|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor whimsically ask to buy from E.J. Tillet?
2. Why is Victor asked to accompany the President on a brief trip?
3. What does Byron want Victor to ask the President?
4. What news does Natalie send Byron in a telegram in Part 3?
5. Why is Victor transferred from the Tuscaloosa to the Augusta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Natalie's plan to help Aaron with his passport troubles anger Byron?
2. What difficulty does Aaron have with his passport?
3. Why is Natalie forced to give birth to her son in Europe?
4. What new technology does E.J. Tillet share with Victor?
5. What concern does Warren have over Madeline's relationship with Bozey?
6. How does Byron motivate Roosevelt to intervene on behalf of Natalie and Aaron?
7. How does Pamela affect Victor's relationship with Rhoda?
8. How does Byron adapt to military life?
9. What difficulty does Roosevelt face when considering how to help the British defend themselves against the Germans?
10. Why does Rhoda end her relationship with Palmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the themes of loyalty, bravery and heroism are used in the novel. Which characters demonstrate all of these qualities and what motivates them to exhibit these characteristics? How do these characters affect those around them?
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of intrigue and suspense used in the novel? Which characters and events are defined by the use of intrigue and suspense? How is suspense used to affect the mood of the novel? How is intrigue used to further the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What types of conflict are expressed in the novel? How does the author build conflict? How do minor conflicts relate to the major conflict of the novel?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)