|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Hjalmar play?
2. Relling says Molvik is demonic about what?
3. How does Gregers describe the atmosphere in Hjalmar's house?
4. Why does Gregers think Werle is so greedy?
5. What is the name of the Werle's housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
2. What does Hjalmar do the last two time Hedwig ever tries to approach him?
3. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
4. What does Hjalmar say he and his father both considered doing following the bad bank deal?
5. What does Old Ekdal ask Hjalmar to do with him, and how does Hjalmar respond?
6. What history is shared by the servants about Old Ekdal?
7. What news does Hjalmar give Gina when she returns from shopping, and how does she react to this?
8. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
9. How does Hedwig feel about the idea that Gregers suggests to her in order to prove her love to her father?
10. How does Hjalmar feel when he realizes that Hedwig might not be his own daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme throughout this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)