|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What led to the death of Cheryl's mother?
(a) Breast cancer.
(b) Lung cancer.
2. What is the total distance of the Pacific Crest Trail?
(a) 680 miles.
(b) 3,240 miles.
(c) 2,663 miles.
(d) 1,100 miles.
3. Who is the author of The Dream of a Common Language?
(a) Adrienne Rich.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Henry O'Neill.
(d) Walt Whitman.
4. What is the name of Cheryl's brother?
5. Where were the father and son going to attend a graduation ceremony when they agreed to give Cheryl a ride from Mojave to the PCT?
(a) San Luis Obispo.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cheryl and Doug find a campground two miles down from Trail Pass Trail in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
2. What is the name of Cheryl's sister?
3. What state was Cheryl in as she stood atop the mountain in the Prologue?
4. What establishment did Cheryl spend the night at in Mojave in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
5. Where had Cheryl originally intended to end her hike of the PCT?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Cheryl's mindset as she returns to the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
2. What are Cheryl's initial thoughts about facing snow in the High Sierras in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
3. Where does Cheryl's hike of the PCT begin? What thoughts does Cheryl have upon arriving at her starting point in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
4. What memories of Cheryl's divorce are shared with the reader in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
5. What causes Cheryl to leave the PCT in Chapter 5: “Tracks”? Where does she go when she departs from the trail?
6. What obstacles are presented for Cheryl as she makes her way along the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
7. What is revealed of Cheryl's past in the flashback to the Mayo Clinic in Chapter 1: “The Ten Thousand Things”?
8. What book inspired Cheryl's journey? Where did Cheryl first encounter this book?
9. How does the author introduce herself and her mindset regarding her journey in the memoir's Prologue?
10. What revelations about herself does Cheryl have while looking into the mirror before setting out for the PCT in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)