|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father?
2. Who is Luigi Gianelli scheduled to meet in Rome?
3. What news does Rhoda send Victor in a letter in Part 3?
4. Where is Victor ordered to go after the Memorial Day parade?
5. What does Leslie Slote ask Natalie in a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
2. Describe the unique dinner party hosted by Wolf Stoller.
3. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
4. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
5. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
6. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
7. What is the importance of the sinking of the Bismarck?
8. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
9. What new technology does E.J. Tillet share with Victor?
10. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of historical fiction. How does the genre limit dialogue, setting and action? What historically accurate persons, events and social conditions are present in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrasts between the antagonist and protagonist of the novel. What type of character does the protagonist exhibit? How does the author define the antagonist? How do these characters affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)