|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many feet below was the water of Crater Lake from Cheryl when she first viewed it from the rim in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
2. Where did Christine tell Cheryl she and her husband live in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
3. Where was the Rainbow Gathering supposed to be, according to Rex in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
4. How much money did Cheryl find in her resupply box at Olallie Lake Resort in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
5. where did Cheryl go with Lisa and the others during her visit in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angry thoughts does Chery reveal regarding her mother in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
2. What discovery does Cheryl make in Cassel in Chapter 12: “This Far”? What action does Cheryl take in light of the discovery?
3. Who is the reporter that Cheryl encounters in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”? What happens during their exchange?
4. Where does Cheryl travel on the PCT in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”? What destination does she reach?
5. Why does Cheryl become uncomfortable around the hunters in Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear”?
6. Who gives Cheryl the nickname "Queen of the PCT"? Why?
7. Where does Cheryl pick up her resupply box in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”? Who does she encounter in this town?
8. What realization does Cheryl reach regarding her father in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
9. What historical and geological information about Crater Lake is related in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
10. How does Cheryl respond to the situation when she discovers the water tank empty after crossing Hat Creek Rim in Chapter 12: "This Far"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of friendship and human connection in Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. How does Cheryl evolve in her relationships as a result of her experiences on the trail? In what ways do Cheryl’s perceptions of men and women transform as she meets and befriends fellow hikers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Cheryl’s encounters with Greg, Albert, and Matt in the narrative. Although Cheryl had previously encountered people, these were the first of the PCT hikers she had met on her journey. How did Cheryl relate to these people? How did her interactions with them help her to build confidence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, geography, and physical demands of the Pacific Crest Trail. When was the trail built? How many miles long is the PCT? Where does the PCT begin and end? What mountain ranges does the PCT traverse? How much of the trail did Cheryl Strayed travel?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)