|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
2. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Hop Higgins.
(d) The Reverend.
3. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(c) Telegraph operator.
4. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he hates women.
(c) That he misses Brooklyn.
(d) That he is broke.
5. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To pay off George.
(b) To help Mook.
(c) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(d) To run away.
6. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To her father's.
(b) To her lover's.
(c) To Winesburg.
(d) To her mother's.
7. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To open a saloon.
(b) To stop drinking.
(c) To teach his life story.
(d) To find love.
8. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) A distraction.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) An old maid.
(d) A truly passionate person.
9. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) A fool.
(b) An idiot.
(c) A coward.
(d) A rich man.
10. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
11. What does Elmer believe the town thinks about him and his father?
(a) That they are dangerous.
(b) That they are strange.
(c) That they are broke.
(d) That they are smart.
12. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(b) For her to touch him.
(c) For her to give him his money back.
(d) For her to cry.
13. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Soft and gentle.
(b) Deep and quiet.
(c) High pitched and squeeky.
(d) Loud and abrasive.
14. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to quit his job.
(b) Not to get beaten down by life.
(c) Not to marry Nell.
(d) Not to worry.
15. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) The leaking roof.
(b) The hotel's debt.
(c) The family curse.
(d) Money in a box.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
2. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
3. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
4. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
5. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)