|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the people about the Communist siege?
(a) They are kind and want to rebuild the city.
(b) They unite with the Kuomintang officials.
(c) They are accepting of other religions and ideas.
(d) They are even more cruel than the Soviets had been.
2. What is De-hong's first impression of Wang Yu?
(a) He looks hard and cold.
(b) He has a powerful presence.
(c) He is dreamy and looks like a poet.
(d) He seems rigid in his beliefs but warm to comrades.
3. What is the party doing that is grating so heavily on De-hong's nerves while she is being questioned?
(a) Imposing unfair restrictions.
(b) Making demands of and suspecting people who are innocent.
(c) Giving Wang Yu power.
(d) Instating ridiculous safety measures.
4. What is Yu-lin studying to become?
(a) A chef.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A Communist.
(d) A doctor.
5. What causes Mao to have school children do eye strengthening exercises?
(a) He fears they will overburden themselves before they are of a more useful age.
(b) He wants the teachers to think he cares about the children.
(c) He sees too many children wearing glasses.
(d) He reads a study that says these exercises will increase intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does De-hong feel as though she has let Hui-ge down?
2. Why do Jun-ying and a maid move in with Fang-Yu?
3. What are the Chinese children doing while at school during the famine?
4. What did the vivid picture show that Yu-Fang told De-hong would be the consequence of lying?
5. Why does Er-hong ask her father for a new name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chang Shou-yu do as his first moment of putting his family ahead of his party?
2. How do Fang-Yu and Dr. Xia meet?
3. What does Jin-ming do at his boarding school that shows how truly attached he has become to his nurse?
4. How do Wang Yu and De-hong know each other before ever meeting each other?
5. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home early from the opera?
6. Why is Mao encouraging "intellectuals" to challenge their leaders?
7. What was the only valuable asset that Yang Ru-shan had to sell in order to gain the money he needed?
8. What did Chang Shou-yu do to show his growing love for his family that makes De-hong call him a "silly old thing"?
9. Why does Chang Shou-yu want to leave Yibin so soon?
10. What has Yu-Fang been so busy with while De-hong was being questioned?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)