|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom's conversation with George about being successful make Elizabeth want to do?
(a) Send George to college.
(b) Move out of the hotel.
(c) Talk to George herself.
(d) Kill Tom.
2. When Ned can't find work in Cleveland, where does he go?
(a) Back to Winesburg.
(b) New York.
3. How does the writer describe the "truths" he writes about?
4. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
(a) They ignore him for taking up so much space.
(b) They are fearful of what he builds.
(c) They are grateful to help him improve it.
(d) The laugh and hope he loses money.
5. What does Joe tell George and Sarah's father at the Willard house?
(a) To imagine a world without crops.
(b) To imagine a world without grass.
(c) To imagine a world without the ground.
(d) To imagine a world without bees.
6. According to the author, the story of Wing is the story of what?
(a) Small towns.
7. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
(a) A way to quit smoking.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) The people he knows.
(d) His shopping list.
8. Where does George find Louise when he decides to answer her letter?
(a) In the backyard of her father's house.
(b) Picking potatoes at her uncle's.
(c) At the saloon.
(d) In the kitchen of her father's house.
9. What war is the carpenter part of?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
10. Why does Wing leave Pennsylvania?
(a) He gets a new job.
(b) He is driven out of town.
(c) He meets a woman.
(d) He is bored of his life there.
11. What does Alice sometimes do with her blanket?
(a) Hangs it up over his windows.
(b) Makes a figure in her bed.
(c) Covers her head at night.
(d) Hides during the day.
12. When the writer is lying in bed, what does he compare himself to?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A cigar.
(c) A moose.
(d) A pregnant woman.
13. Why is Tom and Elizabeth's hotel losing guests?
(a) Because of Elizabeth's illness.
(b) Because of the cost to stay there.
(c) Because of the hotel's shabbiness.
(d) Because of Tom's temper.
14. How does the town feel about Joe and Sarah?
(a) They are indifferent to it.
(b) They are in awe of it.
(c) They try to break them up.
(d) They are repelled by it.
15. What happens to the writer's book?
(a) It is not published.
(b) It gets published.
(c) He looses the only copy.
(d) He decides to re-write it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe envy?
2. How does Tom describe Elizabeth's figure?
3. What does Louise do for John Hardy?
4. What does Jesse want to use his land for?
5. Why does Dr. Parcival say he does not have many patients?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)