|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
(a) His shoulders.
(b) His knees.
(c) His elbows.
(d) His back.
2. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He kisses her feet.
(b) He slaps her across the face.
(c) He falls down drunk.
(d) He kneels and kisses her hands.
3. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) A love story.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) The great American novel.
(d) The best article of the year.
4. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
(a) Someone who is shy.
(b) Someone who is rich.
(c) Someone who talks a lot.
(d) Someone who lives in Winesburg.
5. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That it is not his mother.
(b) That his mother is too small.
(c) That he is fine.
(d) That this is just the beginning.
6. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A truly passionate person.
(c) An old maid.
(d) An instrument of God.
7. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) They kiss.
(b) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(c) She runs out of the room.
(d) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
8. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He gets new curtains.
(b) He shatters the glass.
(c) He boards it up.
(d) He makes a small hole in it.
9. What is Wash's job?
(b) Telegraph operator.
(c) Wash is unemployed.
10. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
(b) Telegraph operator.
11. What does Ebenezer wear?
(a) A Prince Albert coat.
(b) An old sweater.
(c) A blue tuxedo jacket.
(d) A purple tie.
12. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) The hotel's debt.
(b) The family curse.
(c) The leaking roof.
(d) Money in a box.
13. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) An intellectual.
(b) Very desirable.
(c) A penny pincher.
(d) An old maid.
14. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He dies of a disease.
(b) He moves to Europe.
(c) He leaves home when Seth is young.
(d) He is killed.
15. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
(a) He's trying to explain something to her.
(b) He's trying to kiss her.
(c) He has too much to drink.
(d) He wants to slap her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
2. What makes Hal different from Ray?
3. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
4. Where does Enoch move after he gets married?
5. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)