|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to help Natalie in America with the red tape that is preventing Aaron from leaving Italy?
2. Who is Sumner Welles?
3. To whom is Warren engaged?
4. Why is Berel Jastrow living in Russia in Part 3?
5. What major military move does Roon defend in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
2. What project does Victor undertake with 35 surplus Navy planes?
3. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
4. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
5. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
6. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
7. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
8. What bribe is Victor offered?
9. How does Byron adapt to military life?
10. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence does social class have on the characters in the novel? How does the war affect social class? What risks are characters willing to take to preserve or gain social status?
Essay Topic 2
How are demonstrations, or protests, used in the novel? Why do some characters choose to protest while others remain silent? Describe how some characters use demonstration to protest for other characters.
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in the novel? How is Roon's book used to foreshadow information that cannot be gleaned from the action? How do Victor's footnotes affect the reader's perception of key characters?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)