|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the drunken stranger do to Tandy when he visits her and Tom one evening?
(a) He kneels and kisses her hands.
(b) He kisses her feet.
(c) He slaps her across the face.
(d) He falls down drunk.
2. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) For her to touch him.
(b) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(c) For her to cry.
(d) For her to give him his money back.
3. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(b) Telegraph operator.
4. At the end of "The Untold Lie", how does Ray feel about the things he tells Hal?
(a) He thinks it's best to stay quiet.
(b) He thinks he has more to say.
(c) He thinks he knows better than Hal.
(d) He thinks they are all lies.
5. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
(a) Not to get beaten down by life.
(b) Not to worry.
(c) Not to marry Nell.
(d) Not to quit his job.
6. Where does Enoch move after he gets married?
(d) New York City.
7. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A truly passionate person.
(c) An old maid.
(d) An instrument of God.
8. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
9. What makes Hal different from Ray?
(a) Hal is married.
(b) Hal is always getting into trouble.
(c) Hal is older than Ray.
(d) Hal hates people.
10. How does Tom feel about being drunk after he sobers up?
(a) He says it is a mistake.
(b) He says he'll do it again tomorrow.
(c) He says he's sorry.
(d) He says it is fun.
11. What does Elizabeth's dad make her promise to not tell Tom about?
(a) The family curse.
(b) The hotel's debt.
(c) Money in a box.
(d) The leaking roof.
12. Why does Enoch lock the woman in his building in his apartment?
(a) He's trying to explain something to her.
(b) He's trying to kiss her.
(c) He has too much to drink.
(d) He wants to slap her.
13. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
(a) They feel insulted.
(b) They feel spiritually moved.
(c) They feel confused.
(d) They feel uninspired.
14. What does Elizabeth do for the last few months of her life?
(a) Sew a blanket.
(b) Summon death.
(c) Hide her money.
(d) Read all her books.
15. What type of work does Seth tell Helen he wants to do?
(a) Work where he is with people.
(b) Work as a great writer like George.
(c) Work where talk doesn't matter.
(d) Work as a berry picker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tandy think of her name?
2. At the end of "Loneliness", what is Enoch whining about after talking to George?
3. Why does Tom decide to get drunk one night?
4. Who says they are a "fool" to marry their wife?
5. How is Enoch talented?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)