|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets up Ekdal's son in his business?
2. What is to be celebrated the day after the lunch with the tenants?
3. Hjalmar says he is happy in spite of what?
4. To what does Werle compare the Ekdal family after his son gets angry with him?
5. How does Hjalmar feel when Gregers comes to his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
2. What does Relling say to Hedwig just before leaving at the beginning of Act 5?
3. What is the first thing Hjalmar does when he returns from his walk with Gregers?
4. What does Old Ekdal ask Hjalmar to do with him, and how does Hjalmar respond?
5. What does Gregers suggest Hedwig do to prove her love to her father?
6. What does Hjalmar tell Gina and Hedwig about the party?
7. How does Gregers say he knows about his father's affair while his mother was still alive?
8. What does Relling say about the atmosphere within Hjalmar's home, and what does Gregers have to say about this?
9. What does Ekdal show the people at the lunch table?
10. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that has been placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Valor is a theme within this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)