|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug did Cheryl develop a problem with while she was seeing Joe?
2. What animal did Cheryl have a moving encounter with in Chapter 9: “Staying Found”?
(a) A fox.
(b) A bear.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A raccoon.
3. What is the elevation of Kennedy Meadows?
(a) 6,200 feet.
(b) 9,322 feet.
(c) 3,455 feet.
(d) 5,900 feet.
4. Where was Cheryl's first supply stop on the PCT?
(a) Castle Crags.
(b) Mount Shasta.
(c) Kennedy Meadows.
(d) Iron Gate Reservoir.
5. Who is the author of The Dream of a Common Language?
(a) Henry O'Neill.
(b) Adrienne Rich.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Walt Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the highest peak in the contiguous United States?
2. How old was Cheryl's mother when she died?
3. What did the skiers respond when Cheryl shouted to them from the PCT in Chapter 9: “Staying Found,” "WHERE ARE WE?"
4. What is the name of the restaurant that Cheryl describes in Kennedy Meadows in Chapter 7: “The Only Girl in the Woods”?
5. What is the name of Cheryl's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories of Cheryl's marriage are shared with the reader in Chapter 2: “Splitting”?
2. What information does Cheryl learn during her detour in Chapter 6: “A Bull in Both Directions”?
3. What internal and external conflicts are presented for Cheryl in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”?
4. What invitation is extended to Cheryl from Doug and Tom in Chapter 8: “Corvidology”? How does Cheryl respond?
5. Where is the author in the Prologue of the memoir? What action takes place in the Prologue?
6. What book inspired Cheryl's journey? Where did Cheryl first encounter this book?
7. When does Cheryl stop hiking on her first day on the PCT in Chapter 4: “The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume I: California”? What are her thoughts as she camps?
8. What items does Cheryl describe that she has brought for her journey in Chapter 3: “Hunching in a Remotely Upright Position”?
9. How does Cheryl describe her past relationship with Joe in Chapter 4: “The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume I: California”?
10. How does Cheryl describe her early childhood and her biological father in Chapter 1: “The Ten Thousand Things”?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)