|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jung want to spend every spare moment doing while she is at the work farm?
2. What does De-hong do to the group of teachers that are accused of being subversives?
3. What job does Xiao-hei take in hopes of being seen favorably by the party after his father's political position is threatened?
4. What did Jung think her father needed most as he neared another mental breakdown after one of his heart attacks?
5. Why do people not throw away their newspapers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jung want more than anything our of her university experience?
2. What happens as Jung tries to re-board her train when coming home from her trip to Peking?
3. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
4. Why does Jung not want to get well when she falls ill at the country camp?
5. What does Chang Shou-yu plan to do about his growing concerns about the direction the Revolution is taking?
6. What happened to Yu-Fang before she died?
7. What does Young make for Jung to show his kindness?
8. Why won't Chang Shou-yu help Jung get into the university?
9. What does Jung's younger sister do with her boyfriend?
10. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Er-hong taught about the Western civilizations, and how does this affect her life? What is one of her greatest goals in life due to this misinformation? Why was she taught this? What is the benefit for the Communist Party for children to believe this lie?
Essay Topic 2
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fang-Yu has two major relationships in this book. Who were the relationships with, and how were they so different? How did each relationship affect De-hong's life?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)