|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Morrison when he described the night as a "moonshine night"? (From the poem that began with "Moonshine night")
(a) Mt. Harmony.
(b) Mt. Addiction.
(c) Mt. Village.
(d) Mt. Music.
2. How did Morrison describe the young child's mind? (From the poem that began "Bird of prey")
(a) Torn between two consciousnesses.
(b) Broken, paper-thin mind.
(c) Fluttering between light and dark.
(d) Fragile egg-shell mind.
3. Where did Morrison and his friends come from in "he enters stage"?
(d) Far Arden.
4. What did the ancient ones stand beside? (From the poem whose first line was "A vast radiant beach & a cool")
(a) A lightning-struck tree.
(b) A circle of directions.
(c) A crying moon.
(d) An ancient lake.
5. What did the man, who died in the pool, float on? ("Ode to LA")
(a) An iron candle.
(b) A shadow of surrender.
(c) A slip of foam.
(d) A plank of dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Morrison's "Ode to LA" dedicated to?
2. Who raced down the beach? (From the poem whose first line was "A vast radiant beach & a cool")
3. Where did Morrison think some learned about Satan from?
4. What will the smell of burning leaves become for children in the future? ("A man rakes leaves into a pile")
5. Who did Morrison call "poor"? ("Ode to LA")
Short Essay Questions
1. In the poem "Ode to LA", what did Morrison state was going to happen to Jones' body?
2. According to Morrison, what does "real poetry" do?
3. What did Morrison state happened to the savages in the poem "Ode to LA"?
4. Why did Morrison call an interview an "existential moment"?
5. In the poem that began "An angel runs", what happened when the angel ran?
6. What were the musical references that Morrison made in "Ode to LA"?
7. How did Morrison describe the girl in "Orange County Suite"?
8. How did Morrison use the imagery of the gardener in both "When radio dark night existed" (from "Far Arden") and "Ode to LA"?
9. In the poem that began "Well I'll tell you a story of whiskey", what did Morrison say about how the "whole thing began"?
10. In the poem that began "Why does my mind circle around you", what did Morrison say was wrong with the dog?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)