|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her nail-biting.
(b) Her smoking.
(c) Her swearing.
(d) Her drinking.
2. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) Very desirable.
(b) An intellectual.
(c) An old maid.
(d) A penny pincher.
3. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A musician.
(d) A farmhand.
4. What does George borrow from Kate?
(a) A car.
(b) A pencil.
(c) Her telephone.
(d) A book.
5. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) A mystery novel.
(b) A love story.
(c) The best article of the year.
(d) The great American novel.
6. How old is Tandy?
7. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel madly in love.
(b) They feel as if their needs are met.
(c) They feel resentful toward each other.
(d) They feel sad that they must leave.
8. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(b) To pay off George.
(c) To run away.
(d) To help Mook.
9. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
10. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She cries.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She yells at George.
11. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
12. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He kisses her feet.
(b) He slaps her across the face.
(c) He kneels and kisses her hands.
(d) He falls down drunk.
13. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
(a) To buy movie tickets.
(b) To buy medicine.
(c) To put in his savings.
(d) To buy food.
14. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) They kiss.
(b) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(c) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(d) She runs out of the room.
15. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His back.
(b) His knees.
(c) His elbows.
(d) His shoulders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
2. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
3. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
4. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
5. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)