|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Natalie leave Switzerland and return to Rome?
2. Who is Luigi Gianelli scheduled to meet in Rome?
3. What does Leslie Slote ask Natalie in a letter?
4. Who is Victor ordered to escort to the Memorial Day parade?
5. What submarine is Byron posted on in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
2. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
3. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
4. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
5. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
6. What explanation does Armin von Roon give for the failed German air campaign against the British?
7. Describe the unique dinner party hosted by Wolf Stoller.
8. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
9. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
10. What fears does Teddy Gallard discuss with Victor and Pamela?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of love is expressed in the novel. Do the characters equate marriage with love? What risks are the characters willing to take in the name of love and how does this emotion affect their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrasts between the antagonist and protagonist of the novel. What type of character does the protagonist exhibit? How does the author define the antagonist? How do these characters affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)