|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been caught according to Thomas?
2. What does Clara drop that Wieland seizes and uses to hurt himself?
3. Where does Clara go to meet Carwin as he requested at eleven o'clock?
4. What happens when Theodore goes to Clara's house?
5. Whose death does Clara think has turned her attacker mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Clara enters her house to get her diary, what does she experience, and who arrives?
2. How do the strong convictions of Wieland show his madness?
3. Since Clara is desperate from the loss of affection from Pleyel, why does she rush home to see Carwin, and why does she not have him arrested?
4. How is Carwin described in the newspaper?
5. Upon reaching her house, what does Clara find that is mysterious and makes her think Carwin has committed some strange deed?
6. When Carwin hears Judith's glowing tribute to Clara, how does he test it out?
7. How does Clara react to Wieland's confession?
8. When Clara heads towards home, what does she receive at Mrs. Baynton's?
9. Before Wieland can strike Clara, how does Carwin respond?
10. Why does Wieland thank God as he enters the room with Clara and Carwin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max and the Major's wife are two important characters that interact and experience a secret relationship together.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that the Major's wife had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Max had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why? What happens to each character?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Brown's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)