|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state was Cheryl in as she stood atop the mountain in the Prologue?
2. The father and son that gave Cheryl a ride from Mojave to the PCT were from a suburb of what city?
3. Why did Bud tell Cheryl he gave her the only room at the motel in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
4. What animal's tracks did Cheryl spot after leaving Golden Oak Springs in Chapter 5: “Tracks”?
5. How many times had Cheryl been backpacking previously when she set out to journey the PCT?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism is revealed to be connected to the feather that Cheryl carries in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
2. What information does Cheryl learn during her detour in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
3. What encounters with animals does Cheryl describe along her journey in Chapter 5: “Tracks”? What realizations do these encounters lead her to?
4. How does Cheryl describe her past relationship with Joe in Chapter 4: “The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume I: California”?
5. How does the author introduce herself and her mindset regarding her journey in the memoir's Prologue?
6. Where does Cheryl's hike of the PCT begin? What thoughts does Cheryl have upon arriving at her starting point in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
7. What memories of Cheryl's divorce are shared with the reader in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
8. What invitation is extended to Cheryl from Doug and Tom in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”? How does Cheryl respond?
9. Who does Cheryl encounter when she arrives at Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
10. What are the "last-minute" items that Cheryl remembers to bring as she sets out in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What books did Cheryl choose to bring with her for her journey? How does she describe the importance of each of these books? What did Cheryl do to the books as she completed them? Why? How did Cheryl obtain more books and what were they?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Kennedy Meadows in California and discuss the origin and history of “trail angels” along the PCT. What are trail angels? What do they do to assist hikers? How many miles had Cheryl hiked when she reached Kennedy Meadows? What is the terrain like in this area?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the oversights that Cheryl made when preparing for her trip. What are some oversights Cheryl made when packing her supplies? How might Cheryl have prevented some of the conflicts in the narrative?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)