|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would a widowed woman kill herself before being married to a second husband?
(a) It was a sign of dishonor.
(b) It was the custom of the time.
(c) She would be cursed in the afterlife.
(d) She feared being cut in half as a result of having two men lay claim to her.
2. Why does De-hong refuse so many marriage proposals?
(a) She does not feel worthy of any man's love.
(b) She has decided to give her life over to God.
(c) She does not want to bring a child into such a cruel world.
(d) She wants to marry for love.
3. What did the letter to Yu-Fang from General Xue's wife say?
(a) It was a legal order for her to give any future children to the Xue household.
(b) It berated her for her hateful ways and dishonored her family.
(c) It ordered her to leave the house the General had given her.
(d) It was a summons for her to come work in the fields of labor at the Xue plantations.
4. What is Yu-lin studying to become?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A chef.
(d) A teacher.
5. What does Dr. Xia's oldest son do after his father beats him for being disrespectful about Yu-Fang?
(a) Runs away, never to be heard from again.
(b) Spreads rumors throughout the town about Yu-Fang having a venereal disease.
(c) Shoots himself in the stomach.
(d) Legally removes himself from his father's family lineage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yu-Fang do to pass the time in her loneliness?
2. Why did Dr. Xia's son have to run away, never to be heard from again?
3. What does Chang Shou-yu NOT allow at the funeral?
4. Why does Chang Shou-yu refuse to send his pregnant sick wife to a larger hospital?
5. How did the Kuomintang view the Chinese people?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)