Prologue and Chapter 1: “The Ten Thousand Things”
• In the Prologue of Wild, author Cheryl Strayed describes standing on the top of a mountain in northern California.
• Having just lost one hiking boot down the mountain, she throws the other boot over as well.
• Cheryl thinks about how, before hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) - a continuous wilderness trail that spans California, Oregon and Washington - only 7 months earlier, she was throwing her life over the edge as well.
• Chapter 1: “The Ten Thousand Things” begins with Cheryl thinking about what led her to make the decision to do the three-month solo hike of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT); Cheryl’s decision to hike the PCT began many years before when she learned that her mother was going to die.
• Cheryl takes the reader back several years to when she was in the Mayo Clinic with her mother and...
This section contains 3,449 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)