|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A bear.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A deer.
(d) A donkey.
2. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(b) His wife.
3. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(a) Telegraph operator.
4. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) They kiss.
(b) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(c) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
(d) She runs out of the room.
5. What does George borrow from Kate?
(a) Her telephone.
(b) A car.
(c) A book.
(d) A pencil.
6. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) Money in a box.
(b) The leaking roof.
(c) The family curse.
(d) The hotel's debt.
7. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
8. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) Her father is ill.
(b) She is home from college.
(c) She has to move back home.
(d) She still lives there.
9. Who does Elmer open up to about his feelings for his family?
10. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
(a) They feel uninspired.
(b) They feel confused.
(c) They feel insulted.
(d) They feel spiritually moved.
11. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
(a) The Reverend.
(b) Hop Higgins.
(d) Her aunt.
12. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He dies of a disease.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He leaves home when Seth is young.
(d) He moves to Europe.
13. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) His mistress.
(b) Her father's opinion.
(c) His lack of money.
(d) George Willard.
14. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) Helen's house.
(c) The fair grounds.
(d) The saloon.
15. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He falls down drunk.
(b) He slaps her across the face.
(c) He kneels and kisses her hands.
(d) He kisses her feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
2. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
3. What makes Hal different from Ray?
4. What does Ebenezer wear?
5. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)