|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) George Willard.
(b) His mistress.
(c) Her father's opinion.
(d) His lack of money.
2. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
(a) Work where he is with people.
(b) Work where talk doesn't matter.
(c) Work as a great writer like George.
(d) Work as a berry picker.
3. At the end of "Sophistication", how to George and Helen feel?
(a) They feel sad that they must leave.
(b) They feel as if their needs are met.
(c) They feel resentful toward each other.
(d) They feel madly in love.
4. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) A rich man.
(b) An idiot.
(c) A coward.
(d) A fool.
5. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
6. What does Tandy think of her name?
(a) She doesn't say anything about the name.
(b) She isn't sure yet if it's a good fit for her.
(c) She does not want to be called Tandy Hand.
(d) She wants to be called Tandy Hand.
7. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To pay off George.
(b) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(c) To run away.
(d) To help Mook.
8. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
(c) New York City.
9. On the night of the storm, who does Kate go to talk to?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Hop Higgins.
(c) The Reverend.
10. What happens to Seth's father?
(a) He leaves home when Seth is young.
(b) He moves to Europe.
(c) He dies of a disease.
(d) He is killed.
11. How is Enoch talented?
12. When Helen and Seth go for a walk, how does Helen feel about Seth?
(a) She thinks he is manly.
(b) She thinks he is loud.
(c) She thinks he is scary.
(d) She thinks he is shy.
13. At the end of this story, who does Reverend Curtis feel is an "instrument of God"?
(b) His wife.
14. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
(a) To put in his savings.
(b) To buy movie tickets.
(c) To buy medicine.
(d) To buy food.
15. What does Elizabeth do once she returns home from visiting Dr. Reefy?
(a) She locks herself in her room.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She yells at George.
(d) She cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
2. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
3. How does Helen's mother feel about the boys in Winesburg?
4. What is Tom's voice like?
5. What animal do residents of Winesburg say Wash Williams resembles?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)