|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gina doing at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What is the name of Gina's daughter?
3. Gina asks Hedwig for help with what at the beginning of Act 3?
4. Why does Werle plan to marry his housekeeper?
5. How does Relling describe the atmosphere in Hjalmar's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in Ekdal's back room?
2. What does Ekdal show the people at the lunch table?
3. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
4. What does Hjalmar do the last two time Hedwig ever tries to approach him?
5. What does Hjalmar say about Werle's letter regarding Ekdal's pension?
6. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
7. How does Relling say Hjalmar and Molvik are similar?
8. How does Gregers say he knows about his father's affair while his mother was still alive?
9. What does Hjalmar ask Hedwig to do when she comes on stage for the first time in Act 3?
10. What news from Hjalmar surprises Gregers about his daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hjalmar endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their primary motivation throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)