|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom's voice like?
(a) Deep and quiet.
(b) High pitched and squeeky.
(c) Loud and abrasive.
(d) Soft and gentle.
2. Where does Wash's wife go after they break up?
(a) To her father's.
(b) To Winesburg.
(c) To her lover's.
(d) To her mother's.
3. Where does Enoch sometimes read?
(a) Walking down the middle of the road.
(b) In trees.
(c) On the hoods of cars.
(d) On neighbor's porches.
4. According to Will Henderson, what does Cowley and Son's store sell?
(a) Everything and nothing.
(b) Not enough stuff.
(c) Things that are too expensive.
(d) The best home goods.
5. When Ray goes to talk to Hal, what does Hal say he is not?
(a) A rich man.
(b) A fool.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A coward.
6. In the story, "Drink," where does Tom move from?
(b) New York City.
7. What makes Hal different from Ray?
(a) Hal is always getting into trouble.
(b) Hal hates people.
(c) Hal is married.
(d) Hal is older than Ray.
8. What is a job Ray wants to do when he is younger?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A musician.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A farmhand.
9. How is Enoch talented?
10. What does George tell Seth he wants to write?
(a) The great American novel.
(b) A love story.
(c) The best article of the year.
(d) A mystery novel.
11. What does Reverend Curtis think his wife denies him of?
12. What does the Reverend call Kate the night he visits George?
(a) An instrument of God.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A truly passionate person.
(d) A distraction.
13. What does Ed Handby do for a living?
(b) Telegraph operator.
14. When George goes to his wife after kicking her out, what does he say it takes for him to forgive her?
(a) Nothing makes him forgive her.
(b) For her to cry.
(c) For her to touch him.
(d) For her to give him his money back.
15. At the end of this story, George is the last person in Winesburg to do what?
(a) Wake up.
(b) Reflect on the Reverend's words.
(c) Understand Kate.
(d) Go to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helen and Seth go for a walk, how does Helen feel about Seth?
2. What does Tandy think of her name?
3. How do the people of Winesburg feel about Reverend Curtis Hartman's sermons?
4. When Ray is buying groceries, what does he tell Hal?
5. What does Tom tell George he wants to experience when he is drinking?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)