|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) A love story.
(b) The best article of the year.
(c) The great American novel.
(d) A mystery novel.
2. What does Reverend Curtis do to the window in his office after he sees Kate through it the first time?
(a) He gets new curtains.
(b) He boards it up.
(c) He shatters the glass.
(d) He makes a small hole in it.
3. Where does Enoch sometimes read?
(a) On neighbor's porches.
(b) On the hoods of cars.
(c) In trees.
(d) Walking down the middle of the road.
4. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
(a) Buy a car.
(b) Kill his father.
(c) Save the hotel.
(d) Make a change in his life.
5. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(c) Telegraph operator.
6. How old is Tandy?
7. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(b) He thinks he has more to say.
(c) He thinks they are all lies.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
8. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel as if their needs are met.
(b) They feel resentful toward each other.
(c) They feel madly in love.
(d) They feel sad that they must leave.
9. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) For her to touch him.
(b) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(c) For her to give him his money back.
(d) For her to cry.
10. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Loud and abrasive.
(b) High pitched and squeeky.
(c) Deep and quiet.
(d) Soft and gentle.
11. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(b) His wife.
12. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Understand Kate.
(b) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Wake up.
13. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Things that are too expensive.
(b) The best home goods.
(c) Everything and nothing.
(d) Not enough stuff.
14. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) His lack of money.
(b) Her father's opinion.
(c) His mistress.
(d) George Willard.
15. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
(a) Write her a letter.
(b) Go to her house.
(c) Work hard at the newspaper.
(d) Avoid her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmer believe the town thinks about him and his father?
2. When the traveling salesman visits the store, what does Elmer do?
3. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
4. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
5. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)