|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mole and Rat do their exploring with?
2. What does Mole fall in love with "at first sight?"
3. What tactic does Badger try first with Toad?
4. Where did Mole cut himself?
5. What mode of transportation does Rat use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Mole make at the end of this chapter?
2. Why does Mole leave his home in this chapter?
3. How does Toad escape from his room?
4. How does Mole get across the river?
5. What were the crimes that Toad committed, according to the court?
6. Why isn't Toad unhappy when the expedition ends?
7. Why is it unusual for Badger to visit Rat and Mole?
8. Why does Rat give money to one of the field mice?
9. How is it that Mr. Badger has such a large home?
10. How does Mole react to being in the open air after leaving his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of the Sea Rat in this story? Write an essay describing his character and relationship to the theme of adventure vs. home.
Essay Topic 2
What was the main cause of Toad's reformation? Was it regard for his friends, or his experiences. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Did Toad deserve the terrible experience of being in prison? Explain why or why not. Use your own knowledge and details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)