|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will groundbreaking machines fade into with time?
2. What was the name of Antoine's flying partner the first time Antoine got lost?
3. What did people during Antoine's age say machines were doing to the human race?
4. What does Antoine say he sounds like when describing his experience with a natural disaster?
5. Where did Antoine land after the natural disaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Antoine fly between when he first became a pilot?
2. What does Antoine say is his favorite part of all the new machines in society?
3. What confused Antoine about people who visit Chile?
4. To what does Antoine compare himself when his plane dropped down without any control from him?
5. What does Antoine say about women when he landed in Punta Arenas?
6. How was Guillaumet found when he was stranded?
7. On what does Antoine blame the decline in moral values?
8. Why does Antoine say society is heading towards the machine?
9. What did Antoine notice about the sky just before the typhoon?
10. How did Antoine feel about his housekeeper as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Antoine in this story. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Antoine believes strongly in the power of unity. How does he present this idea, and why? What does he think unity can truly bring about in the world, and is this really possible?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme. What parts of the book embody this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the people involved?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)