|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of prayer did the poem call for to hope for a "strong plane landing"? (Poem 2- "Village Tapes")
2. In the poem "Silence of Night", what is described as being in the "starry night"?
(a) An airplane.
(b) The waning moon.
(c) A hawk.
(d) A bird.
3. At the end of the second poem in the "Drywater" section, who was described as "winning"?
(a) The bad guys.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The children.
(d) The good guys.
4. What did Morrison name the boxing match at the end of the poem? (Poem 2-"Jamaica")
(a) "A Negro Dance".
(b) "A Blip in Life".
(c) "A Consistant Battle".
(d) "A Fight of Fear".
5. How did Morrison describe religion in the first poem from the section named "Drywater"?
(a) Hope for the hopeless.
(b) Quick to falter.
(c) A dying breed.
(d) Velvet furred.
Short Answer Questions
1. In poem one, "Drywater" section, what did Morrison say went down drains?
2. What made wine? (Poem 15- "Village Tapes")
3. What did the men, described by Morrison, wear in the poem? (Poem 1- "Jamaica")
4. Who was the "deaf witness on the bank" compared to? (Poem 4-"Drywater")
5. What did the principal think was in the building? (Poem 4-"Jamaica")
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Morrison state that children and men feared? ("Jamaica")
2. Who did Morrison describe in the poem "Jamaica"?
3. What is happening in the poem "Cassandra at the Well"?
4. In the poem "Science of Night", whom is Morrison addressing?
5. Morrison described the appearance of the the inhabitants of the island. How did Morrison describe the appearance of the men and women? ("Jamaica")
6. In the first poem of the section titled "Drywater", how did Morrison describe the night?
7. In the second poem from the "Drywater" section, what did Morrison say was happening in the schoolyard?
8. What message did Morrison claim was being sent at the end of the fourth poem in the "Drywater" section?
9. In the poem from the section "Jamaica", what did Morrison describe was happening?
10. What did Morrison say America did to him? ("Jamaica")
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)