|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wieland tell Clara to prepare for after he confronts her?
2. What does Clara interpret as Carwin's confession regarding Wieland?
3. As Clara makes her way toward her house to retrieve an object, what does she pass?
4. What does Pleyel read on his way to see Clara to discuss his conflicting feelings for her?
5. What is Clara hysterical with when she learns about the murders from Hallett?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wieland not kill Clara?
2. How does Clara recover from the trauma of the previous events?
3. What happens when Clara finds a note from Carwin?
4. When Clara wishes to see Wieland once more, what is Cambridge forced to admit?
5. How does Theodore Wieland, Clara's brother, admit his guilt upfront and explain the reason for his murder?
6. What gift does Carwin possess and what does he say about it?
7. Why does Clara appeal to Wieland about Carwin's deceit, and how does Wieland respond?
8. How does Clara react to Wieland's confession?
9. Upon seeing Clara in the room with the dead body, what does Wieland say and do?
10. How does Carwin stop Wieland from killing Clara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the power of the press in Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist. Is the press objective? What kind of media bias do they reveal? How are they influenced?
Essay Topic 2
Clara and Wieland are two of the most active characters affecting the storyline of the entire novel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Clara had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Wieland had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)