|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jung not allowed to take the entrance exams for the universities?
(a) Her grandmother was a concubine.
(b) They are considered "bourgeois".
(c) She is a woman.
(d) Her parents are enemies of the state.
2. What does her hatred of capitalism keep Jung from doing while in Peking?
(a) Purchasing anything--even food.
(b) Taking a job with wages.
(c) Promoting her father's business.
(d) Selling her belongings for food.
3. How are most of the young people feeling during the political unrest and the famine?
(a) Brave and true,
(b) Confused and concerned.
(c) Defensive and suspicious.
(d) Confident and strong.
4. What happens when Xiao-fang is wrongly accused of harming another girl?
(a) He stops playing with other children.
(b) He becomes very sick.
(c) He runs away to avoid punishment.
(d) He joins a street gang.
5. What does Jung briefly consider when she realizes her time in Peking was wasted?
(b) Running home.
(c) Leaving the Red Guard.
(d) Staying longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would it have been dangerous to be caught with a poem?
2. After seeing so much wrong with the Red Guard after their vindictive assaults, what are Jung's feelings about Mao?
3. What is the term that describes a doctor that works alongside the peasants?
4. What did Jung think her father needed most as he neared another mental breakdown after one of his heart attacks?
5. What is the last thing that Jung needs before she can move closer to Chengdu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a barefoot doctor?
2. How does Jung feel about Mao's death?
3. What changes Jung's view on Mao?
4. Why does Er-hong walk away from the Red Guard when they confront one of her philosophy teachers?
5. How was Jung's brother kept safe when he was caught with an unsanctioned book?
6. Why does Jung not want to get well when she falls ill at the country camp?
7. What act of sacrifice does Jung do while caring for her sick grandmother in the hospital?
8. Why was Jung so shocked about the woman who was beaten for having pictures of pre-Communism leaders?
9. How is Yu-Fang punished when she is denounced?
10. What happened to Yu-Fang before she died?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)