|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "we" do to send "our" gift into the vast promise? (Poem 2- "Village Tapes")
2. What did Morrison name the boxing match at the end of the poem? (Poem 2-"Jamaica")
3. Where was liquor made to flow from? (Poem 13- "Village Tapes")
4. What did Morrison compare the beak of the vulture to? (Poem 4-"Jamaica")
5. What did Morrison say that he had to leave? (Poem 1-"Jamaica")
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Morrison say America did to him? ("Jamaica")
2. How did Morrison describe the vultures in the poem from the section "Jamaica"?
3. In the second poem of the "Village Tapes" section, Morrison claimed that pilots are a problem. Why?
4. In the ninth poem from the "Village Tapes" section, who is Morrison looking for?
5. What did Morrison say needed to be done about the situation that the pilots were in? (Poem 2-"Village Tapes")
6. What did the poem that began "Silver shaken in the gloom" speak about?
7. In the poem from the section "Jamaica", what did Morrison describe was happening?
8. In the first poem of the section titled "Drywater", how did Morrison describe the night?
9. Why did Morrison ask for forgiveness from Blacks? (Poem 3- "Villages Tapes")
10. In the fourth poem from the "Drywater" section, how did Morrison bring religious imagery into the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon Morrison's poetry, what did you learn about the life of rock stars in the 1970's? What were they faced with? How did they live? Can you understand where the stereo-type of girls/sex/excess for musicians began? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Morrison used the imagery of birds in many of the poems in the book. Discuss the different ways that the birds were used in the poems. Chose at least 3 poems in which Morrison used birds and explain their use in the poem. How was the usage similar? How was the usage different?
Essay Topic 3
"THE PONY EXPRESS" 21st May 1954
The pony express carried the mail
Over hill, over dale.
Over rough rugged trails
And the brave men that carried it
For they knew they were helping their good country's name
They rode and rode through
Strong winds and rain just
To carry the mail and build
Up our name
Over Indian country and great sandy plains,
They carried the mail and shared our fame.
"The Pony Express" was Morrison's first poem. Discuss the similarities between his writing as an adult to those of his first poem. What imagery did Morrison still use? How is the theme similar to poetry from his adulthood? What distinct image do you find that Morrison carried with him?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)