|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Tom's religious beliefs?
2. What does Ebenezer wear?
(a) A purple tie.
(b) A blue tuxedo jacket.
(c) An old sweater.
(d) A Prince Albert coat.
3. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
(a) The banker.
(c) Ed Griffith.
4. What does Ed believe is his only obstacle to get Belle to marry him?
(a) His lack of money.
(b) Her father's opinion.
(c) His mistress.
(d) George Willard.
5. Why does the drunken stranger move to Winesburg?
(a) To open a saloon.
(b) To stop drinking.
(c) To find love.
(d) To teach his life story.
6. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An old maid.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A truly passionate person.
7. What does Elmer believe the town thinks about him and his father?
(a) That they are dangerous.
(b) That they are strange.
(c) That they are smart.
(d) That they are broke.
8. Why does Helen sit next to the instructor in the grandstand?
(a) He buys her jewelry.
(b) She is interested in the instructor.
(c) Her mother makes her promise to be nice to him.
(d) She wants people to see her with someone important.
9. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
10. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Hide her money.
(b) Summon death.
(c) Sew a blanket.
(d) Read all her books.
11. What habit of Kate Swift's catches Reverend Curtis' attention one morning as he sits at his desk?
(a) Her drinking.
(b) Her swearing.
(c) Her nail-biting.
(d) Her smoking.
12. How do the people of Winesburg describe Kate?
(a) Very desirable.
(b) An old maid.
(c) An intellectual.
(d) A penny pincher.
13. Why does Elmer take twenty dollars from the store?
(a) To help Mook.
(b) To buy new clothes for Ebenezer.
(c) To pay off George.
(d) To run away.
14. How is Enoch talented?
15. What is Wash's job?
(b) Wash is unemployed.
(c) Telegraph operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helen and Seth go for a walk, how does Helen feel about Seth?
2. What type of friends does Enoch prefer?
3. How does Seth respond to his mother when she scolds him?
4. What does George decide to do the day his mother dies?
5. Why does Tom steal $1.75?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)