|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(b) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
(c) She thinks none of them are good enough.
(d) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
2. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to marry Nell.
(b) Not to quit his job.
(c) Not to worry.
(d) Not to get beaten down by life.
3. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) A truly passionate person.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A distraction.
(d) An instrument of God.
4. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(b) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(c) She runs out of the room.
(d) They kiss.
5. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) Money in a box.
(b) The hotel's debt.
(c) The family curse.
(d) The leaking roof.
6. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(b) Understand Kate.
(c) Wake up.
(d) Go to sleep.
7. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To find love.
(b) To teach his life story.
(c) To open a saloon.
(d) To stop drinking.
8. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
9. What does Ebenezer wear?
(a) A purple tie.
(b) A Prince Albert coat.
(c) A blue tuxedo jacket.
(d) An old sweater.
10. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he hates women.
(c) That he is broke.
(d) That he misses Brooklyn.
11. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
(a) Write her a letter.
(b) Go to her house.
(c) Avoid her.
(d) Work hard at the newspaper.
12. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) She still lives there.
(b) She has to move back home.
(c) Her father is ill.
(d) She is home from college.
13. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
(b) He thinks he has more to say.
(c) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(d) He thinks they are all lies.
14. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Build a snowman.
(b) Ice skate.
(c) Go sledding.
(d) Talk to Helen.
15. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
(b) Ed Griffith.
(c) The banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
2. How is Enoch talented?
3. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
4. How old is Tandy?
5. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)