|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Er-hong ask her father for a new name?
2. What were the General's final actions before his death?
3. What is happening to De-hong when her husband refuses to let her have a driver take her home from the opera?
4. Where does De-hong's family move to be better protected from the military looting?
5. How does Hui-ge accidentally cripple his own regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only valuable asset that Yang Ru-shan had to sell in order to gain the money he needed?
2. Why does Chang Shou-yu want to leave Yibin so soon?
3. What did Chang Shou-yu do to show his growing love for his family that makes De-hong call him a "silly old thing"?
4. What does Er-hong see while riding in her father's limo that makes her ashamed of her privileged life?
5. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
6. What does Chang Shou-yu do as his first moment of putting his family ahead of his party?
7. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home early from the opera?
8. How do Fang-Yu and Dr. Xia meet?
9. What does Jin-ming do at his boarding school that shows how truly attached he has become to his nurse?
10. What does Fang-Yu do on her visit with De-hong that the Communist Party forbids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De-hong is criticized for turning down many marriage suitors. Why has she turned down these men? Why is this different from most women at this time? What is she looking for? Why are her parents upset with her about one of the refusals? Do they have good reason to be?
Essay Topic 2
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What is Er-hong taught about the Western civilizations, and how does this affect her life? What is one of her greatest goals in life due to this misinformation? Why was she taught this? What is the benefit for the Communist Party for children to believe this lie?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)