|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the plan that imprisons Old Ekdal?
2. How old is Hjalmar's daughter at the beginning of the book?
3. About what does Hjalmar say he knows the most at the party?
4. How does Gina feel when Gregers comes to her house?
5. Gregers says Hjalmar is lost in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Relling say Hjalmar and Molvik are similar?
2. What does Hjalmar ask Hedwig to do when she comes on stage for the first time in Act 3?
3. What does Hjalmar say he and his father both considered doing following the bad bank deal?
4. What does Old Ekdal ask Hjalmar to do with him, and how does Hjalmar respond?
5. With what does Werle compare the Ekdals when he talks about the bad business deal?
6. What does Gregers say in response to Hjalmar's response to Werle's impending blindness?
7. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
8. How does Hedwig feel about the idea that Gregers suggests to her in order to prove her love to her father?
9. How was Hjalmar raised?
10. What does Relling tell Gregers NOT to do when he learns that Gina's affair has been uncovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With which character do you most relate in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that has been placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Valor is a theme within this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)