|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chang Shou-yu overhear in a conversation that he is torn about reporting?
(a) A woman asking a man to take her on as his concubine and feed her children.
(b) Two men saying Mao should be replaced.
(c) A woman asking another woman to give her a secret abortion.
(d) Two men discussing complaints about the Communist ruling.
2. About what does Wang Yu ask De-hong for permission to write the Communist leaders?
(a) To move to her unit.
(b) To study under her father.
(c) To talk about love.
(d) To remove her mother from the "watch list."
3. What does Wang Yu do during their journey that disillusions De-hong about their marriage?
(a) Speaks ill of her family and friends.
(b) Accepts a ride in a jeep when she must walk.
(c) Talks at length with other women in the party.
(d) Mocks her for her slow pace.
4. What crashes into De-hong's house?
(a) A car with Kuomintang officers inside.
(b) A dud bomb shell.
(c) A military jeep.
(d) A truck full of Communist prisoners.
5. How many times did De-hong's husband contact her during her six-month incarceration?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Governor's wives unable to bear children?
2. Why were De-hong and Wang Yu forced to "self-admonishment"?
3. What does Yu-Fang do to show her trust in the party that makes her very uncomfortable?
4. Why does Er-hong ask her father for a new name?
5. Why does De-hong refuse so many marriage proposals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home early from the opera?
2. What was the first thing that attracted General Xue's attention to Fang-Yu?
3. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
4. What is De-hong allowed to do to help the Communist movement?
5. Why does Wang Yu not allow his wife to be transferred to a larger hospital when she is giving birth while sick with tuberculosis?
6. Why does Dr. Xia give potions to all of the Governor's wives when he knows that the Governor is the one who is infertile.
7. Why does De-hong live in a different house than her husband?
8. How do Wang Yu and De-hong know each other before ever meeting each other?
9. What happened to the Japanese people who remained in China after they were defeated?
10. What happens to the man that Dr. Xia tries to treat with rice from the black market?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)