|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Werle's son?
2. How many people dine with Werle at the beginning of the book?
3. Where does Act 2 take place?
4. What kind of business does Ekdal's son run?
5. How old is Hjalmar's daughter at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange noise is heard from the back room while Gregers is there, and what causes it?
2. What does Hjalmar admit to Gregers when they are alone in the room?
3. The servants gossip about what while toasts are being made in the dining room?
4. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
5. Why does Gina say she had an affair with Werle while working for him?
6. What does Relling say about the atmosphere within Hjalmar's home, and what does Gregers have to say about this?
7. What does Relling tell Gregers NOT to do when he learns that Gina's affair has been uncovered?
8. What does Hjalmar say about Werle's letter regarding Ekdal's pension?
9. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
10. What does Werle offer Gregers while they are speaking in Hjalmar's house, and how does Werle respond to this offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that has been placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Ibsen have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Valor is a theme within this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)