|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He cries.
(b) He runs away from home.
(c) He yells back at her.
(d) He looks her straight in the eyes.
2. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Things that are too expensive.
(b) The best home goods.
(c) Everything and nothing.
(d) Not enough stuff.
3. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to worry.
(b) Not to marry Nell.
(c) Not to get beaten down by life.
(d) Not to quit his job.
4. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Anger and hatred.
(b) Suffering and unhappiness.
(c) Love and closeness.
(d) Honesty and bonding.
5. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
6. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A deer.
(d) A bear.
7. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His elbows.
(b) His shoulders.
(c) His knees.
(d) His back.
8. Where does Enoch move after he gets married?
(b) New York City.
9. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
10. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Build a snowman.
(b) Go sledding.
(c) Ice skate.
(d) Talk to Helen.
11. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To her lover's.
(b) To her mother's.
(c) To her father's.
(d) To Winesburg.
12. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
13. What does George borrow from Kate?
(a) A book.
(b) A pencil.
(c) Her telephone.
(d) A car.
14. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
(a) Points a gun at the salesman.
(b) Let Ebenezer make all the decisions.
(c) Makes extra coffee.
(d) Pay too much for the salesman's goods.
15. What does Tandy think of her name?
(a) She isn't sure yet if it's a good fit for her.
(b) She does not want to be called Tandy Hand.
(c) She wants to be called Tandy Hand.
(d) She doesn't say anything about the name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
2. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
3. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
4. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
5. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)