|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
(b) Hop Higgins.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) The Reverend.
2. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
(a) Work where talk doesn't matter.
(b) Work where he is with people.
(c) Work as a great writer like George.
(d) Work as a berry picker.
3. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A deer.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A bear.
(d) A donkey.
4. What is Wash's job?
(a) Telegraph operator.
(d) Wash is unemployed.
5. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Hide her money.
(b) Sew a blanket.
(c) Read all her books.
(d) Summon death.
6. How is Enoch talented?
7. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to worry.
(b) Not to get beaten down by life.
(c) Not to quit his job.
(d) Not to marry Nell.
8. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
(a) Someone who lives in Winesburg.
(b) Someone who is shy.
(c) Someone who talks a lot.
(d) Someone who is rich.
9. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He runs away from home.
(b) He yells back at her.
(c) He looks her straight in the eyes.
(d) He cries.
10. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Suffering and unhappiness.
(b) Anger and hatred.
(c) Love and closeness.
(d) Honesty and bonding.
11. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her swearing.
(b) Her smoking.
(c) Her nail-biting.
(d) Her drinking.
12. What does Ed do when George interrupts his marriage proposal to Belle?
(a) He leaves Belle's house.
(b) He shoves George into the bushes.
(c) He threatens George and Belle physically.
(d) He tells Belle he doesn't want her anyway.
13. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A farmhand.
(b) A musician.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A sailor.
14. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To her mother's.
(b) To her father's.
(c) To Winesburg.
(d) To her lover's.
15. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
(a) They feel insulted.
(b) They feel confused.
(c) They feel spiritually moved.
(d) They feel uninspired.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
2. What does George borrow from Kate?
3. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
4. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
5. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)