|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Peter tricked into stopping the car?
2. After he is hit, where does he try to go?
3. Who does Peter meet there?
4. Who is Atlas?
5. What question is answered by the terrorists' choice of destinations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does Peter tell Magda when he returns and what is her response?
2. According to the demands Ingrid makes, when are the men to be released and what is significant about the timing?
3. When Peter meets Ingrid face to face, he tries to ask her questions which she refuses to answer. How does Peter manage to get the answers he wants anyway?
4. How does the British government respond to Ingrid's reaction?
5. Magda is devastated when she is mistaken told Peter is dead. How does she behave when she realizes he is not?
6. Like the rest of the terrorists, Ingrid is having problems. What are they and why?
7. After the South African police force is asked to pull back, the terrorists make contact a second time. What do they tell Peter that deeply affects him and why?
8. South Africa does not want to give in to the terrorists demands. What issues make them reluctant to do so?
9. Peter's career is ended by his decision to disobey Parker. How does he feel about it?
10. What makes the Captain think that this is a carefully planned operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter suspects Magda of being Caliph on more than one occasion. What prompts him to have those suspicions? What events are attributed to her and why? Who fosters and fuels these suspicions and what do they hope to gain in the process?
Essay Topic 2
What position is Peter offered finally? Who has told him he would be ideal for the job in the past? Why does Magda's hail to the new position bother Peter and what does he ask of her? How does Peter see this position and what is it that inspires him to accept it? Who brings him the news and takes his answer back to those who offered the position?
Essay Topic 3
What position does Colin Noble have in this story? How can he be considered both a bad guy and a good guy? What events take him from hero to zero and back again in Peter's eyes?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)