|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gregers want to tell Hjalmar about his marriage?
2. Where does Gregers decide to stay when he comes back to town?
3. About what does Hjalmar say he knows the most at the party?
4. How old is Hjalmar's daughter at the beginning of the book?
5. About what does Hjalmar caution Hedwig regarging the gun when he returns from the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
2. What does Gregers tell Werle he wants to tell Hjalmar, and why?
3. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
4. Why does Gina say she had an affair with Werle while working for him?
5. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
6. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
7. What strange noise is heard from the back room while Gregers is there, and what causes it?
8. What does Hjalmar ask Hedwig to do when she comes on stage for the first time in Act 3?
9. What do ducks do when they are wounded?
10. What does Hedwig say is the most important thing in the back room, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that has been placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Hjalmar endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)