|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2 take place?
2. Why does Gregers think Werle is so greedy?
3. Who sets up Ekdal's son in his business?
4. Who gives Hjalmar's son a wounded animal to nurse back to health?
5. What is Molvik's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
2. What does Gina say when Gregers leaves her house?
3. How does Relling say Hjalmar and Molvik are similar?
4. Why does Gina say she had an affair with Werle while working for him?
5. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
6. For what is Hjalmar looking when he comes home after his night of drinking, and why?
7. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
8. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
9. What history is shared by the servants about Old Ekdal?
10. How does this play begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their primary motivation throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)