|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Janice tend after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
2. Why is Victor transferred from the Tuscaloosa to the Augusta?
3. Where is Byron when the Devilfish sinks?
4. What does Aaron receive in Part 3?
5. According to Roosevelt, why are the British unable to assist the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
2. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
3. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
4. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
5. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
6. How does Byron motivate Roosevelt to intervene on behalf of Natalie and Aaron?
7. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
8. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
9. What bribe is Victor offered?
10. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use characterization to develop relationships in the novel? How are major characters developed? What is the purpose of the minor characters?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in the novel? How is Roon's book used to foreshadow information that cannot be gleaned from the action? How do Victor's footnotes affect the reader's perception of key characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the affect anti-Semitism has on the characters in the novel. How does discrimination against Jews affect relationships in the novel? What civil liberties are suppressed as a direct result of anti-Semitism? How does anti-Semitism affect the motives of the characters?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)