|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were De-hong and Wang Yu forced to "self-admonishment"?
2. Where did De-hong see Wang Yu before actually meeting him?
3. What sickness does De-hong contract while working in the factories?
4. What was Jin-ming's response when De-hong visited him at his boarding school?
5. What surprises the people about the Communist siege?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Er-hong see while riding in her father's limo that makes her ashamed of her privileged life?
2. What does Fang-Yu do on her visit with De-hong that the Communist Party forbids?
3. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
4. What is De-hong allowed to do to help the Communist movement?
5. What is De-hong not allowed to use because of it's "bourgeois" nature?
6. Why does Dr. Xia give potions to all of the Governor's wives when he knows that the Governor is the one who is infertile.
7. Why was Yang Ru-shan's main duty in life to produce male heirs?
8. What does Jin-ming do at his boarding school that shows how truly attached he has become to his nurse?
9. What does De-hong see a friend's husband do on their journey that makes her lose faith in her own marriage?
10. Why does Er-hong get the wrong idea about children in the West?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De-hong witnesses many different things that help to enforce her support of the Communist Party. What are some of the things that she sees happen? What are some of the things she does do to help the Communist movement progress? What would the punishment have been had she been caught? Why is she willing to risk this?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the people believe so strongly in Mao? What has he done to win their loyalty? What kind of propaganda has been spread around? What tactics have been used by the Communist Party to help Mao keep his power?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in the book? How does this character change throughout the book? What kind of experiences does this character go through, and how do these affect them? What kind of influence did this character have on the other characters in the book?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)