|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As time passes, what happens to John and Louise?
(a) They fall deeper in love.
(b) They debate moving from Ohio.
(c) They start to earn money.
(d) They grow distant.
2. Why does the writer get out of bed and start writing?
(a) It is morning.
(b) He is thinking of the grotesques.
(c) He doesn't sleep anyway.
(d) He is almost done with his novel.
3. How long has Dr. Reefy worn the same clothes?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
4. What changes at the farm once David arrives?
(a) It becomes too crowded.
(b) It becomes happier.
(c) It becomes quieter.
(d) It becomes lonely.
5. What happens during the spring after the tall, dark girl marries Dr. Reefy?
(a) The girl dies.
(b) The girl loses her money.
(c) The girl gives birth.
(d) The doctor leaves the girl.
6. What does Louise do to a farmhand at her family's farm one weekend?
(a) Takes the farmhand's buggy.
(b) Hits the farmhand in anger.
(c) Gets the farmhand fired.
(d) Steals the farmhand's money.
7. Why does Dr. Parcival say he does not have many patients?
(a) Because it is just an accident.
(b) Because he is a poor doctor.
(c) Because there aren't many people in Winesburg.
(d) Because he does not want many.
8. What part of his health concerns the writer?
(a) His legs.
(b) His lungs.
(c) His stomach.
(d) His heart.
9. Who believes you are never be too smart for Sarah?
(b) Sarah's father.
(c) Dr. Parcival.
10. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
(a) Above the saloon.
(b) Below the book bookstore.
(c) Next to the baker.
(d) Above the shoe repair shop.
11. What does the "half-witted boy" of Wing's school do at night?
(a) Imagine dreams as facts.
(b) Make prank phone calls.
(c) Plan a crime.
(d) Draw on his walls.
12. How do the neighbors feel about the swampland Jesse buys?
(a) They are grateful to help him improve it.
(b) They ignore him for taking up so much space.
(c) The laugh and hope he loses money.
(d) They are fearful of what he builds.
13. What happens to the writer's book?
(a) He looses the only copy.
(b) It gets published.
(c) It is not published.
(d) He decides to re-write it.
14. What does Jesse turn to as an explanation for everything?
(a) Farming magazines.
(b) The opinions of his father.
(c) The hand of God.
(d) The opinions of his wife.
15. What does Dr. Parcival tell George he does for a living?
(b) He doesn't have to work before this.
(c) Newspaper reporter.
(d) Professional thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George say he has set forth upon when he goes to find Louise?
2. How does George feel at the end of the story when he is at the drug store?
3. When does Dr. Parcival say he prays all night?
4. What body part does Wing use to help him talk?
5. Where does George work?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)