|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sewell Bozeman's nickname?
2. Who meets Victor at the Memorial Day parade?
3. Which prisoner of war does Victor visit while in Berlin?
4. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father?
5. Which character does Janice tend after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
2. How does Byron motivate Roosevelt to intervene on behalf of Natalie and Aaron?
3. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
4. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
5. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
6. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
7. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
8. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
9. What is the importance of the sinking of the Bismarck?
10. What mission sends Victor to Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence does social class have on the characters in the novel? How does the war affect social class? What risks are characters willing to take to preserve or gain social status?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters find and fulfill their purposes? Compare the emotional fulfillment of characters who have viable purposes with those who are merely seeking to survive. What risks are the characters willing to face in order to have a fulfilling purpose in life?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)