|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toad asks for a ride. Where does Toad want to go?
2. What does Rat gather before the attack on Toad Hall?
3. After returning from Otter's, Rat reports:
4. Which of the following did Mole and Rat visit in their quest?
5. Who shoots at Toad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toad do when he's alone in his room?
2. How does Water Rat know that fall is coming?
3. How does Toad get a ride on the train?
4. Why was Otter so worried about his son?
5. Why does Toad collapse in the middle of the road?
6. Why does Badger threaten to leave Toad out of the attack on Toad Hall?
7. Would Water Rat have liked a life at sea?
8. Why did stoats and weasels invade Toad Hall?
9. What does Toad find especially difficult about escaping from prison?
10. How does the barge woman know that Toad is a fake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of the Sea Rat in this story? Write an essay describing his character and relationship to the theme of adventure vs. home.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character of Mole in this story. What purpose does he serve in the book? How would you describe him? What makes him unique as a character?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Mr. Toad, Badger, Rat, and Mole attempt to save Toad from his own behavior. Write about this event and its outcome. Were the friends right to interfere? Would the outcome have been different if they had simply let Toad indulge his obsession? Support your opinion with examples from the text.
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)