|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hjalmar place a gun after returning from the attic?
2. What kind of business does Ekdal's son run?
3. With whom does Gregers speak when he comes in the house at the beginning of Act 3?
4. What is Gina's daughter doing at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Whom does Hjalmar ask to finish his work while he joins his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 4 begin?
2. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
3. What strange noise is heard from the back room while Gregers is there, and what causes it?
4. Gina complains about what when she returns from shopping?
5. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
6. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
7. How was Hjalmar raised?
8. What does Gina say when Gregers leaves her house?
9. What does Relling say to Hedwig just before leaving at the beginning of Act 5?
10. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With which character do you most relate in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)