|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "the women in the place don't embarrass me although they try hard enough"?
(a) George Willard.
(b) Belle Carpenter.
(c) Art Wilson.
(d) Ed Handby.
2. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) The great American novel.
(b) A love story.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) The best article of the year.
3. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The fair grounds.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The saloon.
(d) Helen's house.
4. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A farmhand.
(b) A musician.
(c) A sailor.
(d) An engineer.
5. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
6. What does Wash do with the banker's wife's letter?
(a) Puts it in a box.
(b) Sends it back.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Tears it up.
7. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A bear.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A deer.
8. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
(a) Suffering and unhappiness.
(b) Anger and hatred.
(c) Love and closeness.
(d) Honesty and bonding.
9. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks they are all lies.
(b) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(c) He thinks he has more to say.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
10. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
11. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
12. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her smoking.
(b) Her drinking.
(c) Her nail-biting.
(d) Her swearing.
13. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he hates women.
(b) That he is broke.
(c) That he is all alone.
(d) That he misses Brooklyn.
14. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
(c) New York City.
15. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
(a) That it is not his mother.
(b) That his mother is too small.
(c) That this is just the beginning.
(d) That he is fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
2. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
3. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
4. When the Reverend thinks about leaving the ministry, what other career does he consider?
5. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)