|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the servants, why has Ekdal gone to jail.?
2. Hjalmar is worrying about what medical condition with his daughter?
3. Who interrupts the near fight between Gregers and Relling?
4. To what does Werle compare the Ekdal family after his son gets angry with him?
5. Who does Ekdal's son marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gina say when Gregers leaves her house?
2. What does Old Ekdal ask Hjalmar to do with him, and how does Hjalmar respond?
3. What does Hjalmar admit to Gregers when they are alone in the room?
4. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
5. How does this play begin?
6. What sickness does Relling say Gregers has?
7. What does Gregers tell Hjalmar he would like to be after hearing about what wounded ducks do?
8. What do ducks do when they are wounded?
9. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar will get through the tragic death of Hedwig?
10. How does Gregers feel when he enters the stage at the beginning of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)