|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jung sleep while caring for her sick grandmother?
(a) Under her grandmother's hospital bed.
(b) In a hostel.
(c) In her own hospital bed.
(d) On the street.
2. What do Jung and her siblings take turns doing for months at a time while their parents are at a work farm?
(a) Attending college.
(b) Tending to their sick relatives.
(c) Taking sick leave.
(d) Visiting their parents.
3. How heavy was the load of pine straw that Jung was sure weighed 140 pounds?
(a) 140 pounds.
(b) 70 pounds.
(c) 5 pounds.
(d) 30 pounds.
4. Why is De-hong so afraid of having a poor speech given about her husband at his funeral?
(a) She wants him to be honored.
(b) It will forever reflect badly on her children.
(c) She is afraid she would have a breakdown.
(d) She feels she will be punished in the afterlife.
5. What was Mao's new idea about doctors?
(a) They are spreading anti-Mao propaganda.
(b) They need much more training than they are getting.
(c) They are of utmost importance in society.
(d) They do not need much training.
6. What is Yu-Fang forced to wear as she is brought down the streets by the rebels?
(a) A dunce hat.
(b) Heavy chains.
(c) The mark of a concubine.
7. What frustrates Jung about her university experience?
(a) Her teachers are disrespectful of Mao.
(b) She cannot keep up with her lessons.
(c) She spends so much time in military training.
(d) She is mocked for her family history.
8. Why does De-hong resign from work when Jung decides to stay in the West?
(a) She hopes to fill Jung's old teaching position.
(b) Xiao-fang falls ill and needs her attention.
(c) She fears judgment for having a daughter in the West.
(d) She wants time to visit with her daughter.
9. Why does De-hong not want her husband to mail a letter to Mao voicing his concerns?
(a) She knows it will label their children as Blacks.
(b) She wants the letter to be from both of them.
(c) She fears that he will be killed.
(d) She knows it will not do any good.
10. What are people labeled when their loyalty to the Communist cause is questioned?
(a) Gray or Black.
(b) White or Gray.
(c) Blue or Brown.
(d) Yellow or Red.
11. What was the special broadcast about on September 9, 1976?
(a) Communism was challenged.
(b) Japan had attacked Peking.
(c) Mao was dead.
(d) China was going to war.
12. What was Mao's goal in sending the middle school children to the country?
(a) Humility based thought reform.
(b) Thought reform through labor.
(c) Reform of thought through peasantry.
(d) Labor intensive training.
13. What does the doctor arrange for De-hong to have while she is sick with hepatitis?
(a) Fresh goat's milk.
(c) Opium for the pain.
(d) Visits from her husband.
14. From what does Chang Shou-yu suffer when he gets home from Peking after his incarceration?
(a) Yellow fever
15. For what is Chang Shou-yu taken to a hospital to be treated?
(b) Yellow fever.
(c) A venereal disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mao call for to help him feel secure in his power after the famine?
2. What does Yu-Fang do to prove that she is now accepting of her son-in-law after they are persecuted for un-Communistic behavior?
3. What does Chang Shou-yu look back on with regret near the end of his life?
4. Why were Jung and her classmates taken to a port city during one of their university classes?
5. What does Jung promise to deny herself to help assuage the guilt she feels about Yu-Fang's pain?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)