|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the housekeeper playing when Werle's son is leaving his father's house?
2. At the beginning of Act 3, Gina complains about what to Hjalmar?
3. What does Gregers want to tell Hjalmar about his marriage?
4. Why has Werle asked his son to come home at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Gregers think Hjalmar will feel about hearing the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hjalmar say to Gregers about Hedwig's eyes?
2. How does Act 4 begin?
3. What news does Hjalmar give Gina when she returns from shopping, and how does she react to this?
4. What does Gregers tell Werle he wants to tell Hjalmar, and why?
5. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar will get through the tragic death of Hedwig?
6. What does Hjalmar tell Gina and Hedwig about the party?
7. What does the note say that Mrs. Sorby gives to Hedwig in the hall?
8. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
9. Why has Hedwig been kept out of school, and how does she feel about this?
10. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor is a theme within this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Hjalmar changes a lot through the course of this book. Please compare and contrast Hjalmar's character at the beginning of the book with Hjalmar's character at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)