|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the desert men feel after taking air tours over France?
2. What did Antoine feel under the table while eating with the two girls?
3. According to Antoine, what do silly men have to do to make girls think they are charming?
4. What does Antoine say an Army Sergeant does first when he wakes during war?
5. What does Antoine compare Madrid to while he and Pepin watched it being bombed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Prevot comfort when the water ran out in the desert?
2. What does Antoine say dies when a man is killed?
3. To what does Antoine compare himself at the end of the book?
4. What caused Antoine to crash land in the desert?
5. To what does Antoine compare the sergeant who reluctantly joined the war?
6. How did Mohammed differ from the other slaves Antoine had seen in the desert?
7. How does Antoine start his chapter about oases?
8. What made Antoine know his survival in the desert was worth the effort?
9. What are some of the more violent examples Antoine gives of men's need to unite?
10. What does Antoine say a human soul remembers after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme. What parts of the book embody this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between fear and courage is presented a number of times in Antoine's travels and experiences. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How does the combination of these terms affect the feeling of this narrative?
Essay Topic 3
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the people belonging to them?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)