|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
(a) New York City.
2. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Things that are too expensive.
(b) Not enough stuff.
(c) Everything and nothing.
(d) The best home goods.
3. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
(b) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(c) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
(d) She thinks none of them are good enough.
4. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he misses Brooklyn.
(c) That he hates women.
(d) That he is broke.
5. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to worry.
(b) Not to get beaten down by life.
(c) Not to marry Nell.
(d) Not to quit his job.
6. What does Ed do when George interrupts his marriage proposal to Belle?
(a) He shoves George into the bushes.
(b) He leaves Belle's house.
(c) He tells Belle he doesn't want her anyway.
(d) He threatens George and Belle physically.
7. Who does Elmer open up to about his feelings for his family?
8. How old is Tandy?
9. How is Enoch talented?
10. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Hide her money.
(b) Sew a blanket.
(c) Summon death.
(d) Read all her books.
11. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
(a) George Willard.
(b) Art Wilson.
(c) Belle Carpenter.
(d) Ed Handby.
12. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
13. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
14. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(d) His wife.
15. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
2. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
3. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
4. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
5. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)