|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
(a) Telegraph operator.
2. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel as if their needs are met.
(b) They feel resentful toward each other.
(c) They feel madly in love.
(d) They feel sad that they must leave.
3. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That it is not his mother.
(b) That he is fine.
(c) That his mother is too small.
(d) That this is just the beginning.
4. Where does Enoch sometimes read?
(a) In trees.
(b) On the hoods of cars.
(c) On neighbor's porches.
(d) Walking down the middle of the road.
5. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Sew a blanket.
(b) Read all her books.
(c) Summon death.
(d) Hide her money.
6. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
(a) He wants to slap her.
(b) He's trying to kiss her.
(c) He's trying to explain something to her.
(d) He has too much to drink.
7. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
8. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His back.
(b) His elbows.
(c) His knees.
(d) His shoulders.
9. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
(a) Work hard at the newspaper.
(b) Write her a letter.
(c) Go to her house.
(d) Avoid her.
10. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Suffering and unhappiness.
(b) Anger and hatred.
(c) Honesty and bonding.
(d) Love and closeness.
11. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) A love story.
(b) The great American novel.
(c) The best article of the year.
(d) A mystery novel.
12. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He shatters the glass.
(b) He boards it up.
(c) He gets new curtains.
(d) He makes a small hole in it.
13. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She yells at George.
(c) She cries.
(d) She locks herself in her room.
14. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks he has more to say.
(b) He thinks they are all lies.
(c) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
15. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Hop Higgins.
(c) The Reverend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
2. What does George borrow from Kate?
3. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
4. What does Tandy think of her name?
5. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)