|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Governor's wives unable to bear children?
(a) They are all too young to bear children.
(b) The Governor is infertile.
(c) The wives secretly and purposely end all pregnancies.
(d) The wives all share a disease that makes them infertile.
2. What did De-hong think was the most delicious treat from her father?
(a) Plain wheat rolls.
(b) Shaved and flavored ice.
(c) Rice and oranges.
(d) Rice candy.
3. Who helps a pregnant De-hong hide while they are on a raid?
(a) A Kuomingtang chieftain.
(b) Another pregnant woman.
(c) A local farmer.
(d) A Communist comrade.
4. Why did De-hong live with her parents after her transfer instead of her husband?
(a) They were considering a divorce at the time.
(b) Married couples were only allowed to be together on Saturdays.
(c) The Communist party only allowed a certain number of people to be in one home.
(d) Wang Yu was not transferred and had to stay in Yibin.
5. What were the only two things that Chinese people were allowed to eat?
(a) Acorn meal and sorghum.
(b) Acorn meal and rice.
(c) Rice and bread.
(d) Rice and sorghum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wang Yu not happy with Fang-Yu's visit to his family after De-hong gives birth?
2. How many times did De-hong's husband contact her during her six-month incarceration?
3. What was Fang-Yu busy with while De-hong was being incarcerated?
4. What happened to the Japanese people who remained in China after they had been defeated?
5. What causes Yu-Fang to go and see the General after she had refused a number of times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Xia's oldest son show his disdain for his father's new wife?
2. Why does De-hong live in a different house than her husband?
3. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home early from the opera?
4. What happens to the man that Dr. Xia tries to treat with rice from the black market?
5. Why does Er-hong get the wrong idea about children in the West?
6. What does Er-hong see while riding in her father's limo that makes her ashamed of her privileged life?
7. What is De-hong not allowed to use because of it's "bourgeois" nature?
8. What was the first thing that attracted General Xue's attention to Fang-Yu?
9. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
10. How do Wang Yu and De-hong know each other before ever meeting each other?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)