|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Jung to reflect on Mao's unfair treatment of the people while on vacation with her sister?
(a) She reads an article in Newsweek.
(b) She watches an uncle die of starvation.
(c) She sees him beat a poor farmer.
(d) A picture of oneof his vacation homes.
2. How heavy was the load of pine straw that Jung was sure weighed 140 pounds?
(a) 140 pounds.
(b) 5 pounds.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 70 pounds.
3. What does her hatred of capitalism keep Jung from doing while in Peking?
(a) Purchasing anything--even food.
(b) Promoting her father's business.
(c) Taking a job with wages.
(d) Selling her belongings for food.
4. Without whom does Jung say she would not have survived the Revolution?
(a) Her siblings.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her grandmother.
5. Why was Jung so shocked about what happened to a woman accused of having a picture of pre-Communist leaders?
(a) She was beaten beyond what the punishment for her crime should have been.
(b) The woman looked just like her mom.
(c) The woman died and was innocent.
(d) The complaint was lodged for revenge and was not true.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who allowed Mao's wife to gain so much power?
2. What does Mao call for to help him feel secure in his power after the famine?
3. Which of these was something that Mao's young group did NOT do in his name?
4. What does Jung briefly consider when she realizes her time in Peking was wasted?
5. What does Jung's sister do that Jung thinks is disloyal to her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jung so eager to go and study in the West?
2. What does Chang Shou-yu plan to do about his growing concerns about the direction the Revolution is taking?
3. What does Jung's younger sister do with her boyfriend?
4. Why does Er-hong walk away from the Red Guard when they confront one of her philosophy teachers?
5. Why was Jung so shocked about the woman who was beaten for having pictures of pre-Communism leaders?
6. What happens when De-hong tries to get a doctor to help Chang Shou-yu with another heart attack?
7. What does Jung want more than anything our of her university experience?
8. What happened to Yu-Fang before she died?
9. Why does Jung not spend any of the money her grandmother had given her while she is in Peking?
10. What is a barefoot doctor?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)