|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Victor ordered to escort to the Memorial Day parade?
2. Why does Byron live with Aaron when he returns to work for him in Italy?
3. Who does Aaron request that Natalie contact in Chapter 26?
4. With whom is Rhoda having an affair?
5. Who meets Victor at the Memorial Day parade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
2. How does Victor react to Roosevelt's response to the sinking of the Bismarck?
3. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
4. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
5. What bribe is Victor offered?
6. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
7. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
8. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
9. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
10. How does Palmer Kirby affect Rhoda's relationship with Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the affect anti-Semitism has on the characters in the novel. How does discrimination against Jews affect relationships in the novel? What civil liberties are suppressed as a direct result of anti-Semitism? How does anti-Semitism affect the motives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How are demonstrations, or protests, used in the novel? Why do some characters choose to protest while others remain silent? Describe how some characters use demonstration to protest for other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism of Aaron's passport. Compare his initial reaction to the inconvenience his passport causes to the desperation with which later he strives for its renewal. What does Natalie's willingness to help Aaron symbolize? What does the passport symbolize to both Jewish and American characters?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)