|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does De-hong refuse so many marriage proposals?
(a) She has decided to give her life over to God.
(b) She wants to marry for love.
(c) She does not want to bring a child into such a cruel world.
(d) She does not feel worthy of any man's love.
2. What does Dr. Xia's son do to convince Yu-Fang and him to move out?
(a) He beats his father senseless.
(b) He pushes De-hong down a dry well.
(c) He attacks Yu-Fang.
(d) He threatens to kill himself.
3. What is the Chinese dream according to Wang Yu?
(a) To leave home penniless and return home robed in embroidered silk.
(b) To find a loving wife and a happy home.
(c) To bring happiness and wealth to one's family and village.
(d) To gain power and authority.
4. What is the instrument called that Yu-Fang played so well for the General?
5. How many concubines does the governor have?
6. What does Chang Shou-yu do that finally puts his love above his party?
(a) He warns De-hong of a trap.
(b) He hides his family during a party raid.
(c) He rescues his mother-in-law from interrogators.
(d) He allows her to ride a litter to the hospital when she is ill.
7. What is Yu-lin studying to become?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A chef.
(d) A Communist.
8. Why are Dr. Xia's children angry with the match between Yu-Fang and their father?
(a) They dissapprove of her former life as a concubine.
(b) They are afraid Yu-Fang will take over their fortune.
(c) They do not respect her family heritage.
(d) They are upset about the age difference.
9. Why does De-hong feel as though she has let Hui-ge down?
(a) She cannot stop his execution.
(b) She let him believe she cared for him.
(c) She could not deliver a message he tried to send to his family.
(d) He was wrongly accused, and no one would believe the truth that De Hong knew.
10. Where did De-hong see Wang Yu before actually meeting him?
(a) In a crowded Communist rally.
(b) At the celebration feast for the Communist victory.
(c) In a secret meeting of officials.
(d) On a wanted poster.
11. Why was Yu-Fang's father so desperate for money?
(a) His wife was ill and needed treatment.
(b) His farm was about to be re-possessed.
(c) His last crop had been a poor one, and he was starving.
(d) He wanted a concubine of his own.
12. Who helps a pregnant De-hong hide while they are on a raid?
(a) A Kuomingtang chieftain.
(b) A local farmer.
(c) Another pregnant woman.
(d) A Communist comrade.
13. Why do De-hong and her husband have to walk to their new transfer site?
(a) It is a form of civil protest.
(b) The train rails are broken.
(c) They are conserving fuel.
(d) They will attract less attention this way.
14. What is one thing that Chang Shou-yu will NOT let his children do in order to teach them ethic responsibility?
(a) Sit in front of teachers at performances or movies.
(b) Look their elders in the eyes.
(c) Read newspapers.
(d) Talk about Western propoganda.
15. What has Er-hong been taught about the children in the Western countries?
(a) They are cruel and vicious.
(b) They are trying to invade China and take over.
(c) They are just the same as Chinese people.
(d) They are deprived and starving.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pei-o die?
2. What were the first words De-hong spoke when she woke up in the hospital?
3. What does Yu-Fang do to pass the time in her loneliness?
4. Who died four days after 'the third swan' was born?
5. How old was Wang Yu when his father died?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)