|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regret does Natalie have after her father's death?
2. What nickname do the British pilots give Victor?
3. What major military move does Roon defend in Part 3?
4. What type of training does Victor want Byron to have?
5. With whom is Rhoda having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
2. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
3. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
4. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
5. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
6. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
7. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
8. How does Byron adapt to military life?
9. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
10. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence does social class have on the characters in the novel? How does the war affect social class? What risks are characters willing to take to preserve or gain social status?
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is propaganda used in the novel? How are propaganda programs implemented? What non-media propaganda exists and how is it used in the novel?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)