|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wieland's appearance when he appears in front of Carwin and Clara?
2. Where does Theodore lure Catherine?
3. With whom does Clara get reunited finally in Europe?
4. As Clara makes her way toward her house to retrieve an object, what does she pass?
5. What does Catherine plead for until her last breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carwin stop Wieland from killing Clara?
2. When Wieland is confused and disoriented, what actions do he and Clara take to prepare to fight?
3. How do the strong convictions of Wieland show his madness?
4. Upon reaching her house, what does Clara find that is mysterious and makes her think Carwin has committed some strange deed?
5. When Clara heads towards home, what does she receive at Mrs. Baynton's?
6. Upon seeing Clara in the room with the dead body, what does Wieland say and do?
7. What does Clara discover about Pleyele's lover?
8. How does Theodore Wieland, Clara's brother, admit his guilt upfront and explain the reason for his murder?
9. How is Carwin described in the newspaper?
10. Before Wieland can strike Clara, how does Carwin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist is written primarily in the third-person point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses these images to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this dystopian novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Catherine. What is her role in the story? What was Brown trying to accomplish by creating Catherine's character in the novel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)