|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Cassandra at the Well", what did Morrison say was happening?
(a) He was throwing all of his money away.
(b) He was pushing his lover down the well.
(c) He was dying.
(d) He was wishing for life.
2. What did Morrison compare the beak of the vulture to? (Poem 4-"Jamaica")
3. What did the woman, in the third poem in the section titled "Drywater", take with her when she left?
(c) Gold coins.
(d) Silver coins.
4. What made wine? (Poem 15- "Village Tapes")
(c) The sun.
(d) The night.
5. What is the metaphor that Morrison used for the "night"? (Poem 1-"Drywater")
(b) Steel machine.
(c) Blanket of heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Morrison describe the land on the schoolyard? (Poem 2- "Drywater")
2. What did Morrison describe as having a "cold white neon bosom"? (Poem 4-"Jamaica")
3. What did Morrison name as coinciding with a time of plenty? (Poem 4- "Drywater")
4. What did Morison say a child gave into? (Poem 1-"Jamaica")
5. What kind of tires did the people in the poem (Poem 2-"Village Tapes") ride on out of the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Morrison describe in the poem "Jamaica"?
2. Why did Morrison claim that "I deserve this" at the end of the final poem from the "Drywater" section?
3. In the poem "Science of Night", whom is Morrison addressing?
4. In the first poem from "The Village Tapes" section, what state is the world in?
5. In the fourth poem from the "Drywater" section, how did Morrison bring religious imagery into the poem?
6. In the second poem of the "Village Tapes" section, Morrison claimed that pilots are a problem. Why?
7. What did the poem that began "Silver shaken in the gloom" speak about?
8. How did Morrison describe the vultures in the poem from the section "Jamaica"?
9. Morrison described the appearance of the the inhabitants of the island. How did Morrison describe the appearance of the men and women? ("Jamaica")
10. What message did Morrison claim was being sent at the end of the fourth poem in the "Drywater" section?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)