|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Antoine use repeatedly to describe a well-designed plane?
2. Where did the majority of Antoine's route lie?
3. To what did Antoine's flying partner pray for guidance?
4. With what part of his body did Antoine lose communication during the natural disaster?
5. What view does Antoine think he is stealing when he is flying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confused Antoine about people who visit Chile?
2. What does Antoine say about women when he landed in Punta Arenas?
3. How did Joseph Conrad describe the storm in which he was caught?
4. Why do some people think machines have caused the loss of important morals and values in society?
5. What did a communication from Casablanca tell Antoine while he is lost that brings him comfort?
6. Where did Antoine fly between when he first became a pilot?
7. To what does Antoine compare himself when his plane dropped down without any control from him?
8. What did Antoine think as he boarded the bus heading to his first day of flying?
9. How long did Guillaumet go without sleeping while he was stranded and why?
10. What important skill did Mermoz teach Antoine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is an autobiographical history of a real pilot. How does the truthfulness of the narrative change the feeling and progression of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Antoine believes strongly in the power of unity. How does he present this idea, and why? What does he think unity can truly bring about in the world, and is this really possible?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between fear and courage is presented a number of times in Antoine's travels and experiences. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How does the combination of these terms affect the feeling of this narrative?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)