|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the vivid picture show that Yu-Fang told De-hong would be the consequence of lying?
2. What does Er-hong do to show her father how humble she is?
3. About what does Wang Yu ask De-hong for permission to write the Communist leaders?
4. What does Wang Yu do during their journey that disillusions De-hong about their marriage?
5. Why do Jun-ying and a maid move in with Fang-Yu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first thing that attracted General Xue's attention to Fang-Yu?
2. Why does Dr. Xia give potions to all of the Governor's wives when he knows that the Governor is the one who is infertile.
3. Why does De-hong live in a different house than her husband?
4. How does Dr. Xia's oldest son show his disdain for his father's new wife?
5. How do Wang Yu and De-hong know each other before ever meeting each other?
6. What happened to the Japanese people who remained in China after they were defeated?
7. What does Fang-Yu do on her visit with De-hong that the Communist Party forbids?
8. Why does Wang Yu not allow his wife to be transferred to a larger hospital when she is giving birth while sick with tuberculosis?
9. What has Yu-Fang been so busy with while De-hong was being questioned?
10. How do Fang-Yu and Dr. Xia meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jung becomes a barefoot doctor. What does this mean? What was she able to do? Whose idea was it for the barefoot doctor to help people? Would you ever consent to be treated by a barefoot doctor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What is Er-hong taught about the Western civilizations, and how does this affect her life? What is one of her greatest goals in life due to this misinformation? Why was she taught this? What is the benefit for the Communist Party for children to believe this lie?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)