|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rat wants Toad to keep out of:
2. Toad is in prison for stealing which of the following?
3. What does the barge-woman ask Toad to do?
4. What does Badger ask Mole to do after the attack is over?
5. What do the animals eat after the attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toad get a ride on the train?
2. What does Toad do when he's alone in his room?
3. What does Toad find especially difficult about escaping from prison?
4. From the horse's point of view, is he better or worse in his new situation?
5. How is Portly persuaded to return home?
6. Would Water Rat have liked a life at sea?
7. Do you think that the plan to sneak into Toad Hall will succeed? What might go wrong?
8. Why did stoats and weasels invade Toad Hall?
9. Why is the gaoler's daughter taking care of Toad?
10. What bargain does Toad make with the gypsy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the real characteristics of the animals portrayed in this story similar to their human-like characters? Write a paper comparing one of the major characters to his real-life animal.
Essay Topic 2
Research the author's biography. What experiences or people might have inspire Kenneth Grahame to write A Wind in the Willows?
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of the Sea Rat in this story? Write an essay describing his character and relationship to the theme of adventure vs. home.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)