|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Victor assigned to do with thirty-five surplus Navy planes?
2. To what does General Roon equate the German's treatment of the Jews?
3. What does Victor whimsically ask to buy from E.J. Tillet?
4. To whom is Warren engaged?
5. What does Victor learn in a letter after he completes his British bomber mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
2. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
3. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
4. How does Byron motivate Roosevelt to intervene on behalf of Natalie and Aaron?
5. What mission sends Victor to Italy?
6. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
7. Describe the unique dinner party hosted by Wolf Stoller.
8. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
9. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
10. How does Natalie's plan to help Aaron with his passport troubles anger Byron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use characterization to develop relationships in the novel? How are major characters developed? What is the purpose of the minor characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of love is expressed in the novel. Do the characters equate marriage with love? What risks are the characters willing to take in the name of love and how does this emotion affect their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the affect anti-Semitism has on the characters in the novel. How does discrimination against Jews affect relationships in the novel? What civil liberties are suppressed as a direct result of anti-Semitism? How does anti-Semitism affect the motives of the characters?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)