|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Gina and Hjalmar been married when the book begins?
2. Where does Gregers decide to stay when he comes back to town?
3. About what does Hjalmar caution Hedwig regarging the gun when he returns from the attic?
4. What is the name of Mr. Werle's son?
5. What does Hjalmar tell his wife he cannot do any more?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
2. How does Hedwig feel about the idea that Gregers suggests to her in order to prove her love to her father?
3. How does Relling say Hjalmar and Molvik are similar?
4. What does Gina say when Gregers leaves her house?
5. Why does Gina say she had an affair with Werle while working for him?
6. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
7. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
8. What does Old Ekdal ask Hjalmar to do with him, and how does Hjalmar respond?
9. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
10. Where does Relling say Hjalmar is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme throughout this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)