|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lou's husky in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”?
2. Whose death did Cheryl hear about as she arrived in Ashland in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
3. How much money did Cheryl find in her resupply box at Olallie Lake Resort in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
4. At what time did Cheryl leave Castle Crags in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
5. How old was Lou's son when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream keeps recurring for Cheryl in Chapter 14: “Wild”? What does she make of the dream?
2. What discovery does Cheryl make in Cassel in Chapter 12: “This Far”? What action does Cheryl take in light of the discovery?
3. What does Cheryl do after she has hitchhiked to Old Station in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”?
4. Describe Cheryl's mindset in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear.” How has Cheryl changed mentally and physically at this point in the journey?
5. What happens during Cheryl's day on the beach in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
6. What historical and geological information about Crater Lake is related in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
7. Where does Cheryl pick up her resupply box in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”? Who does she encounter in this town?
8. Who is the reporter that Cheryl encounters in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”? What happens during their exchange?
9. What happens when Cheryl attempts to camp before setting out on the PCT in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
10. What is Cheryl's mindset like as she continues along her journey in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cheryl’s relationship with Joe as described in the narrative. In what ways did Joe differ from Cheryl’s husband Paul? Where did Cheryl meet Joe? How did their relationship develop? How did Cheryl’s relationship with Joe influence her decision to hike the PCT?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of intimacy in the narrative. Cheryl discusses her propensity toward adultery that occurred following her mother’s death. In what ways does Cheryl’s desire for sex relate to her desire for human connection? How does Cheryl change in this regard over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Cheryl’s encounters with Greg, Albert, and Matt in the narrative. Although Cheryl had previously encountered people, these were the first of the PCT hikers she had met on her journey. How did Cheryl relate to these people? How did her interactions with them help her to build confidence?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)