|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time do Digger Brown and Victor attempt to call Rhoda in Berlin?
2. Who is Pamela?
3. Who does Victor meet in the library while sailing to Germany?
4. According to Roon, how long did Hitler serve as a soldier?
5. Who does Madeline live with while Victor is in Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the airports in Warsaw crowded when Natalie and Byron arrive?
2. Describe Hugh Cleveland and Madeline Henry's relationship.
3. Why does Leslie Slote advise Natalie against traveling to Warsaw?
4. Describe Aaron Jastrow.
5. How does Pamela succeed in secretly demeaning Hitler in front of Germans?
6. What secret treaty existed between Hitler and Stalin?
7. How does Byron protect Hartley from the Germans?
8. Why does Grobke invite Victor to meet his daughter and grandchildren?
9. Why do Natalie and Byron travel to Italy?
10. How does Rhoda's attitude towards Jews change as she settles into Berlin society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is propaganda used in the novel? How are propaganda programs implemented? What non-media propaganda exists and how is it used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different perspectives that characters have of the conflict based on their nationality. Which perspectives are predominant in the novel? What role does perspective play in motivating the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What influence does social class have on the characters in the novel? How does the war affect social class? What risks are characters willing to take to preserve or gain social status?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)