|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George reflects back on a summer evening she shares with Helen, what does it inspire him to do?
(a) Avoid her.
(b) Write her a letter.
(c) Go to her house.
(d) Work hard at the newspaper.
2. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) Very desirable.
(b) A penny pincher.
(c) An old maid.
(d) An intellectual.
3. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(b) He thinks he has more to say.
(c) He thinks they are all lies.
(d) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
4. What does Ebenezer wear?
(a) A Prince Albert coat.
(b) An old sweater.
(c) A purple tie.
(d) A blue tuxedo jacket.
5. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She cries.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She yells at George.
(d) She laughs.
6. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To help Mook.
(b) To run away.
(c) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(d) To pay off George.
7. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He runs away from home.
(b) He looks her straight in the eyes.
(c) He yells back at her.
(d) He cries.
8. Why is Helen at her parent's house in "Sophistication"?
(a) She is home from college.
(b) Her father is ill.
(c) She still lives there.
(d) She has to move back home.
9. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to get beaten down by life.
(b) Not to quit his job.
(c) Not to worry.
(d) Not to marry Nell.
10. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He moves to Europe.
(b) He dies of a disease.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He leaves home when Seth is young.
11. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) For her to touch him.
(b) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(c) For her to give him his money back.
(d) For her to cry.
12. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Summon death.
(b) Sew a blanket.
(c) Read all her books.
(d) Hide her money.
13. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he hates women.
(b) That he is broke.
(c) That he is all alone.
(d) That he misses Brooklyn.
14. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
(a) He says it is fun.
(b) He says he's sorry.
(c) He says it is a mistake.
(d) He says he'll do it again tomorrow.
15. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
(a) Because he has extra money.
(b) Because he never is drunk before.
(c) Because he is on a date.
(d) Because someone gives him free whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
2. What part of Ray's body is bowed from too much work?
3. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
4. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
5. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)