|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Fang-Yu busy with while De-hong was being incarcerated?
(a) The sale of Dr. Xia's medical practice.
(b) A research project with Dr. Xia.
(c) Destroying all documents that would connect her with the Kuomintang.
(d) A long-needed vacation to air her lungs and return her health.
2. Why would a Chinese man have to bow to a Japanese child?
(a) It was part of the truce China had made with Japan long ago.
(b) The Chinese respected youth and vitality.
(c) Japan was in control of China and held a very cruel reign over them.
(d) It was a sign of prosperity and health between the nations.
3. What are the Chinese children doing while at school during the famine?
(a) Gathering and melting down scrap metal.
(b) Memorizing Communist creeds.
(c) Sitting and doing nothing to learn self-discipline.
(d) Working in the fields.
4. Why is Er-hong so interested in being helpful to everyone she meets?
(a) She feels pity for her aged grandmother.
(b) She feels loyalty to the party at an early age.
(c) She is taught that a helpful attitude will bring her love and prosperity.
(d) It is very popular to be helpful.
5. Why are Dr. Xia's children angry with the match between Yu-Fang and their father?
(a) They dissapprove of her former life as a concubine.
(b) They do not respect her family heritage.
(c) They are upset about the age difference.
(d) They are afraid Yu-Fang will take over their fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor do to honor Dr. Xia for his excellent treatments?
2. What does Wang Yu do during their journey that disillusions De-hong about their marriage?
3. Why is Xiao-hei so distant from his parents?
4. What does Mao do to "smoke out the dissidents"?
5. Why do De-hong and her husband have to walk to their new transfer site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Er-hong see while riding in her father's limo that makes her ashamed of her privileged life?
2. Why does Wang Yu not allow his wife to be transferred to a larger hospital when she is giving birth while sick with tuberculosis?
3. Why does Dr. Xia give potions to all of the Governor's wives when he knows that the Governor is the one who is infertile.
4. Why does De-hong help Miss Tanaka to remain in China when she is Japanese?
5. What happens to cause Dr. Xia to leave his children and his home?
6. What is De-hong allowed to do to help the Communist movement?
7. Why does Chang Shou-yu want to leave Yibin so soon?
8. Why does Er-hong get the wrong idea about children in the West?
9. Why was Yang Ru-shan's main duty in life to produce male heirs?
10. What happens to the man that Dr. Xia tries to treat with rice from the black market?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)