|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clara agree to return with her uncle?
2. What does Clara trust will mend the wound between her and Pleyel?
3. How is Theodore related to Clara?
4. With whom does Carwin avoid contact when he comes back to America?
5. Why does Clara stop at at Mrs. Baynton's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Clara heads towards home, what does she receive at Mrs. Baynton's?
2. Since Clara is desperate from the loss of affection from Pleyel, why does she rush home to see Carwin, and why does she not have him arrested?
3. What does Clara's uncle tell her about Carwin and the killer?
4. How is Carwin described in the newspaper?
5. How does Theodore Wieland, Clara's brother, admit his guilt upfront and explain the reason for his murder?
6. When Carwin hears Judith's glowing tribute to Clara, how does he test it out?
7. When Clara enters her house to get her diary, what does she experience, and who arrives?
8. Upon seeing Clara in the room with the dead body, what does Wieland say and do?
9. When Clara wishes to see Wieland once more, what is Cambridge forced to admit?
10. How do Clara and Pleyel reunite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist is written primarily in the third-person point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Through Clara, Brown offers a lens to view the actions of Wieland and others. Describe what Clara observes in Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist . Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that Brown discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appears throughout Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)