|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Lisa's boyfriend who came with her to see Cheryl at Olallie in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
2. Who is the author of Waiting for the Barbarians?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Cynthia Shepherd.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) J. M. Coetzee.
3. How many miles from Crater Lake did Cheryl have to go to get to Shelter Cove Resort in Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear”?
4. Who did the ranger at Olallie Lake say had told him about Cheryl in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
(a) Rex and Stacy.
(b) Tracy and Andrew.
(c) Doug and Tom.
(d) Sam and Helen.
5. Mount Mazama is said to have reached an elevations of about what, according to the author in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
(a) 12,000 feet.
(b) 11,000 feet.
(c) 10,000 feet.
(d) 14,500 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lou's husky in Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”?
2. How high is the elevation of Broken Top Mountain, the South Sister of the Three Sisters?
3. What animal came crashing through the bushes and onto the trail by Cheryl in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
4. What do Francisco's friends call him as a nickname in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
5. What name was on Cheryl's bracelet that she lost in the brush in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheryl learn during her overnight stay at camp in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”?
2. What dream keeps recurring for Cheryl in Chapter 14: “Wild”? What does she make of the dream?
3. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 11: “The Lou Out of Lou”? Who is Lou?
4. Who gives Cheryl the nickname "Queen of the PCT"? Why?
5. How is the weather described in the beginning of Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”? How is Cheryl's mindset as she approaches the end of her journey?
6. What does Cheryl encounter when she arrives at Olallie Lake in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
7. What leads Cheryl to contemplate Eddie in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”? What are her thoughts on Eddie?
8. Where does Cheryl travel on the PCT in Chapter 13: “The Accumulation of Trees”? What destination does she reach?
9. What angry thoughts does Chery reveal regarding her mother in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
10. What observations does Cheryl make of her body in the beginning of Chapter 12: “This Far”?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)