|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He yells back at her.
(b) He cries.
(c) He runs away from home.
(d) He looks her straight in the eyes.
2. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He kneels and kisses her hands.
(b) He falls down drunk.
(c) He slaps her across the face.
(d) He kisses her feet.
3. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That it is not his mother.
(b) That he is fine.
(c) That this is just the beginning.
(d) That his mother is too small.
4. What makes Hal different from Ray?
(a) Hal is married.
(b) Hal is older than Ray.
(c) Hal hates people.
(d) Hal is always getting into trouble.
5. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
(a) George Willard.
(b) The drunken stranger.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
6. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he misses Brooklyn.
(c) That he hates women.
(d) That he is broke.
7. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) Helen's house.
(b) The saloon.
(c) The fair grounds.
(d) The grocery store.
8. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An old maid.
(b) A distraction.
(c) An instrument of God.
(d) A truly passionate person.
9. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) A rich man.
(b) A coward.
(c) A fool.
(d) An idiot.
10. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to marry Nell.
(b) Not to get beaten down by life.
(c) Not to worry.
(d) Not to quit his job.
11. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Loud and abrasive.
(b) Deep and quiet.
(c) High pitched and squeeky.
(d) Soft and gentle.
12. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
(a) Someone who talks a lot.
(b) Someone who is rich.
(c) Someone who is shy.
(d) Someone who lives in Winesburg.
13. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
(a) To buy medicine.
(b) To buy movie tickets.
(c) To put in his savings.
(d) To buy food.
14. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
(a) Points a gun at the salesman.
(b) Makes extra coffee.
(c) Let Ebenezer make all the decisions.
(d) Pay too much for the salesman's goods.
15. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
(b) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(c) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
(d) She thinks none of them are good enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
2. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
3. What does George borrow from Kate?
4. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
5. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)