|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer name his book?
(a) The Book of Me.
(b) When I Could Not Sleep.
(c) The Book of the Grotesque.
(d) Grotesque Dreams.
2. What color does the Big Four paint its stations?
3. What does Wing do before he cries in front of George?
(a) He yells at George.
(b) He drops his strawberries.
(c) He admits to being a thief.
(d) He puts his hands in his pockets.
4. Who tells David a joke every morning?
(c) His aunt.
(d) A farmhand.
5. What changes at the farm once David arrives?
(a) It becomes too crowded.
(b) It becomes quieter.
(c) It becomes lonely.
(d) It becomes happier.
6. What does Louise do for John Hardy?
(a) She paints him a picture.
(b) She bakes him a cake.
(c) She scares his enemies away.
(d) She writes him a note.
7. What does Henry Bradford do to Wing one afternoon at the schoolhouse?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Threaten his family.
(c) Offer him a ride out of town.
(d) Give him money.
8. How does Louise Bently describe her relationship with Jesse's farm?
9. Where does Dr. Parcival live?
(a) Below the book bookstore.
(b) Above the saloon.
(c) Next to the baker.
(d) Above the shoe repair shop.
10. What does the author say makes it difficult for people to understand Jesse?
(b) The farm is lost.
(c) Different Bible translations.
(d) His hand writing.
11. What does Dr. Parcival always wear?
(a) A yellow jacket.
(b) A dirty hat.
(c) A dirty white waistcoat.
(d) A pair of dingy brown shoes.
12. Why does a carpenter come to the writer's house?
(a) To raise his bed.
(b) To fix his window.
(c) To build a shelf.
(d) To install a new floor.
13. Why does Alice join the Winesburg Methodist Church?
(a) Because she has a crush on Will.
(b) Because she thinks she sins.
(c) Because she is lonely.
(d) Because she wants to find God.
14. What does Wing do for a living?
(a) Build porches.
(b) Coach football.
(c) Pick strawberries.
(d) He is unemployed.
15. What does Louise do to a farmhand at her family's farm one weekend?
(a) Takes the farmhand's buggy.
(b) Gets the farmhand fired.
(c) Steals the farmhand's money.
(d) Hits the farmhand in anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the danger of the writer's subject matter?
2. Who does Alice Hindman live with?
3. Where does Dr. Parcival move from?
4. What does the writer think about as he lies in his bed?
5. How does Jesse feel about David's disappearance at the end of this story?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)