|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wang Yu when his father died?
2. How long does Yu-Fang wait to see her General again after her first interaction with him?
3. What is Yu-lin studying to become?
4. Why were De-hong and Wang Yu forced to "self-admonishment"?
5. What sickness does De-hong contract while working in the factories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause Dr. Xia to leave his children and his home?
2. What did Chang Shou-yu do to show his growing love for his family that makes De-hong call him a "silly old thing"?
3. How does Dr. Xia's oldest son show his disdain for his father's new wife?
4. What is De-hong allowed to do to help the Communist movement?
5. What does Fang-Yu do on her visit with De-hong that the Communist Party forbids?
6. Why is Chang Shou-yu so willing to spend money on books and toys during the famine instead of the food they need?
7. What was the first thing that attracted General Xue's attention to Fang-Yu?
8. Why was Yang Ru-shan's main duty in life to produce male heirs?
9. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
10. What has Yu-Fang been so busy with while De-hong was being questioned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Yang Ru-shan do to earn money, and why does he need the money so badly? What are the long lasting effects of this action? How does this action set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 2
De-hong is criticized for turning down many marriage suitors. Why has she turned down these men? Why is this different from most women at this time? What is she looking for? Why are her parents upset with her about one of the refusals? Do they have good reason to be?
Essay Topic 3
The Chinese people endured many different changes and shifts in their political scene. What were some of the different groups in power, and how did they differ from each other? Which one was the best one for what the people really needed, and why? Please cite specific examples.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)