|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hjalmar say Old Ekdal almost does after the bad bank deal?
2. What is the name of Gina's daughter?
3. How does Relling describe the atmosphere in Hjalmar's house?
4. Where does Werle's son meet Ekdal's son?
5. How does Gina feel when Gregers comes to her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hjalmar say to Gregers about Hedwig's eyes?
2. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
3. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
4. How does this play begin?
5. What is in Ekdal's back room?
6. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
7. What strange noise is heard from the back room while Gregers is there, and what causes it?
8. What does Gregers say in response to Hjalmar's response to Werle's impending blindness?
9. What does Hjalmar say about Werle's letter regarding Ekdal's pension?
10. What does Hjalmar tell Gregers about his invention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)