|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much water did Cheryl take with her to make it to Hat Creek Rim as she set out on the trail in Chapter 12: “This Far”?
(a) 5 gallons.
(b) 64 ounces.
(c) 3 gallons.
(d) 32 ounces.
2. What did Susanna insist on doing for Cheryl in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
(a) Buying her a meal.
(b) Giving her a ride.
(c) Giving her a place to spend the night.
(d) Massaging her feet.
3. What was the trail name that Rick, Josh, and Richie had in the narrative?
(a) The Three Young Bucks.
(b) The Astronauts.
(c) The Ivy League Team.
(d) The Three Amigos.
4. When did Clinton Churchill Clarke die?
5. What new book did Cheryl begin reading in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
(a) The Best American Essays 1991.
(b) The Ten Thousand Things.
(c) The Pacific Crest Trail: Part I: California.
(d) The Dream of a Common Language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Christine's husband in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
2. At what time did Cheryl leave Castle Crags in Chapter 14: “Wild”?
3. What lake does Shelter Cove Resort sit on the banks of?
4. Crater Lake's depth is more than how many feet?
5. How much money did Cheryl find in her resupply box at Olallie Lake Resort in Chapter 18: “Queen of the PCT”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cheryl become uncomfortable around the hunters in Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear”?
2. What fellow hikers does Cheryl meet at Shelter Cove Resort in Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear”? How are they described?
3. What discoveries does Cheryl make upon arriving in Ashland, Oregon, in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”?
4. Where does Cheryl pick up her resupply box in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”? Who does she encounter in this town?
5. What happens when Cheryl attempts to camp before setting out on the PCT in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”?
6. What leads Cheryl to contemplate Eddie in Chapter 10: “Range of Light”? What are her thoughts on Eddie?
7. What positive feelings about her mother does Cheryl reveal in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
8. Where does Cheryl meet a romantic interest in Chapter 15: “Box of Rain”? Who is this individual?
9. Describe Cheryl's mindset in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Into a Primal Gear.” How has Cheryl changed mentally and physically at this point in the journey?
10. What historical and geological information about Crater Lake is related in Chapter 16: “Mazama”?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)