|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the Red Guard to hesitate in continuing their violent tactics?
(a) One of them was accidentally killed.
(b) Some of their parents were ashamed.
(c) One of the members commited suicide.
(d) Mao made a law with which they disagreed.
2. What is the term that describes a doctor that works alongside the peasants?
(a) Doctor of the People.
(c) Simple Healer.
(d) Barefoot Doctor.
3. What does Mao call for to help him feel secure in his power after the famine?
(a) Harsher punishments on traitors.
(b) Stringent laws against novels and plays.
(c) Another list of dissidents.
(d) More food for the people.
4. What do the doctors find when De-hong is hospitalized for hemorrhaging?
(a) A veneral disease.
(b) A serious skin disease.
(d) Yellow fever.
5. What causes Jung to reflect on Mao's unfair treatment of the people while on vacation with her sister?
(a) A picture of oneof his vacation homes.
(b) She reads an article in Newsweek.
(c) She watches an uncle die of starvation.
(d) She sees him beat a poor farmer.
6. Who helped Jung get back on the train on her trip home from Peking?
(b) Another Red Guard student.
(c) A pickpocket.
7. Why was De-hong allowed to leave prison for a short time?
(a) To testify in behalf of her husband.
(b) To sit with her mother in her dying moments.
(c) To care for Jung while she was sick.
(d) To help with the rice harvest.
8. What was Mao's new idea about doctors?
(a) They need much more training than they are getting.
(b) They are spreading anti-Mao propaganda.
(c) They do not need much training.
(d) They are of utmost importance in society.
9. Why does De-hong not want her husband to mail a letter to Mao voicing his concerns?
(a) She wants the letter to be from both of them.
(b) She knows it will label their children as Blacks.
(c) She fears that he will be killed.
(d) She knows it will not do any good.
10. What do the Chinese military leaders do in an effort to stop all the violence of the Red Guard and the other Maoist factions?
(a) Write peaceful articles in the newspaper.
(b) Drop pamphlets from ths sky.
(c) Punish severely those who are caught doing violent acts.
(d) Hold public prayer meetings.
11. What was the special broadcast about on September 9, 1976?
(a) Japan had attacked Peking.
(b) Mao was dead.
(c) Communism was challenged.
(d) China was going to war.
12. Why is De-hong imprisoned again?
(a) She threw away a newspaper.
(b) For her husband's insubordinance.
(c) For her past Kuomintang connections.
(d) She was heard denouncing Mao in public.
13. What is the name that Mao gave his group of young followers?
(a) Followers of Mao.
(b) Children of the Tiger.
(c) The Communist Children.
(d) The Red Guards.
14. Where does Jung sleep while caring for her sick grandmother?
(a) Under her grandmother's hospital bed.
(b) On the street.
(c) In her own hospital bed.
(d) In a hostel.
15. What does twelve-year-old Xiao-hei do that is so different from other children of high officials?
(a) Buys and sells books on the black market.
(b) Speaks out against the Revolution.
(c) Joins a street gang.
(d) Goes to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mao's goal in sending the middle school children to the country?
2. What allows Jung the power to challenge Mao in her mind for the first time?
3. Why does Jung have to rush to get back on a train during her trip to Peking?
4. What frustrates Jung about her university experience?
5. Why does the man at the teahouse not leave while it is being torn apart?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)