|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frustrates Jung about her university experience?
(a) She spends so much time in military training.
(b) Her teachers are disrespectful of Mao.
(c) She is mocked for her family history.
(d) She cannot keep up with her lessons.
2. What does Yu-Fang do to prove that she is now accepting of her son-in-law after they are persecuted for un-Communistic behavior?
(a) Writes him a letter expressing her thanks.
(b) Embraces him publicly.
(c) Tends to his wounds.
(d) Defends him at a denunciation meeting.
3. From what does Chang Shou-yu suffer when he gets home from Peking after his incarceration?
(a) Yellow fever
4. What does Jin-ming spend much of his time doing?
(a) Selling books on the black market.
(b) Beating down dissidents with the Red Guard.
(c) Selling his possessions to put food on the table.
(d) Reading contraband books.
5. What do Jung and her siblings take turns doing for months at a time while their parents are at a work farm?
(a) Attending college.
(b) Tending to their sick relatives.
(c) Visiting their parents.
(d) Taking sick leave.
6. Who allowed Mao's wife to gain so much power?
(a) The Tings.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
7. Where does Jung sleep while caring for her sick grandmother?
(a) Under her grandmother's hospital bed.
(b) In her own hospital bed.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) On the street.
8. What does De-hong do to the group of teachers that are accused of being subversives?
(a) Orders them to be released.
(b) Joins them against Mao.
(c) Makes them pledge to obey, and orders them to probation.
(d) Writes down their names and sends the list to Mao.
9. What causes American literature to suddenly be allowed?
(a) It is spread suddenly by the black market, and Mao knows he cannot stop it.
(b) Ignorance is seen as a form of unpatriotism.
(c) President Nixon visits China.
(d) Mao and the U.S. president make an alliance.
10. How many of De-hong's five children stay in China?
11. For what is Chang Shou-yu taken to a hospital to be treated?
(a) A venereal disease.
(d) Yellow fever.
12. What does twelve-year-old Xiao-hei do that is so different from other children of high officials?
(a) Goes to college.
(b) Speaks out against the Revolution.
(c) Joins a street gang.
(d) Buys and sells books on the black market.
13. Why do the students finally let De-hong on the train?
(a) She gives them the secret password,
(b) She shows a ticket signed by Mao.
(c) She says she is going to speak against the Tings.
(d) She pays them.
14. Why is De-hong so afraid of having a poor speech given about her husband at his funeral?
(a) She feels she will be punished in the afterlife.
(b) She is afraid she would have a breakdown.
(c) It will forever reflect badly on her children.
(d) She wants him to be honored.
15. How old is Xiao-fang when he finally receives his first schooling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mao's new idea about doctors?
2. Why don't Er-hong's parents answer her questions about the political turmoil happening?
3. What do the doctors find when De-hong is hospitalized for hemorrhaging?
4. How heavy was the load of pine straw that Jung was sure weighed 140 pounds?
5. Of what is Mao afraid?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)