|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Natalie send Byron in a telegram in Part 3?
2. What does Janice see flying over Pearl Harbor?
3. What concern about British pilots does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor?
4. Who does Byron see kissing Madeline in Part 3?
5. What major military move does Roon defend in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
2. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
3. What mission sends Victor to Italy?
4. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
5. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
6. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
7. What is the importance of the sinking of the Bismarck?
8. How does Natalie's plan to help Aaron with his passport troubles anger Byron?
9. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
10. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the great tragedy of the novel? Describe how the minor crises of the characters combine to form a greater grief for mankind. What revelation does the novel's tragedy impart to the readers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of love is expressed in the novel. Do the characters equate marriage with love? What risks are the characters willing to take in the name of love and how does this emotion affect their actions?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)