|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which German attempts to bribe Victor?
2. Why is Byron angry with Natalie's plans to go to Washington?
3. In what activity does Winston Churchill ask Victor to take part?
4. Who is Teddy Gallard?
5. What does Aaron receive in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
2. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
3. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
4. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
5. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
6. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
7. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
8. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
9. What new technology does E.J. Tillet share with Victor?
10. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does technology affect the action in the novel? What factors drive invention and how is new technology used? What is the importance of the cavity magnetron and the U-boat?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in the novel? How is Roon's book used to foreshadow information that cannot be gleaned from the action? How do Victor's footnotes affect the reader's perception of key characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of historical fiction. How does the genre limit dialogue, setting and action? What historically accurate persons, events and social conditions are present in the novel?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)