|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is being held in a private cell in Germany?
2. According to Roon, why was Germany unsuccessful in its air attacks against Britain?
3. In 1941, what news does Natalie send Byron in a letter?
4. To whom is Warren engaged?
5. Where is Victor ordered to go after the Memorial Day parade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Berel Jastrow move to Russia?
2. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
3. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
4. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
5. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
6. Describe the unique dinner party hosted by Wolf Stoller.
7. How does Byron adapt to military life?
8. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
9. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
10. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What types of conflict are expressed in the novel? How does the author build conflict? How do minor conflicts relate to the major conflict of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is propaganda used in the novel? How are propaganda programs implemented? What non-media propaganda exists and how is it used in the novel?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)