|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Cheryl give to her hiking backpack?
2. The woman in Reno told Cheryl that "corvidology" is the study of what?
(a) Rocks and minerals.
(c) Crows and ravens.
3. How many days was Cheryl on the PCT before she reached Golden Oak Springs in Chapter 5: “Tracks”?
4. What is the title of the poem that Cheryl read to herself over and over on her first night camping on the trail in Chapter 4: “The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume I: California”?
(c) The Road to Peace.
(d) Love and Laughter.
5. What is the title of Part Three of the memoir?
(a) The Ten Thousand Things.
(b) Range of Light.
(d) Box of Rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did Cheryl have a moving encounter with in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
2. What is the name of the restaurant that Cheryl describes in Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
3. What shape are the small metal PCT markers that appear periodically along the trail?
4. What does "Sierra Nevada" mean in Spanish?
5. What item did Cheryl take from the "PCT Hiker Free Box" in Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Cheryl's initial thoughts about facing snow in the High Sierras in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
2. Where is the author in the Prologue of the memoir? What action takes place in the Prologue?
3. What encounters with animals does Cheryl describe along her journey in Chapter 5: “Tracks”? What realizations do these encounters lead her to?
4. Where did Cheryl go before she left Minnesota for her hike? What did she do here, according to the narrative in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
5. What internal and external conflicts are presented for Cheryl in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
6. Where does Cheryl's hike of the PCT begin? What thoughts does Cheryl have upon arriving at her starting point in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
7. What symbolism is revealed to be connected to the feather that Cheryl carries in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
8. What items does Cheryl describe that she has brought for her journey in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
9. Describe Cheryl's encounter with the fox in Chapter 9: “Staying Found.” What inner emotions are revealed in this excerpt of the memoir?
10. What happens when Cheryl goes to lift her backpack and set out on the hike in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)