|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Catherine Montgomery from?
2. What was the trail name that Rick, Josh, and Richie had in the narrative?
3. What did Susanna insist on doing for Cheryl in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
4. Who does Cheryl describe in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT” as "hilarious and a little bit strange, with a dark edge of mystery"?
5. Where were Rick, Josh, and Richie planning to get off the trail and spend a few days to visit friends and family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the reporter that Cheryl encounters in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”? What happens during their exchange?
2. Who gives Cheryl the nickname "Queen of the PCT"? Why?
3. What realization does Cheryl reach regarding her father in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
4. What happens when Cheryl attempts to camp before setting out on the PCT in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
5. How does Cheryl respond to the situation when she discovers the water tank empty after crossing Hat Creek Rim in Chapter 12: "This Far"?
6. Where does Cheryl travel on the PCT in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”? What destination does she reach?
7. What angry thoughts does Chery reveal regarding her mother in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
8. What does Cheryl learn during her overnight stay at camp in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”?
9. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”? Who is Lou?
10. How is the weather described in the beginning of Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”? How is Cheryl's mindset as she approaches the end of her journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of hope in Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. What are some of the symbols used in the story to establish this theme? What gives Cheryl hope as she continues on her journey throughout the book? How is the theme related in the ending of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of grief in Wild. How has Cheryl’s grief over the loss of her mother affected her as a person? How has it influenced Cheryl’s actions? What else does Cheryl grieve over as she begins her journey in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Cheryl’s encounter with Frank, Walter, and Carlos in the reading. What were Frank, Walter, and Carlos doing when Cheryl found them? What fears did Cheryl face as she sat in Frank’s truck? Were these fears well-founded?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)