|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Germans agree to a two-hour cease fire?
2. What is Alistair Tudsbury's nickname?
3. Who is Pamela?
4. Who invites Victor to visit a German military base?
5. According to Kip Tollever, what prompted German violence toward Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Byron and Natalie escape Italy?
2. What differences does Victor see between the European and American perspectives of Hitler and the war?
3. How does Rhoda's attitude towards Jews change as she settles into Berlin society?
4. Describe Victor and Rhoda's first voyage to Berlin.
5. How do Natalie and Byron escape Warsaw?
6. What does Victor mean when he tells Warren that Byron will "crawl out of the rubble with someone's gold watch"?
7. What belief does Armin von Roon have about England's military ability?
8. What is the purpose of the book, "World Empire Lost"?
9. Describe Warren.
10. Why does Grobke invite Victor to meet his daughter and grandchildren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is propaganda used in the novel? How are propaganda programs implemented? What non-media propaganda exists and how is it used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What types of conflict are expressed in the novel? How does the author build conflict? How do minor conflicts relate to the major conflict of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the conflict in Europe shatter the innocence of some characters? What effect does loss of innocence have on the characters? What lessons do the characters learn as they mature and become aware of the harsh realities of the world?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)