|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Relling say Hjalmar has not come home the night before the beginning of Act 5?
2. Who or what does Hjalmar say he is taking with him when he leaves?
3. What does Hjalmar say he needs in order to finish his invention?
4. What does Hjalmar eat while he is packing?
5. What does Relling say Hjalmar has never had in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their primary motivation throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme throughout this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)