|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jung so shocked about what happened to a woman accused of having a picture of pre-Communist leaders?
2. Of what is Mao afraid?
3. Why was De-hong allowed to leave prison for a short time?
4. What does Chang Shou-yu suggest that De-hong do in order to protect his children?
5. How many of De-hong's five children stay in China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jung want more than anything our of her university experience?
2. How is Chang Shou-yu punished when he is denounced?
3. What happened to De-hong's brother when Mao formed the Red Guard?
4. What does Jung's younger sister do with her boyfriend?
5. What does the cook do for De-hong while she is sick with hepatitis?
6. What does Chang Shou-yu plan to do about his growing concerns about the direction the Revolution is taking?
7. What act of sacrifice does Jung do while caring for her sick grandmother in the hospital?
8. Why was Jung so shocked about the woman who was beaten for having pictures of pre-Communism leaders?
9. Why does Er-hong walk away from the Red Guard when they confront one of her philosophy teachers?
10. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 2
De-hong witnesses many different things that help to enforce her support of the Communist Party. What are some of the things that she sees happen? What are some of the things she does do to help the Communist movement progress? What would the punishment have been had she been caught? Why is she willing to risk this?
Essay Topic 3
When Dr. Xia treats the Governor, he has to trick him. How does he do this? Why does he do this? What was his reward for treating and healing the Governor?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)