|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Victor told to send the thirty-five surplus Navy planes?
2. Who sends the message, "Eat Hearty, more coming, Mother Hubbard"?
3. To whom is Warren engaged?
4. What do Natalie and Byron plan to do on his three days of shore leave?
5. What type of training does Victor want Byron to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
2. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
3. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
4. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
5. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
6. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
7. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
8. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
9. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
10. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use characterization to develop relationships in the novel? How are major characters developed? What is the purpose of the minor characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)