|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Jung to reflect on Mao's unfair treatment of the people while on vacation with her sister?
2. What are people labeled when their loyalty to the Communist cause is questioned?
3. Why does Jung have to rush to get back on a train during her trip to Peking?
4. After seeing so much wrong with the Red Guard after their vindictive assaults, what are Jung's feelings about Mao?
5. What does De-hong do to the group of teachers that are accused of being subversives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jung not spend any of the money her grandmother had given her while she is in Peking?
2. What changes Jung's view on Mao?
3. What happens to an article that Mao writes for the newspaper?
4. Why does Jung not want to get well when she falls ill at the country camp?
5. Why was Specs turned down for a promotion?
6. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
7. What does Jung want more than anything our of her university experience?
8. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
9. How was Jung's brother kept safe when he was caught with an unsanctioned book?
10. What is a barefoot doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the people believe so strongly in Mao? What has he done to win their loyalty? What kind of propaganda has been spread around? What tactics have been used by the Communist Party to help Mao keep his power?
Essay Topic 2
What is Er-hong taught about the Western civilizations, and how does this affect her life? What is one of her greatest goals in life due to this misinformation? Why was she taught this? What is the benefit for the Communist Party for children to believe this lie?
Essay Topic 3
Wang Yu and De-hong had heard of each other before meeting each other in person. How did they hear of each other? What were their first impressions? How did they react to meeting each other in person? What surprised Wang Yu about De-hong?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)