|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) Her father's opinion.
(b) His mistress.
(c) George Willard.
(d) His lack of money.
2. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) She still lives there.
(b) Her father is ill.
(c) She is home from college.
(d) She has to move back home.
3. What does Ed do when George interrupts his marriage proposal to Belle?
(a) He leaves Belle's house.
(b) He threatens George and Belle physically.
(c) He tells Belle he doesn't want her anyway.
(d) He shoves George into the bushes.
4. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks they are all lies.
(b) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
5. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her drinking.
(b) Her smoking.
(c) Her nail-biting.
(d) Her swearing.
6. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He looks her straight in the eyes.
(b) He runs away from home.
(c) He yells back at her.
(d) He cries.
7. What does Elmer believe the town thinks about him and his father?
(a) That they are dangerous.
(b) That they are broke.
(c) That they are smart.
(d) That they are strange.
8. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A sailor.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A musician.
(d) A farmhand.
9. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
(a) Work hard at the newspaper.
(b) Go to her house.
(c) Avoid her.
(d) Write her a letter.
10. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
(a) To put in his savings.
(b) To buy medicine.
(c) To buy food.
(d) To buy movie tickets.
11. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(c) His wife.
12. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Puts it in a box.
(d) Sends it back.
13. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) Very desirable.
(b) A penny pincher.
(c) An old maid.
(d) An intellectual.
14. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His knees.
(b) His elbows.
(c) His shoulders.
(d) His back.
15. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
(a) The banker.
(b) Ed Griffith.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
2. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
3. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
4. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
5. What is Tom's voice like?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)