|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to the death of Cheryl's mother?
2. What year was it when Cheryl Strayed hiked the PCT?
3. How long before Cheryl set out to hike the PCT was her divorce settled?
4. Who did Cheryl receive a postcard from when the picked up her supply pack in Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
5. What mountains does Chery describe to the west of Mojave in Chapter 2: "Splitting"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Cheryl's mindset as she returns to the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
2. What obstacles are presented for Cheryl as she makes her way along the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
3. What revelations about herself does Cheryl have while looking into the mirror before setting out for the PCT in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
4. What symbolism is revealed to be connected to the feather that Cheryl carries in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
5. What items does Cheryl describe that she has brought for her journey in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
6. How does Cheryl's encounter with Greg influence her mindset on the trail in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
7. What are the "last-minute" items that Cheryl remembers to bring as she sets out in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
8. What book inspired Cheryl's journey? Where did Cheryl first encounter this book?
9. How long does it take Cheryl to reach Golden Oak Springs? How much time does she spend there in Chapter 5: “Tracks”?
10. What information does Cheryl learn during her detour in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of isolation in the memoir. In what ways did Cheryl feel isolated in her everyday life before she set out to hike the PCT? How does the isolation that Cheryl experienced on the trail compare with her isolation within society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genres of memoir and Bildungsroman. How does the term “Bildungsroman” relate to the narrative of Wild? How do literary devices such as theme, plot structure, imagery, metaphor, and symbolism apply to this genre? How do memoirs vary in terms of how they are related and how they are structured?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of hope in Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. What are some of the symbols used in the story to establish this theme? What gives Cheryl hope as she continues on her journey throughout the book? How is the theme related in the ending of the narrative?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)