|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antoine think most young girls dream about?
2. What did Antoine use to collect the dew after his crash landing?
3. For what trait are the Moorish best known?
4. Where was Antoine headed when he crash landed in the desert?
5. What sound did Antoine hear just before he was rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the sergeant that Antoine met to join the war?
2. How has the need for labor changed the people on the train?
3. How did the Moorish men feel when they saw the waterfall in France?
4. What are some of the more violent examples Antoine gives of men's need to unite?
5. What does Antoine say dies when a man is killed?
6. How does Antoine describe the house the two girls from Paraguay lived in?
7. To what does Antoine compare the sergeant who reluctantly joined the war?
8. What happened to slaves in the desert who were unable to serve?
9. Why does Antoine say the killing in war is ironic?
10. How did Antoine and Prevot react when they met a caravan after their crash landing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antoine believes strongly in the power of unity. How does he present this idea, and why? What does he think unity can truly bring about in the world, and is this really possible?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Guillaumet, and how did his life and career choices affect Antoine's life? Why was he so influential on Antoine?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Antoine in this story. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)