|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Antoine to think he was going mad after his crash landing?
2. What kind of men does Antoine think are shot the most blatantly during war?
3. What was most surprising to the desert men who took air tours of France?
4. How did two girls disappear and reappear while in the building Antoine stayed in when he saw his first oasis?
5. According to Antoine, what kind of world is the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoine say dies when a man is killed?
2. What caused the sergeant that Antoine met to join the war?
3. What does Antoine think happened to the girls since he last saw them?
4. What did Antoine do for Bark before he left the desert?
5. What are some of the more violent examples Antoine gives of men's need to unite?
6. How does Antoine describe the child he sees on the train?
7. How does Antoine describe the house the two girls from Paraguay lived in?
8. How did Antoine and his mechanic feel as the journey to Saigon began?
9. How has the need for labor changed the people on the train?
10. What made Antoine know his survival in the desert was worth the effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a strong and controversial idea in this book. How is this controversial idea presented, and what are some of the differing views?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme. What parts of the book embody this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of places and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)