|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How should a pilot be able to use a well-designed plane?
(a) Like a bit of his own thought process.
(b) Like a thin rapier.
(c) Like an extension of his body.
(d) Like a powerful tool.
2. To what did Antoine's flying partner pray for guidance?
(a) The Stars.
(b) The Earth.
(c) The Moon.
(d) The Sun.
3. What does Antoine say he sounds like when describing his experience with a natural disaster?
(a) A scientist.
(b) An old man.
(c) An omniscient being.
(d) A little boy.
4. What holiday did Antoine feel he was celebrating when he was in the Sahara with some pilots?
(b) Valentine's Day.
(d) New Year's.
5. Which of the following is NOT something that Antoine says that machines help people to do?
6. What caused Antoine to want to stop fighting against the natural disaster?
7. What confuses Antoine about some people who visit Chile?
(a) That one day can be enough.
(b) That they can leave without changing at all.
(c) That they can find something worth returning to.
(d) That they are ever willing to leave.
8. What was Guillaumet's occupation?
9. To what does Antoine compare a well designed plane?
(a) The human body.
(b) The balloon.
(c) A bird.
(d) A good helmet.
10. How does Antoine describe women in general?
(a) Beautiful and strange.
(b) Utterly tragic.
(d) Half divine.
11. What does Antoine think the strange rocks are that he found in the place he thinks no other human had been?
(b) A new and strange gem.
(c) Lava flows.
(d) Ancient ruins.
12. What mountains were visible when Antoine experienced his natural disaster?
13. In which desert did Antoine have his important dream?
(a) Death Valley.
14. At what was Mermoz an expert?
(a) Flying through uncharted territory.
(b) Teaching emergency preparedness.
(c) Identifying risks from miles away.
(d) Making new types of plane engines.
15. What was the name of Antoine's flying partner the first time Antoine got lost?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Antoine, what shaped his character the most?
2. According to Antoine, what made him such good friends with his fellow pilots?
3. What filled the house in Antoine's dream in the desert?
4. To what does Antoine compare himself when he describes the sudden descent of his plane?
5. How does Antoine describe the lives of men who did not fly planes?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)