|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the servants, why has Ekdal gone to jail.?
2. How does Gregers think Hjalmar will feel about hearing the truth?
3. Who chides Ekdal's son for what he says when his father leaves for home?
4. For what is Gina's daughter excited when her father gets home?
5. What does Hjalmar spend his spare time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Hedwig been kept out of school, and how does she feel about this?
2. What is in Ekdal's back room?
3. What does Hjalmar do the last two time Hedwig ever tries to approach him?
4. What sickness does Relling say Gregers has?
5. What news does Hjalmar give Gina when she returns from shopping, and how does she react to this?
6. What does Hjalmar say when he hears that his wife did have an affair with Werle?
7. Hedwig worries about what when her father goes out drinking, and how does Gregers respond?
8. What history is shared by the servants about Old Ekdal?
9. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
10. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Ibsen have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Hjalmar endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme, and how are the characters involved affected?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)