|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Antoine about some people who visit Chile?
2. At what was Mermoz an expert?
3. How did one of Antoine's friends die while in the Sahara?
4. What did Earth symbolize to Antoine as a pilot?
5. What did Antoine want the person in his dreams to call him when she heard of his adventures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important skill did Mermoz teach Antoine?
2. How did Joseph Conrad describe the storm in which he was caught?
3. What did Guillaumet say to Antoine in their first conversation together?
4. What did Antoine think as he boarded the bus heading to his first day of flying?
5. How did Guillaumet get stranded in the first place?
6. What does Antoine say happens to people when they fly above the Earth?
7. Why does Antoine say society is heading towards the machine?
8. How long did Guillaumet go without sleeping while he was stranded and why?
9. What did a communication from Casablanca tell Antoine while he is lost that brings him comfort?
10. To what does Antoine compare himself when his plane dropped down without any control from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of people in this book. Which of these people were most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear was manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected Antoine a number of times. What are some of these instances, what caused these feelings of despair, and how was Antoine able to overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme. What parts of the book embody this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the people involved?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)