|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is played immediately after the announcement that Warsaw has fallen to the Germans?
2. What does Admirable Preble do with Victor's memo?
3. According to Kip Tollever, what prompted German violence toward Jews?
4. According to Roon, if Hitler had won the war, for what crime would the British have been tried?
5. What is Pamela's nickname for Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does Victor see between the European and American perspectives of Hitler and the war?
2. How do Natalie and Byron spend their time while they are trapped in Warsaw?
3. What do Rhoda and Hitler discuss?
4. Why are the airports in Warsaw crowded when Natalie and Byron arrive?
5. What quandary does Victor have about accepting his assignment to Berlin?
6. Why does Talky believe that Hitler is not preparing for war?
7. Why do Natalie and Byron travel to Italy?
8. How do Victor, Rhoda, Byron and Palmer offend a German waiter?
9. How does Byron protect Hartley from the Germans?
10. What belief does Armin von Roon have about England's military ability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does technology affect the action in the novel? What factors drive invention and how is new technology used? What is the importance of the cavity magnetron and the U-boat?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in the novel? How is Roon's book used to foreshadow information that cannot be gleaned from the action? How do Victor's footnotes affect the reader's perception of key characters?
Essay Topic 3
What types of conflict are expressed in the novel? How does the author build conflict? How do minor conflicts relate to the major conflict of the novel?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)