|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Morrison say to poke holes in? ("Ode to LA")
(a) The story.
(b) The death of the man.
(c) The pool liner.
(d) The goddess.
2. Where did "we" rock"? (From the poem that started "In that year")
(a) In a web.
(b) On the stage.
(c) In a cavernous void.
(d) On a coaster.
3. What did the person being questioned in "What are you doing here?" want from Morison?
4. How did Morrison describe the pool that the man died in?
(a) Blue abyss.
(b) Green vanity.
(c) Hot buttered.
(d) Sulfor infested.
5. What was the first poem that Morrison wrote?
(a) "The Bear".
(c) "Life in School".
(d) "The Pony Express".
6. What did the ancient ones stand beside? (From the poem whose first line was "A vast radiant beach & a cool")
(a) A crying moon.
(b) An ancient lake.
(c) A lightning-struck tree.
(d) A circle of directions.
7. Who resided in "meat heaven"? ("Ode to LA")
(a) The devil.
(b) You and me.
(c) Cannibals and Jews.
8. How did Morrison describe the laughter he had on the beach? (From the poem whose first line was "A vast radiant beach & a cool")
(a) Soft and mad.
(b) Quiet and confined.
(c) Loud and insane.
(d) Intense and full of power.
9. What city did Morrison ask the location of in "Ode to LA"?
(b) Mea She'arim.
(d) Lion's Gate.
10. In the first poem of the book, what is left to wander?
(a) The soul.
(b) The mind.
(c) The body.
(d) The heart.
11. What did Morrison compare savages to in "Ode to LA"?
(a) Poetic versers.
(b) Monsters of rhythm.
(c) Silent singers.
(d) High messengers.
12. What poem did Morrison write in high school?
(a) "Running with Steel".
(b) "Pride and Love".
(c) "Horse Latitudes".
(d) "A Sense of My Own".
13. What did Morrison say was a child's first moment of freedom?
(a) When their mother quit breast-feeding.
(b) A first trip away from home.
(c) When they were able to speak.
(d) The first time a child crossed the street alone.
14. What grade, in school, did Morrison write his first poem?
(a) 3rd or 4th.
(b) 7th or 8th.
(c) 1st or 2nd.
(d) 5th or 6th.
15. How did Morrison describe the night in the poem that started "In that year"?
(b) An infinite number of stars lighting the land.
(c) Radio dark.
(d) Void of stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Morrison question about the body in the pool?
2. What did Morrison hope that "you" went out doing? ("Ode to LA")
3. How did Morrison describe the satyr in "Ode to LA"?
4. Who raced down the beach? (From the poem whose first line was "A vast radiant beach & a cool")
5. Why did Morrison say that poetry appealed to him?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)