|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guests proceed to dinner at Wolf Stroller's dinner party?
2. To what does General Roon equate the German's treatment of the Jews?
3. Where do the Germans attack after the Normandy invasion?
4. Who is Carter Aster?
5. What does Victor whimsically ask to buy from E.J. Tillet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
2. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
3. What bribe is Victor offered?
4. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
5. How does Natalie's plan to help Aaron with his passport troubles anger Byron?
6. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
7. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
8. How does Byron motivate Roosevelt to intervene on behalf of Natalie and Aaron?
9. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
10. What is the importance of the sinking of the Bismarck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how characters are tempted in the novel. What choices do some characters make that allow them to be tempted? What risks do they allow themselves to face and what are the results of their temptations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of love is expressed in the novel. Do the characters equate marriage with love? What risks are the characters willing to take in the name of love and how does this emotion affect their actions?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)