|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To teach his life story.
(b) To open a saloon.
(c) To find love.
(d) To stop drinking.
2. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
3. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To her lover's.
(b) To Winesburg.
(c) To her father's.
(d) To her mother's.
4. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
(a) That he hates women.
(b) That he misses Brooklyn.
(c) That he is broke.
(d) That he is all alone.
5. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An old maid.
(b) A truly passionate person.
(c) A distraction.
(d) An instrument of God.
6. What does George borrow from Kate?
(a) Her telephone.
(b) A car.
(c) A book.
(d) A pencil.
7. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) For her to give him his money back.
(b) For her to cry.
(c) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(d) For her to touch him.
8. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He leaves home when Seth is young.
(b) He moves to Europe.
(c) He dies of a disease.
(d) He is killed.
9. How does Ed make George feel at the end of "An Awakening"?
10. On the snowy day, what does George go to do?
(a) Talk to Helen.
(b) Build a snowman.
(c) Ice skate.
(d) Go sledding.
11. What type of person does Seth think Helen ends up with?
(a) Someone who lives in Winesburg.
(b) Someone who is rich.
(c) Someone who is shy.
(d) Someone who talks a lot.
12. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to get beaten down by life.
(b) Not to worry.
(c) Not to quit his job.
(d) Not to marry Nell.
13. Where do Helen and George walk to at the end of "Sophistication"?
(a) The fair grounds.
(b) Helen's house.
(c) The saloon.
(d) The grocery store.
14. Where does Enoch move after he gets married?
(b) New York City.
15. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
(a) He cries.
(b) He runs away from home.
(c) He looks her straight in the eyes.
(d) He yells back at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George whisper to himself when he sees his mother's body?
2. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
3. What is Tom's voice like?
4. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
5. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)