|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dr. Xia give a man that led to his imprisonment and eventual death?
(b) Communist literature.
(c) Directions to a black market trading post.
(d) Rice from the black market.
2. Where are the people of China forced to eat during the famine?
(a) Outside their homes where people can see them.
(b) Communal kitchens.
(c) In the city center.
(d) In their homes at specific times.
3. What happens to De-hong's classmate when she is found with Communist literature?
(a) She is tortured to death.
(b) She is recruited to the Communist party.
(c) She is imprisoned.
(d) She is branded as a traitor and sentenced to death.
4. For what was Dr. Xia called to treat Yu-Fang?
(a) An opium addiction.
(b) A failed pregnancy.
(c) A broken leg from work in the field.
(d) A nervous breakdown.
5. How does Yu-Wu help the Communist movement?
(a) He hides Communist refugees.
(b) He leaks out secret information about the Kuomintang defense system.
(c) He poisons Kuomintang officials.
(d) He is posing as a Kuomintang officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so different about Yu-Fang and Dr. Xia's relationship frommost others of the time?
2. What does Er-hong do to avoid going to the nursery during the days.
3. Why does Er-hong ask her father for a new name?
4. What is the instrument called that Yu-Fang played so well for the General?
5. Why does Chang Shou-yu leave a sightseeing trip early?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wang Yu not allow his wife to be transferred to a larger hospital when she is giving birth while sick with tuberculosis?
2. Why was Yang Ru-shan in need of more money?
3. What has Yu-Fang been so busy with while De-hong was being questioned?
4. How does Dr. Xia's oldest son show his disdain for his father's new wife?
5. How do Fang-Yu and Dr. Xia meet?
6. What does Chang Shou-yu do as his first moment of putting his family ahead of his party?
7. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home early from the opera?
8. Why would a Japanese child deserve more respect than a Chinese man?
9. Why is Chang Shou-yu so willing to spend money on books and toys during the famine instead of the food they need?
10. How do De-hong and Wang Yu spend their wedding day?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)