|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Werle's son say he has discovered as he leaves his father's house at the beginning of the book?
(a) His purpose in life.
(b) His duty to his mother.
(c) His father's true nature.
(d) His reason for returning.
2. How does Relling describe the atmosphere in Hjalmar's house?
3. When Gina hears about the tenants' having been invited to her house, about what does she worry?
(a) That she will not be ready.
(b) That there will not be enough food.
(c) That they will make a mess.
(d) That they will wake up Hedwig.
4. What is heard from the attic while Gina is preparing lunch?
(a) A dull thud.
(b) A shot.
(c) Loud cursing.
(d) Breaking glass.
5. Relling says Gregers used to talk about what constantly?
(a) His mission in life.
(b) The trench of the damned.
(c) The Code of the Saviors.
(d) The Claim of the Ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room are the servants tidying at the beginning of the play?
2. What is Gina's daughter doing at the beginning of Act 2?
3. How does Hjalmar want to redeem his father?
4. Where does Gregers decide to stay when he comes back to town?
5. Hjalmar says he is happy in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Hedwig been kept out of school, and how does she feel about this?
2. What does Gregers say in response to Hjalmar's response to Werle's impending blindness?
3. For what is Hjalmar looking when he comes home after his night of drinking, and why?
4. How does Gina say they have been able to survive on such a small income?
5. Gina complains about what when she returns from shopping?
6. Why does Mrs. Sorby say her relationship with Werle will be so strong?
7. What does Gregers tell Hjalmar he would like to be after hearing about what wounded ducks do?
8. What does Hjalmar do the last two time Hedwig ever tries to approach him?
9. Hedwig worries about what when her father goes out drinking, and how does Gregers respond?
10. Why is Hedwig disappointed when Hjalmar comes back from the party, and how does Hjalmar respond to this?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)