|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Xia's oldest son do after his father beats him for being disrespectful about Yu-Fang?
(a) Spreads rumors throughout the town about Yu-Fang having a venereal disease.
(b) Shoots himself in the stomach.
(c) Runs away, never to be heard from again.
(d) Legally removes himself from his father's family lineage.
2. What was Er -hong's reaction when De-hong visited her at her boarding school?
(a) She was afraid to let go of her hand.
(b) She spat in her face and ran away to her teacher.
(c) She refused to acknowledge her as her mother.
(d) She gave her a note she had written expressing her fears.
3. Why does De-hong feel as though she has let Hui-ge down?
(a) She cannot stop his execution.
(b) She could not deliver a message he tried to send to his family.
(c) He was wrongly accused, and no one would believe the truth that De Hong knew.
(d) She let him believe she cared for him.
4. What crashes into De-hong's house?
(a) A car with Kuomintang officers inside.
(b) A truck full of Communist prisoners.
(c) A military jeep.
(d) A dud bomb shell.
5. Why does Wang Yu refuse to let De-hong have the driver take her home?
(a) He did not want her to travel alone with another man.
(b) The driver was enjoying the opera.
(c) It was against customs to leave a performance early.
(d) He was fearful of what the Communist leaders would think.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are De-hong and Wang Yu separated when he is transferred to Yibin?
2. Why would a widowed woman kill herself before being married to a second husband?
3. Why would a Chinese man have to bow to a Japanese child?
4. Why does Wang Yu's sister take over the care for De-hong's daughter?
5. Where does De-hong's family move to be better protected from the military looting?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)