|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Victor told to send the thirty-five surplus Navy planes?
2. Why is Byron angry with Natalie's plans to go to Washington?
3. What does E.J. Tillet show Victor?
4. Where is Teddy Gallard stationed?
5. What does Victor learn in a letter after he completes his British bomber mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bribe is Victor offered?
2. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
3. Describe the unique dinner party hosted by Wolf Stoller.
4. How does Byron adapt to military life?
5. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
6. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
7. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
8. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
9. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
10. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of love is expressed in the novel. Do the characters equate marriage with love? What risks are the characters willing to take in the name of love and how does this emotion affect their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how characters are tempted in the novel. What choices do some characters make that allow them to be tempted? What risks do they allow themselves to face and what are the results of their temptations?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)