|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ekdal describe rabbit meat?
2. What is the name of Old Ekdal's son?
3. Hjalmar ask for a lot of what item on his sandwich?
4. To what does Werle compare the Ekdal family after his son gets angry with him?
5. What is the name of Gina's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Ekdal leaves, Gregers confronts his father about what? What is Werle's response to this?
2. According to Ekdal, what is the best way to kill a bird?
3. What does Hjalmar ask Hedwig to do when she comes on stage for the first time in Act 3?
4. What does Werle offer Gregers while they are speaking in Hjalmar's house, and how does Werle respond to this offer?
5. What does Gregers say in response to Hjalmar's response to Werle's impending blindness?
6. Gina complains about what when she returns from shopping?
7. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
8. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar will get through the tragic death of Hedwig?
9. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
10. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Ibsen have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does they affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)