|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of As I Lay Dying, which Cheryl brought on her hike?
2. In what year was the Pacific Crest trail completed and officially dedicated?
3. How long before Cheryl set out to hike the PCT was her divorce settled?
4. What establishment did Cheryl spend the night at in Mojave in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
5. What is the name of Cheryl's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Cheryl's mindset as she returns to the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
2. How does the author describe her position as a woman on the trail in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
3. What revelations about herself does Cheryl have while looking into the mirror before setting out for the PCT in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
4. When does Cheryl stop hiking on her first day on the PCT in Chapter 4: “The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume I: California”? What are her thoughts as she camps?
5. How does the author introduce herself and her mindset regarding her journey in the memoir's Prologue?
6. Where is the author in the Prologue of the memoir? What action takes place in the Prologue?
7. Where did Cheryl go before she left Minnesota for her hike? What did she do here, according to the narrative in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
8. What happens when Cheryl goes to lift her backpack and set out on the hike in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
9. What is revealed of Cheryl's past in the flashback to the Mayo Clinic in Chapter 1: “The Ten Thousand Things”?
10. Who does Cheryl encounter when she arrives at Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genres of memoir and Bildungsroman. How does the term “Bildungsroman” relate to the narrative of Wild? How do literary devices such as theme, plot structure, imagery, metaphor, and symbolism apply to this genre? How do memoirs vary in terms of how they are related and how they are structured?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of grief in Wild. How has Cheryl’s grief over the loss of her mother affected her as a person? How has it influenced Cheryl’s actions? What else does Cheryl grieve over as she begins her journey in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Cheryl’s flashback and discussion of James Michener when she meets Christine and Jeff in Chapter 10: “Range of Light.” Why did Cheryl disregard and insult her mother’s love of Michener? Why did Cheryl choose a Michener book from Jeff’s collection? What does this action symbolize in the narrative?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)