|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hjalmar ask to finish his work while he joins his father?
2. Where does Ekdal tell Hjalmar to go to work?
3. What is Relling's occupation?
4. What is the name of Old Ekdal's son?
5. According to Werle's son, how did Werle treat his wife when she was alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Hedwig been kept out of school, and how does she feel about this?
2. What strange noise is heard from the back room while Gregers is there, and what causes it?
3. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
4. What does Hjalmar say he and his father both considered doing following the bad bank deal?
5. Where does Relling say Hjalmar is?
6. Why does Gina tell Hedwig to stop reading in Act 2?
7. What does Hjalmar do when he returns to the room after the strange noise is heard in the back room?
8. What does Relling say about the atmosphere within Hjalmar's home, and what does Gregers have to say about this?
9. What does Gregers tell Werle he wants to tell Hjalmar, and why?
10. What does Gina say when Gregers leaves her house?
Essay Topic 1
Molvik is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)