|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Xiao-fang when he finally receives his first schooling?
2. What was the special broadcast about on September 9, 1976?
3. What is so peculiar about the men who arrested Chang Shou-yu?
4. What is Jung studying and anxious to practice on willing men while at the work farm?
5. Of what is Mao afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chang Shou-yu after he is released from prison?
2. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
3. Why was Specs turned down for a promotion?
4. What act of sacrifice does Jung do while caring for her sick grandmother in the hospital?
5. How was Jung's brother kept safe when he was caught with an unsanctioned book?
6. What is a barefoot doctor?
7. Why won't Chang Shou-yu help Jung get into the university?
8. How does Jung feel about Mao's death?
9. What is peculiar about the men who come to arrest Chang Shou-yu that shows how powerful Mao and his young leaders have grown?
10. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jung reads an article that changes her whole opinion of Mao. Where did she read this article? What did it say? Why did this change her frame of mind?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the differences between Jung and her siblings? What are some of their unique characteristics or interests? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Essay Topic 3
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)