|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel as if their needs are met.
(b) They feel madly in love.
(c) They feel resentful toward each other.
(d) They feel sad that they must leave.
2. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To run away.
(b) To pay off George.
(c) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(d) To help Mook.
3. What does Ebenezer wear?
(a) A blue tuxedo jacket.
(b) A Prince Albert coat.
(c) A purple tie.
(d) An old sweater.
4. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
(a) He says he's sorry.
(b) He says he'll do it again tomorrow.
(c) He says it is fun.
(d) He says it is a mistake.
5. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To open a saloon.
(b) To find love.
(c) To stop drinking.
(d) To teach his life story.
6. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
(a) Work as a berry picker.
(b) Work where talk doesn't matter.
(c) Work where he is with people.
(d) Work as a great writer like George.
7. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A bear.
(b) A deer.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A donkey.
8. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) His lack of money.
(b) His mistress.
(c) Her father's opinion.
(d) George Willard.
9. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An instrument of God.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A truly passionate person.
10. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He falls down drunk.
(b) He kneels and kisses her hands.
(c) He kisses her feet.
(d) He slaps her across the face.
11. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Anger and hatred.
(b) Love and closeness.
(c) Suffering and unhappiness.
(d) Honesty and bonding.
12. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That this is just the beginning.
(b) That he is fine.
(c) That his mother is too small.
(d) That it is not his mother.
13. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He boards it up.
(b) He shatters the glass.
(c) He gets new curtains.
(d) He makes a small hole in it.
14. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(b) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
(c) She thinks none of them are good enough.
(d) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
15. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to quit his job.
(b) Not to get beaten down by life.
(c) Not to marry Nell.
(d) Not to worry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
2. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
3. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
4. What is Wash's job?
5. Why does Helen sit next to the instructor in the grandstand?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)