|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Germans attack after the Normandy invasion?
2. To whom does Victor declare his love while away from home?
3. Why is Aaron unable to leave Italy?
4. Why doesn't General Roon attend the hunt after Stroller's dinner party?
5. What news does Natalie send Byron in a telegram in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
2. How does Byron adapt to military life?
3. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
4. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
5. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
6. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
7. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father's house?
8. What bribe is Victor offered?
9. What project does Victor undertake with 35 surplus Navy planes?
10. What new technology does E.J. Tillet share with Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in the novel? How is Roon's book used to foreshadow information that cannot be gleaned from the action? How do Victor's footnotes affect the reader's perception of key characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how characters are tempted in the novel. What choices do some characters make that allow them to be tempted? What risks do they allow themselves to face and what are the results of their temptations?
Essay Topic 3
What influence does social class have on the characters in the novel? How does the war affect social class? What risks are characters willing to take to preserve or gain social status?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)