|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hjalmar was raised by whom?
2. What word does Hjalmar use to describe Werle's marriage?
3. Why is Mrs. Sorby moving from her home?
4. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar can get through Hedwig's death?
5. Where does Mrs. Sorby see Hedwig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3Hjalmar endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)