|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do for a living?
(b) Standard Oil agent.
(c) Sylvester West's drug store clerk.
2. As time passes, what happens to John and Louise?
(a) They debate moving from Ohio.
(b) They fall deeper in love.
(c) They grow distant.
(d) They start to earn money.
3. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
(a) It makes him cry.
(b) He is filled with guilt.
(c) It doesn't surprise him.
(d) He is happy that David is independent.
4. What does Dr. Reefy ride when he goes house to house?
(a) A chariot.
(b) A white car.
(c) A small donkey.
(d) A white horse.
5. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he is afraid of?
(a) Losing his mind.
(c) Being killed.
(d) Sick people.
6. Who does Joe envy?
(a) George Willard.
(b) Dr. Parcival.
(c) Sarah King.
(d) Sylvester West.
7. What is the name of Tom and Elizabeth's hotel?
(a) Old Willard Place.
(b) The Willard.
(c) New Willard House.
(d) Elizabeth's Rose.
8. What does the writer name his book?
(a) When I Could Not Sleep.
(b) Grotesque Dreams.
(c) The Book of the Grotesque.
(d) The Book of Me.
9. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
(a) The girl gives birth.
(b) The girl loses her money.
(c) The girl dies.
(d) The doctor leaves the girl.
10. When does Dr. Parcival say he prays all night?
(a) When his brother steals.
(b) When he is about to move.
(c) When his mother is ill.
(d) When his father dies.
11. How does Louise act toward her education?
12. Who says they are "too greedy for glory"?
13. What war is the carpenter part of?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Revolutionary War.
(d) World War I.
14. What does Louise do for John Hardy?
(a) She writes him a note.
(b) She bakes him a cake.
(c) She scares his enemies away.
(d) She paints him a picture.
15. What does Tom say "Tom Willard's son" must do?
(a) Date a girl.
(b) Help his mother.
(c) Wake up.
(d) Be a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice join the Winesburg Methodist Church?
2. What does Elizabeth do when she goes in George's room and sits by his desk?
3. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
4. What do the writer and the carpenter have in common?
5. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)