|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term that describes a doctor that works alongside the peasants?
2. Of what is Mao afraid?
3. Why was De-hong allowed to leave prison for a short time?
4. Why does De-hong not want her husband to mail a letter to Mao voicing his concerns?
5. What does Yu-Fang do to prove that she is now accepting of her son-in-law after they are persecuted for un-Communistic behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chang Shou-yu and De-hong still making money even though they are not working due to their illnesses?
2. Why does Jung not spend any of the money her grandmother had given her while she is in Peking?
3. What is a barefoot doctor?
4. What happens when some students who had rounded up dissident teachers ask De-hong for guidance on what to do next?
5. How is Chang Shou-yu punished when he is denounced?
6. What happened to Yu-Fang before she died?
7. Why does Er-hong walk away from the Red Guard when they confront one of her philosophy teachers?
8. What happened to De-hong's brother when Mao formed the Red Guard?
9. What act of sacrifice does Jung do while caring for her sick grandmother in the hospital?
10. What changes Jung's view on Mao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Chang Shou-yu die? Why was this allowed to happen? What would you have done if you had been De-hong, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Jung reads an article that changes her whole opinion of Mao. Where did she read this article? What did it say? Why did this change her frame of mind?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the differences between Jung and her siblings? What are some of their unique characteristics or interests? How does this affect her relationship with them?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)