|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Werle compare the Ekdal family after his son gets angry with him?
2. What does Ekdal's son say when Ekdal leaves for home?
3. According to Werle's son, how did Werle treat his wife when she was alive?
4. How does Gina feel when Gregers comes to her house?
5. Who does Ekdal's son marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ekdal show the people at the lunch table?
2. Where does Relling say Hjalmar is?
3. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
4. What does Relling say to Hedwig just before leaving at the beginning of Act 5?
5. How does Hjalmar feel when he realizes that Hedwig might not be his own daughter?
6. Why does Gina tell Hedwig to stop reading in Act 2?
7. Why has Hedwig been kept out of school, and how does she feel about this?
8. What does Hjalmar say to Gregers about Hedwig's eyes?
9. Why does Mrs. Sorby say her relationship with Werle will be so strong?
10. What does Hjalmar do when he returns to the room after the strange noise is heard in the back room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Hjalmar endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Ibsen have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)