|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pei-o die?
(a) He starves.
(b) He dies in prison.
(c) He falls ill while working in the prison.
(d) He is hung in a public trial.
2. What does Jin-ming do to learn more about the Western societies?
(a) He borrows his teacher's books and manuals.
(b) He scours scientific magazines.
(c) He asks far too many questions and is often reprimanded.
(d) He steals newspapers.
3. What were the first words De-hong spoke when she woke up in the hospital?
(a) Long live Communism.
(b) I want a divorce.
(c) Where is Mother?
(d) I love you.
4. How did Yu-Fang keep her daughter when the General's wife wanted her?
(a) She sued the General's wife for custody.
(b) She kidnapped her.
(c) She sold all her finery and bought the baby.
(d) She got the General to order his wife to let Yu-Fang keep the baby.
5. What causes Yu-Fang to go and see the General after she had refused a number of times?
(a) She had money at her disposal and wanted to see him.
(b) She hears news that he is gravely ill.
(c) He asks, and she obeys.
(d) The General's wife ordered her to come, and she was bound by tradition to obey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Er-hong do to show her father how humble she is?
2. Why would a Chinese man have to bow to a Japanese child?
3. Why does Chang Shou-yu leave a sightseeing trip early?
4. Why are Dr. Xia's children angry with the match between Yu-Fang and their father?
5. What sickness does De-hong contract while working in the factories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fang-Yu do on her visit with De-hong that the Communist Party forbids?
2. How do De-hong and Wang Yu spend their wedding day?
3. What does Chang Shou-yu do as his first moment of putting his family ahead of his party?
4. Why is Mao encouraging "intellectuals" to challenge their leaders?
5. Why does Wang Yu not allow his wife to be transferred to a larger hospital when she is giving birth while sick with tuberculosis?
6. What was the first thing that attracted General Xue's attention to Fang-Yu?
7. Why was Yang Ru-shan's main duty in life to produce male heirs?
8. Why was Yang Ru-shan in need of more money?
9. What is De-hong allowed to do to help the Communist movement?
10. What has Yu-Fang been so busy with while De-hong was being questioned?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)