|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Chang Shou-yu taken to a hospital to be treated?
2. What was the special broadcast about on September 9, 1976?
3. What does Chang Shou-yu want to do as soon as his name is cleared of the un-Communistic claims against him?
4. How heavy was the load of pine straw that Jung was sure weighed 140 pounds?
5. Why is Jung sent away from her country camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a barefoot doctor?
2. What does Chang Shou-yu plan to do about his growing concerns about the direction the Revolution is taking?
3. What happens when De-hong tries to get a doctor to help Chang Shou-yu with another heart attack?
4. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
5. Why is Jung so eager to go and study in the West?
6. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
7. What happened to De-hong's brother when Mao formed the Red Guard?
8. What is peculiar about the men who come to arrest Chang Shou-yu that shows how powerful Mao and his young leaders have grown?
9. How does Jung feel about Mao's death?
10. What happens to an article that Mao writes for the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wang Yu and De-hong had heard of each other before meeting each other in person. How did they hear of each other? What were their first impressions? How did they react to meeting each other in person? What surprised Wang Yu about De-hong?
Essay Topic 2
Fang-Yu has two major relationships in this book. Who were the relationships with, and how were they so different? How did each relationship affect De-hong's life?
Essay Topic 3
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)