|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Everything and nothing.
(b) Things that are too expensive.
(c) The best home goods.
(d) Not enough stuff.
2. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(d) Telegraph operator.
3. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
4. What makes Hal different from Ray?
(a) Hal is always getting into trouble.
(b) Hal is older than Ray.
(c) Hal is married.
(d) Hal hates people.
5. Where does Enoch sometimes read?
(a) On neighbor's porches.
(b) In trees.
(c) Walking down the middle of the road.
(d) On the hoods of cars.
6. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Ice skate.
(b) Go sledding.
(c) Talk to Helen.
(d) Build a snowman.
7. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The saloon.
(b) The fair grounds.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) Helen's house.
8. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Read all her books.
(b) Summon death.
(c) Hide her money.
(d) Sew a blanket.
9. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks they are all lies.
(b) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
10. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) Very desirable.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A penny pincher.
(d) An intellectual.
11. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He shatters the glass.
(b) He makes a small hole in it.
(c) He gets new curtains.
(d) He boards it up.
12. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Loud and abrasive.
(b) High pitched and squeeky.
(c) Deep and quiet.
(d) Soft and gentle.
13. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(b) She runs out of the room.
(c) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(d) They kiss.
14. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His elbows.
(b) His back.
(c) His knees.
(d) His shoulders.
15. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She locks herself in her room.
(b) She cries.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She yells at George.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
2. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
3. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
4. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
5. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)