|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Victor asked to accompany the President on a brief trip?
2. Where do the Germans attack after the Normandy invasion?
3. Who does Victor meet in Guam?
4. Who does the President send on a mission to the North Atlantic?
5. Who invites Palmer to dinner in Part 3?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the themes of loyalty, bravery and heroism are used in the novel. Which characters demonstrate all of these qualities and what motivates them to exhibit these characteristics? How do these characters affect those around them?
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters find and fulfill their purposes? Compare the emotional fulfillment of characters who have viable purposes with those who are merely seeking to survive. What risks are the characters willing to face in order to have a fulfilling purpose in life?
Essay Topic 3
How does technology affect the action in the novel? What factors drive invention and how is new technology used? What is the importance of the cavity magnetron and the U-boat?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)