|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Natalie send Byron in a telegram in Part 3?
2. Who invites Palmer to dinner in Part 3?
3. What name is given to Victor's grandson?
4. Why is Byron angry with Natalie's plans to go to Washington?
5. Where is Victor ordered to go after the Memorial Day parade?
Essay Topic 1
What is the great tragedy of the novel? Describe how the minor crises of the characters combine to form a greater grief for mankind. What revelation does the novel's tragedy impart to the readers?
Essay Topic 2
What types of conflict are expressed in the novel? How does the author build conflict? How do minor conflicts relate to the major conflict of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)