|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is this chapter set in?
2. What is the name of Otter's son?
3. What does Toad think of himself?
4. Who chases after the train with Toad in it?
5. What does Toad end up falling into during the chase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did stoats and weasels invade Toad Hall?
2. How did Mole and Badger show loyalty to Toad?
3. What do Badger and the others hear the weasels doing as they approach?
4. How does the barge woman know that Toad is a fake?
5. Why does Badger threaten to leave Toad out of the attack on Toad Hall?
6. In what ways are Water Rat and Sea Rat different?
7. How does Toad get a ride on the train?
8. From the horse's point of view, is he better or worse in his new situation?
9. How does Water Rat know that fall is coming?
10. How is Portly persuaded to return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Kenneth Grahame use characters that animals with human characteristics? Answer this question in an essay. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What theme recurs in Toad's adventures? Write an essay describing how Toad's adventures relate to his major character traits.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Kenneth Grahame's use of language to a more modern writer. How are they different? Which one is more interesting or satisfying for the reader?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)