|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gina asks Hedwig for help with what at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) Cleaning the house.
(b) Getting lunch ready.
(c) Calming Old Ekdal.
(d) Nursing the duck.
2. To what does Werle compare the Ekdal family after his son gets angry with him?
(a) A shot duck.
(b) A decoy swan.
(c) A rabid squirrel.
(d) A lame deer.
3. What does Gregers want to tell Hjalmar about his marriage?
(a) Gina and Werle are hiding something.
(b) Gina does not love him.
(c) Werle takes pity on him.
(d) Gina had been Werle's lover.
4. Hjalmar says he is happy in spite of what?
(a) His being sick.
(b) His being busy.
(c) His supporting his father.
(d) His being poor.
5. Hjalmar is worrying about what medical condition with his daughter?
(a) Her failing eyesight.
(b) Her thin blood.
(c) Her lack of growth.
(d) Her tendency to faint.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Gina and Hjalmar been married when the book begins?
2. What does Hjalmar say he has a sacred duty to do?
3. How does Gina feel when Gregers comes to her house?
4. Where does Werle's son meet Ekdal's son?
5. What does Werle's son say he has discovered as he leaves his father's house at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gregers tell Werle he wants to tell Hjalmar, and why?
2. What does Hjalmar admit to Gregers when they are alone in the room?
3. Gina complains about what when she returns from shopping?
4. What does Relling say to Hedwig just before leaving at the beginning of Act 5?
5. What does Hedwig say is the most important thing in the back room, and why?
6. Why does Relling think Gregers is so eager to make Hjalmar live by the Ideal?
7. What news from Hjalmar surprises Gregers about his daughter?
8. How does Hjalmar feel about the bad business deal, and what does Werle do for him in response?
9. What news does Hjalmar give Gina when she returns from shopping, and how does she react to this?
10. Why is Werle throwing a party at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)