|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hjalmar do repeatedly after his father goes to work somewhere else?
(a) Gets up to join his father.
(c) Throws logs onto the fire.
(d) Stares off into the distance.
2. Why does Hedwig say she enjoys staying home from school?
(a) She has alone time.
(b) There is a lot to do.
(c) There are no other kids.
(d) She can be with her mother.
3. Hjalmar ask for a lot of what item on his sandwich?
4. What does Relling call Old Ekdal?
(a) The Prodigal.
(b) The Elder.
(c) The Survivor.
(d) The Hunter.
5. What does Werle's son say he has discovered as he leaves his father's house at the beginning of the book?
(a) His reason for returning.
(b) His purpose in life.
(c) His father's true nature.
(d) His duty to his mother.
6. What is happening in the house at the beginning of the play?
(a) A doctor's visit.
(b) A ball.
(c) A fight.
(d) A dinner party.
7. Gregers says Hjalmar is lost in what?
(a) A wildlife refuge.
(b) A minefield.
(c) His own mind.
(d) A poisonous swamp.
8. Why does Hedwig say the wounded duck is the most important thing in the back room?
(a) It is alone.
(b) It is wounded.
(c) It is wild.
(d) It is in need.
9. Gina asks Hedwig for help with what at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) Nursing the duck.
(b) Cleaning the house.
(c) Calming Old Ekdal.
(d) Getting lunch ready.
10. What is Hjalmar doing at the beginning of Act 3?
(b) Going over his finances.
(d) Retouching some photos.
11. Where does Ekdal tell Hjalmar to go to work?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The attic.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) His back room.
12. What does Gregers want to tell Hjalmar about his marriage?
(a) Gina does not love him.
(b) Gina and Werle are hiding something.
(c) Werle takes pity on him.
(d) Gina had been Werle's lover.
13. Why does Werle plan to marry his housekeeper?
(a) She is a good friend.
(b) She has a hidden fortune.
(c) He loves her.
(d) His eyesight is failing.
14. How many people dine with Werle at the beginning of the book?
15. Which of the following is NOT an animal kept in the house by Old Ekdal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the housekeeper playing when Werle's son is leaving his father's house?
2. Who gives Hjalmar's son a wounded animal to nurse back to health?
3. Who has the most control within the photography business?
4. Where does Hjalmar place a gun after returning from the attic?
5. How does Hjalmar want to redeem his father?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)