|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ailment does Werle have?
(a) He has cancer.
(b) He has severe arthritis.
(c) He has a venereal disease.
(d) He is going blind.
2. What does Hjalmar tell Mrs. Sorby to tell Werle?
(a) He knows the truth and forgives him.
(b) He will seek out vengeance on him.
(c) He wants him to die.
(d) He will repay all the money he has been given.
3. What does Hjalmar order Hedwig to do when he comes home at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Practice her reading.
(d) Bathe herself.
4. How does Gina say she and Hjalmar can get through Hedwig's death?
(a) If they help each other.
(b) If they go to church.
(c) If they repent of their pride.
(d) If they love each other like she would have wanted.
5. Why does Mrs. Sorby come to Gina's house?
(a) To ask forgiveness.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) To check on Hedwig.
(d) To bring some work for Ekdal.
6. Why does Relling say Hjalmar has not come home the night before the beginning of Act 5?
(a) He has been searching his soul.
(b) He has had a spiritual upheaval.
(c) He has been out drinking.
(d) He is afraid
7. What does Hjalmar tell Gina to do with the letter about the pension?
(a) File it.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Mail it back.
(d) Frame it.
8. To whom is Gina saying goodbye at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) A friend.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) A client.
9. Who or what does Hjalmar say will never be welcome in his house again?
(a) His father.
(b) Reminders of Gregers.
(c) Anything from Werle.
(d) People who had known him before the bank deal.
10. What does Gregers say he has given to Gina and Hjalmar by telling him of the affair?
(c) Free consciences.
11. What is Gina doing at the beginning of Act 5?
12. Why is Relling upset that Mrs. Sorby is moving?
(a) He has tried to help her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He wants to hire her.
(d) He is sorry for her.
13. What does Hjalmar do the first time he sees Hedwig after his night of drinking?
(a) Turns his back on her.
(b) Pushes her away.
(c) Slaps her.
(d) Ignores her.
14. What does Hjalmar doubt most about Hedwig?
(a) Whether she knows about the secret.
(b) Whether she can forgive him.
(c) Whether she is his.
(d) Whether she loves him.
15. Who does Relling say should NOT learn about Gina's affair?
(a) Mrs. Sorby.
(d) Old Ekdal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of life does Relling say Hjalmar is living?
2. What does Gina say has been supplementing their income?
3. What does Hjalmar say he would not have done had he known about Gina's affair?
4. What has Werle set up so that Old Ekdal will no longer have to work?
5. How does Gregers think Hjalmar will feel about knowing about the affair?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)