|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
2. Where does Enoch sometimes read?
(a) In trees.
(b) On the hoods of cars.
(c) Walking down the middle of the road.
(d) On neighbor's porches.
3. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(b) He thinks they are all lies.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
4. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) She still lives there.
(b) Her father is ill.
(c) She has to move back home.
(d) She is home from college.
5. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A farmhand.
(c) A musician.
(d) An engineer.
6. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An instrument of God.
(b) A truly passionate person.
(c) A distraction.
(d) An old maid.
7. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A bear.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A deer.
(d) A monkey.
8. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
(a) She thinks that there aren't enough boys.
(b) She thinks none of them are good enough.
(c) She is indifferent to Winesburg boys.
(d) She thinks country boys are better than city boys.
9. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
10. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Understand Kate.
(c) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(d) Wake up.
11. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel resentful toward each other.
(b) They feel as if their needs are met.
(c) They feel madly in love.
(d) They feel sad that they must leave.
12. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A rich man.
(c) A coward.
(d) A fool.
13. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
(a) Pay too much for the salesman's goods.
(b) Makes extra coffee.
(c) Points a gun at the salesman.
(d) Let Ebenezer make all the decisions.
14. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
(a) New York City.
15. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
(b) Telegraph operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
2. What makes Hal different from Ray?
3. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
4. Who names the girl "Tandy"?
5. What is Tom's voice like?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)