|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home?
(a) He was fearful of what the Communist leaders would think.
(b) It was against customs to leave a performance early.
(c) He did not want her to travel alone with another man.
(d) The driver was enjoying the opera.
2. What is De-hong's chief job at the Public Affairs Department?
(a) To swear people into office.
(b) To allot new homes and estates to new citizens.
(c) To feed the people.
(d) To submit paperwork for new names of the people.
3. What did De-hong think was the most delicious treat from her father?
(a) Rice and oranges.
(b) Shaved and flavored ice.
(c) Rice candy.
(d) Plain wheat rolls.
4. How old was Wang Yu when his father died?
5. What was Er -hong's reaction when De-hong visited her at her boarding school?
(a) She spat in her face and ran away to her teacher.
(b) She was afraid to let go of her hand.
(c) She refused to acknowledge her as her mother.
(d) She gave her a note she had written expressing her fears.
6. Why would a widowed woman kill herself before being married to a second husband?
(a) It was a sign of dishonor.
(b) She would be cursed in the afterlife.
(c) It was the custom of the time.
(d) She feared being cut in half as a result of having two men lay claim to her.
7. What did the letter to Yu-Fang from General Xue's wife say?
(a) It ordered her to leave the house the General had given her.
(b) It was a summons for her to come work in the fields of labor at the Xue plantations.
(c) It berated her for her hateful ways and dishonored her family.
(d) It was a legal order for her to give any future children to the Xue household.
8. Why does Wang Yu's sister take over the care for De-hong's daughter?
(a) De-hong is too involved in her work.
(b) De-hong hits her child.
(c) She feels a deep spiritual connection with the baby.
(d) She is barren and begs for the priviledge to care for a child.
9. What does Yu-Fang do to pass the time in her loneliness?
(a) Reads and plays Mah Jong.
(b) Writes love letters to her General.
(c) Visits with her family.
(d) Holds parties at her home.
10. What surprises the people about the Communist siege?
(a) They are accepting of other religions and ideas.
(b) They are kind and want to rebuild the city.
(c) They unite with the Kuomintang officials.
(d) They are even more cruel than the Soviets had been.
11. Why does Er-hong ask her father for a new name?
(a) It is popular to have a name change at this age.
(b) She is being made fun of at school.
(c) She wants her name to mean something more than swan.
(d) She wants something that sounds more militant.
12. What are the Chinese children doing while at school during the famine?
(a) Gathering and melting down scrap metal.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Sitting and doing nothing to learn self-discipline.
(d) Memorizing Communist creeds.
13. How does Hui-ge accidentally cripple his own regiment?
(a) De-hong hides detonators in his vehicle that are picked up by Communist officers.
(b) He leaks information about the Kuomintang defense system.
(c) He leaves secret documents out where De Hong can see them.
(d) He gives faulty Communist information to his leaders.
14. Why is De-hong's wet nurses husband in jail?
(a) He was an opium dealer.
(b) He was caught spreading anti-Communist literature.
(c) He was an old Kuomintang officer.
(d) He let his wife bathe in warm water.
15. How does Pei-o die?
(a) He starves.
(b) He is hung in a public trial.
(c) He falls ill while working in the prison.
(d) He dies in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did De-hong see Wang Yu before actually meeting him?
2. What does Chang Shou-yu overhear in a conversation that he is torn about reporting?
3. Where does De-hong's family move to be better protected from the military looting?
4. What happened to the Japanese people who remained in China after they had been defeated?
5. What was Yang Ru-shan's main duty in life?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)