(b) The fair grounds.
(c) The saloon.
(d) The grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George borrow from Kate?
2. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
3. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
4. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
5. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)