|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hjalmar's daughter bring for Gregers while he is visiting?
2. For what has Hjalmar invited his tenants to his house?
3. Where does Hedwig say she likes to spend most of her time at home?
4. Gregers says Hjalmar is lost in what?
5. At the beginning of Act 3, Gina complains about what to Hjalmar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
2. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
3. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
4. What history is shared by the servants about Old Ekdal?
5. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar will get through the tragic death of Hedwig?
6. What does Relling say about the atmosphere within Hjalmar's home, and what does Gregers have to say about this?
7. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
8. What does Ekdal show the people at the lunch table?
9. What news from Hjalmar surprises Gregers about his daughter?
10. What do ducks do when they are wounded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their primary motivation throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme, and how are the characters involved affected?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)