|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is being held in a private cell in Germany?
2. Which German attempts to bribe Victor?
3. Where is Byron when the Devilfish sinks?
4. Why doesn't General Roon attend the hunt after Stroller's dinner party?
5. Why does Natalie return home to her mother and father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission does Winston Churchill invite Victor to join?
2. Why do Warren and Janice move their wedding date?
3. How is the Henry family affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
4. What new technology does E.J. Tillet share with Victor?
5. How does Byron adapt to military life?
6. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
7. Why is Victor assigned to escort an elderly veteran to a Memorial Day parade?
8. What bribe is Victor offered?
9. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
10. What analogy does Armin von Roon and other Germans make for Victor to justify the German's treatment of the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use characterization to develop relationships in the novel? How are major characters developed? What is the purpose of the minor characters?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)