|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
(a) The banker.
(d) Ed Griffith.
2. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
(a) Because he has extra money.
(b) Because he is on a date.
(c) Because someone gives him free whiskey.
(d) Because he never is drunk before.
3. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
4. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(c) Telegraph operator.
5. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Suffering and unhappiness.
(b) Anger and hatred.
(c) Love and closeness.
(d) Honesty and bonding.
6. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) A love story.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) The great American novel.
(d) The best article of the year.
7. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to marry Nell.
(b) Not to quit his job.
(c) Not to get beaten down by life.
(d) Not to worry.
8. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A bear.
(d) A deer.
9. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
(a) He has too much to drink.
(b) He wants to slap her.
(c) He's trying to kiss her.
(d) He's trying to explain something to her.
10. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
(a) Belle Carpenter.
(b) Ed Handby.
(c) George Willard.
(d) Art Wilson.
11. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The saloon.
(b) Helen's house.
(c) The fair grounds.
(d) The grocery store.
12. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her drinking.
(b) Her smoking.
(c) Her swearing.
(d) Her nail-biting.
13. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he hates women.
(c) That he is broke.
(d) That he misses Brooklyn.
14. When Helen and Seth go for a walk, how does Helen feel about Seth?
(a) She thinks he is loud.
(b) She thinks he is manly.
(c) She thinks he is scary.
(d) She thinks he is shy.
15. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) The hotel's debt.
(b) Money in a box.
(c) The leaking roof.
(d) The family curse.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
2. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
3. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
4. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
5. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)