|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes American literature to suddenly be allowed?
2. How are most of the young people feeling during the political unrest and the famine?
3. Why does Yu-Fang faint when the guards will not let her drop off a package of food at the prison?
4. Why was De-hong allowed to leave prison for a short time?
5. What causes the Red Guard to hesitate in continuing their violent tactics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jung feel about Mao's death?
2. Why does Jung not spend any of the money her grandmother had given her while she is in Peking?
3. What is a barefoot doctor?
4. What happened to De-hong's brother when Mao formed the Red Guard?
5. Why is Jung so eager to go and study in the West?
6. What happens when De-hong tries to get a doctor to help Chang Shou-yu with another heart attack?
7. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
8. What happens as Jung tries to re-board her train when coming home from her trip to Peking?
9. What happened to Yu-Fang before she died?
10. Why does Er-hong walk away from the Red Guard when they confront one of her philosophy teachers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to Jung on the train, and what effect does this have on her? Why was this so surprising?
Essay Topic 2
Jung reads an article that changes her whole opinion of Mao. Where did she read this article? What did it say? Why did this change her frame of mind?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in the book? How does this character change throughout the book? What kind of experiences does this character go through, and how do these affect them? What kind of influence did this character have on the other characters in the book?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)