|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toad sing about after breakfast?
2. Where does Toad's disguise come from?
3. What brushes Toad on the shoulder?
4. Where is Otter watching for his son while Mole and Rat search?
5. Which article of clothing does Toad lose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Rat home when Mole got back to their house?
2. Why was Otter so worried about his son?
3. How does the barge woman know that Toad is a fake?
4. What does Toad find especially difficult about escaping from prison?
5. How did Mole and Badger show loyalty to Toad?
6. Why does Badger threaten to leave Toad out of the attack on Toad Hall?
7. What bargain does Toad make with the gypsy?
8. How does Toad get a ride on the train?
9. From the horse's point of view, is he better or worse in his new situation?
10. How is Portly persuaded to return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of the Sea Rat in this story? Write an essay describing his character and relationship to the theme of adventure vs. home.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kenneth Grahame use characters that animals with human characteristics? Answer this question in an essay. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Kenneth Grahame's use of language to a more modern writer. How are they different? Which one is more interesting or satisfying for the reader?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)