|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to assist Natalie in Italy with the red tape that is preventing Aaron from leaving Italy?
2. Who is Sewell Bozeman?
3. Who does General Armin von Roon converse with after Stroller's dinner party while other men are hunting deer?
4. Which character agrees to go with Natalie to Siena and help Aaron?
5. Who invites Palmer to dinner in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
2. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
3. What project does Victor undertake with 35 surplus Navy planes?
4. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
5. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
6. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
7. What bribe is Victor offered?
8. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
9. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
10. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the great tragedy of the novel? Describe how the minor crises of the characters combine to form a greater grief for mankind. What revelation does the novel's tragedy impart to the readers?
Essay Topic 2
How are demonstrations, or protests, used in the novel? Why do some characters choose to protest while others remain silent? Describe how some characters use demonstration to protest for other characters.
Essay Topic 3
How is propaganda used in the novel? How are propaganda programs implemented? What non-media propaganda exists and how is it used in the novel?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)