|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Victor, what would Americans rather expend in war?
2. Who agrees to help Natalie in America with the red tape that is preventing Aaron from leaving Italy?
3. What does Leslie Slote ask Natalie in a letter?
4. What does Victor learn in a letter after he completes his British bomber mission?
5. Why is Berel Jastrow living in Russia in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
2. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
3. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
4. What mission sends Victor to Italy?
5. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
6. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
7. Why is Teddy Gallard moved to a private cell?
8. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
9. What caution does E.J. Tillet give Victor about American neutrality?
10. What bribe is Victor offered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use characterization to develop relationships in the novel? How are major characters developed? What is the purpose of the minor characters?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters find and fulfill their purposes? Compare the emotional fulfillment of characters who have viable purposes with those who are merely seeking to survive. What risks are the characters willing to face in order to have a fulfilling purpose in life?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)