|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the metaphor that Morrison used for the "night"? (Poem 1-"Drywater")
(b) Blanket of heat.
(d) Steel machine.
2. At the end of the second poem in the "Drywater" section, who was described as "winning"?
(a) The children.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The good guys.
(d) The bad guys.
3. Who were described as having an "insane free chummy cackle"? (Poem 1-"Drywater")
(a) Young lovers.
(b) His music.
4. In the poem that began "Cobra sun/Fever smile", at the end, who came?
5. According to the first poem in "Jamaica", who drove through the suburbs?
(a) The hopeless.
(b) The poor.
(c) The chauffeured.
(d) The stuck.
6. How did Morrison describe the land on the schoolyard? (Poem 2- "Drywater")
7. What was Morrison describing in the poem under "Victimization"?
(a) A revival.
(b) A mass.
(c) An awakening.
(d) A wedding.
8. What did Morrison say was built up again? (Poem 1-"Jamaica")
(a) His hope.
(b) The dam.
(c) The world.
(d) The light.
9. Where did Morrison say, in the first poem of the "Drywater" section, say that men assembled at to create armies and find foes to fight?
(a) Around the fire.
(b) The pier at the beach.
(c) The pool hall.
(d) The men's room.
10. What, according to the fifteenth poem in the "Village Tapes" section, would happen if "the writer can write & the farmer can sow"?
(c) Song can exist.
11. What did Morrison describe the "Church of God" as existing as? (From question: "What is that church like?")
(a) Masks of reality.
(b) White bandanas and white tambourines.
(c) House of hidden truths.
(d) Worship place for the strong.
12. What did Morrison say that he had to leave? (Poem 1-"Jamaica")
(a) The island.
(b) The galaxy.
(c) The world.
(d) The earth.
13. When did "we" awake? (Poem 2-"Drywater")
(a) At noon.
(b) Before dawn.
(c) At midnight.
(d) At dusk.
14. From the first poem in the section named "Jamaica", the hour of "what" ended?
(a) The lion.
(b) The flower.
(c) The dog.
(d) The wolf.
15. What did Morrison call blessed, in the first poem in the section "Jamaica"?
(a) The night.
(b) The children.
(c) The life.
(d) The hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was created when the phone rang at the end of the poem whose first line was "Argue w/breath")?
2. What did Morrison describe "like a white funereal butterfly barge"? (Poem 5- "Jamaica")
3. What did "we" do to send "our" gift into the vast promise? (Poem 2- "Village Tapes")
4. What was behind the nursery door? (Poem 5-"Jamaica")
5. What did Morison say a child gave into? (Poem 1-"Jamaica")
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)