* The servants are cleaning in the living room while a party is heard in the background. They gossip about their boss' having feelings for the housekeeper.
* Ekdal comes into the office to get some papers. The servants talk about how he was in the army, but went to jail after a bad deal with Werle.
* Werle is throwing a party for his son. Ekdal's son, Hjalmar is there. He and Gregers talk about their lives.
* Hjalmer recently married Gina, a woman who used to work for Werle. Werle set up a photography business for Hjalmar.
* Ekdal walks through them to leave, and Hjalmar ignores him. Gregers chides him for this, but Hjalmar admits to being embarrassed.
* Gregers talks alone with his father. He asks why he has allowed the Ekdals to sink so low. Werle says the bad business deal was Ekdal's fault.
* He compares them to...
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)