|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tandy?
2. What is Wash's job?
(a) Wash is unemployed.
(b) Telegraph operator.
3. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
(b) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
(c) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(d) She thinks none of them are good enough.
4. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) A fool.
(b) A rich man.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A coward.
5. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
(a) Art Wilson.
(b) Ed Handby.
(c) Belle Carpenter.
(d) George Willard.
6. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
(a) He has too much to drink.
(b) He wants to slap her.
(c) He's trying to kiss her.
(d) He's trying to explain something to her.
7. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
(a) To buy medicine.
(b) To buy food.
(c) To buy movie tickets.
(d) To put in his savings.
8. What happens with Elizabeth tells Dr. Reefy about the time she tries to run away?
(a) Dr. Reefy charges her for the visit.
(b) They kiss.
(c) She runs out of the room.
(d) Dr. Reefy slaps her.
9. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
(a) Telegraph operator.
10. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
(b) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks they are all lies.
11. How many dates do Ed and Belle have?
12. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
(a) They feel uninspired.
(b) They feel spiritually moved.
(c) They feel confused.
(d) They feel insulted.
13. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
(a) George Willard.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) The drunken stranger.
14. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he is all alone.
(b) That he hates women.
(c) That he is broke.
(d) That he misses Brooklyn.
15. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Sew a blanket.
(b) Hide her money.
(c) Read all her books.
(d) Summon death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
2. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
3. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
4. Who does Elmer open up to about his feelings for his family?
5. What makes Hal different from Ray?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)