|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Old Ekdal's favorite hobbies when he is younger?
2. Why does Werle plan to marry his housekeeper?
3. What does Ekdal's son say when Ekdal leaves for home?
4. What is Molvik's occupation?
5. What is Gina doing at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Relling say about the atmosphere within Hjalmar's home, and what does Gregers have to say about this?
2. What is the first thing Hjalmar does when he returns from his walk with Gregers?
3. Why does Gina tell Hedwig to stop reading in Act 2?
4. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
5. What does Hjalmar say to Gregers about Hedwig's eyes?
6. What does Relling say to Hedwig just before leaving at the beginning of Act 5?
7. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
8. Why does Gina say she had an affair with Werle while working for him?
9. With what does Werle compare the Ekdals when he talks about the bad business deal?
10. What does Hedwig say is the most important thing in the back room, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their primary motivation throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)