|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translates "World Empire Lost"?
2. Where does Madeline find a job?
3. What game do Victor and Warren play together after their dinner with Congressman Lacouture?
4. Why does Byron hesitate to travel to Warsaw with Natalie?
5. According to Grobke, which leader is "getting lousy advice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Victor, Rhoda, Byron and Palmer offend a German waiter?
2. What secret treaty existed between Hitler and Stalin?
3. Describe Victor and Rhoda's first voyage to Berlin.
4. Describe the tour on which Grobke escorts Victor.
5. Describe Aaron Jastrow.
6. How do Natalie and Byron escape Warsaw?
7. Describe Byron.
8. Why do Natalie and Byron travel to Italy?
9. What do Rhoda and Hitler discuss?
10. How does Pamela succeed in secretly demeaning Hitler in front of Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how characters are tempted in the novel. What choices do some characters make that allow them to be tempted? What risks do they allow themselves to face and what are the results of their temptations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism of Aaron's passport. Compare his initial reaction to the inconvenience his passport causes to the desperation with which later he strives for its renewal. What does Natalie's willingness to help Aaron symbolize? What does the passport symbolize to both Jewish and American characters?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)